U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 AM

460 posts, read 721,904 times

Advertisements

You will find the best pho (and Vietnamese food) in the LA area (imo). Come and try it if you ever get a chance. 2nd best I've had goes to the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 03:45 AM

386 posts, read 550,744 times
I personally hate Pho but I love Vietnamese fried rice. Anywhere on Buford Hwy in Atlanta is usually rated pretty good for their pho. I have co workers that eat it like 4 times a week. So gross.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 AM

6,475 posts, read 6,195,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Pho (pronounced "F-uh")

Ok, so I'm not exactly sure how I've lived for 28 years not having discovered this amazing concoction before, but OH MY GOD...pho is awesomeness in its purest form! And fortunately, due to our large Vietnamese population, New Orleans has an array of phenomenal pho purveyors.

I've heard of several in the area, but recently had a chance to check-in at Pho Tau Bay here on the Westbank. Never have I been known for my reserved nature so I decided to go all in and try the Beef Combo, with brisket, tendon, and tripe...just as Anthony Bourdain said during his Layover episode here, its ABSOLUTELY SUBLIME

I also keep hearing much about Pho Bang in Metairie. I'll be headed there next...very soon.

So what about you? What's the best pho you've ever had?

Let me know. Ciao
All over Vietnam and the Far East. My first experience with Pho was in Thailand, actually. It was raining harder outside than anything I'd ever seen in my life. Like monsoon bad. We took shelter in this little store with the classic kiddie chairs and Coca-Cola themed plastic tables. There was a lady in there serving some concoction out of a giant cauldron. We were already there and hungry, so we tried it.

Fan-phocken-tastic!

Old 10-21-2013, 09:02 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,135,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
All over Vietnam and the Far East. My first experience with Pho was in Thailand, actually. It was raining harder outside than anything I'd ever seen in my life. Like monsoon bad. We took shelter in this little store with the classic kiddie chairs and Coca-Cola themed plastic tables. There was a lady in there serving some concoction out of a giant cauldron. We were already there and hungry, so we tried it.

Fan-phocken-tastic!
Thai, Laos, & Cambodian style Pho is different than Vietnamese Pho. Those are spicier & one usually puts sugar in it. Vietnamese don't use sugar in their Pho. If you ever go to a Vietnamese Pho restaurant & see an Asian person putting sugar in their bowl you automatically know they're not Vietnamese.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:03 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,583,738 times
I make a lot of my own Asian dishes. Many of the dishes I make, I use a premade paste I buy from the Asian food store as a base. I just wish some enterprising person would realize how desirable it would be to have a Pho base in a jar. I don't think it would be difficult to produce one. I make Thai soups all the time using the Thai preparations and the soups are as good as I get when I order one out somewhere.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,368,616 times
My only other wish is that pho was as good reheated the next day. Its not....the broth is usually creamier due to the noodles breaking down into the broth

Old 10-21-2013, 11:42 AM

6,475 posts, read 6,195,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Thai, Laos, & Cambodian style Pho is different than Vietnamese Pho. Those are spicier & one usually puts sugar in it. Vietnamese don't use sugar in their Pho. If you ever go to a Vietnamese Pho restaurant & see an Asian person putting sugar in their bowl you automatically know they're not Vietnamese.
I didn't know that. That's why it tasted a little different in Vietnam, I guess. Either way, it was good.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:27 PM

21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
A lot of good pho in the DC area, particularly in Northern Virginia!
I agree. Arlington VA (just outside DC) was the epicenter of the first popular Vietnamese restaurants in the US I know of, dating as far back as the 70s. Sadly one of the originals (Queen Bee) closed recently after a very long run.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:36 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,271,481 times
It seems like Pho really hit its peak of popularity in Houston about 7-8 years ago. I think it has waned a little, though there are a lot of noodle houses all over Houston that still do a booming business. I remember a little spot in Sugar Land that always had a long line for lunch. My co-workers referred to the line as the "Pho cue".

These days, I think It is more popular in Houston than it is in San Francisco, where Pho was a bigger deal maybe 10 years ago and Udon and Ramen tend to rule today. There's still plenty of Pho to be found, but lines out the door of places serving Ramen are much more common.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:13 PM

75 posts, read 98,450 times
This thread has nothing to do with what's popular in Houston. I'm not really sure why people keep making comments about houston completely out of context of the OP's question.

"What's the best pho you've ever had?"

No one asked about how many Vietnamese are in Houston.

Not being rude, I just don't want another thread closed because of the bickering that follows in conversations about Houston. Thats all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.