U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:51 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,120,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
It seems like Pho really hit its peak of popularity in Houston about 7-8 years ago. I think it has waned a little, though there are a lot of noodle houses all over Houston that still do a booming business. I remember a little spot in Sugar Land that always had a long line for lunch. My co-workers referred to the line as the "Pho cue".

These days, I think It is more popular in Houston than it is in San Francisco, where Pho was a bigger deal maybe 10 years ago and Udon and Ramen tend to rule today. There's still plenty of Pho to be found, but lines out the door of places serving Ramen are much more common.
Pho has been a popular ethnic food in Houston since the Vietnamese fishermen first arrived there in the 60's & 70's. It is still as popular as ever. Home made is always the best though of course.

Not sure it ever became "unpopular". There are just so many of them in Houston these days, on every corner almost like nail salons, that you don't see the long lines like 10 or 15 years ago when there were only a handful of good ones to eat at.

Last edited by JMT; 10-21-2013 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Let's keep this thread about pho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 03:01 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,366,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
You will find the best pho (and Vietnamese food) in the LA area (imo). Come and try it if you ever get a chance. 2nd best I've had goes to the Bay Area.
My family is in Los Angeles and I'm overdue for a visit. Do you mind recommending a few places? I bet there's some dynamite Vietnamese there!

Old 10-21-2013, 03:33 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
The best Vietnamese places I frequent locally are in Garland and Arlington outside of Dallas. With the exception of Alief and the West/Southwest side of Houston and California, its the best Vietnamese in the US. DC and Seattle are also hotbeds of good Vietnamese food in addition to the above.

Im actually not a huge Pho person though. I prefer Banh Cuon, Vermicelli, and Bo Luc Lac.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:44 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,580,201 times
What is gross about Pho, seriously? It's basically noodles, steak, bean sprouts, onions and basil, of course many variations of this... I can understand if you don't like tripe in it or something... but really?

Vietnamese food is probably the least "strange" of the asian cuisines, I mean they have sandwiches on french bread... come on.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:46 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,212,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What is gross about Pho, seriously? It's basically noodles, steak, bean sprouts, onions and basil, of course many variations of this... I can understand if you don't like tripe in it or something... but really?
The flavor of the broth is really what defines it.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

Vietnamese food is probably the least "strange" of the asian cuisines, I mean they have sandwiches on french bread... come on.
I tend to agree, but eh...different strokes. I, on the other hand, will have tripe, tendons, shank meat, scallions, and delicate rice noodles in the most exquisite hot beef broth imaginable. And why is Thai Basil so amazing ?!

Old 10-21-2013, 03:56 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,580,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
The flavor of the broth is really what defines it.
Yes...there is ginger, anise, cardamom, etc. in there. I guess if you don't liek that stuff it could be a turn off. Pho and sushi are my two go to asian meals I could eat over and over again.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:11 PM

63 posts, read 37,693 times
Dude...I'm not going to lie...I dominate some Pho. My fav is with rare steak...the Pho Tai.

All that I need to add to mine is a good mitt full of bean sprouts, a squeeze of lime, and a hearty shot of Sriracha.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkennyn View Post
Dude...I'm not going to lie...I dominate some Pho. My fav is with rare steak...the Pho Tai.

All that I need to add to mine is a good mitt full of bean sprouts, a squeeze of lime, and a hearty shot of Sriracha.
I normally feel that Sriracha could be used as currency, but in pho it adds too much sweetness for me. To get the heat, I add raw jalapeno slices. Mmm mmm mmm.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:04 PM

12,613 posts, read 15,076,634 times
NorCal, as well as SoCal has some great Vietnamese food. I am going for some great pho this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I would definitely imagine that NorCal has some great vietnamese food. I had a sexy bowl of shank meet pho last night at the Pho Festival here in New Orleans. I do believe it was my soulmate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.