U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 12:36 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,145,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
100% Philadelphia. I don't agree.

I'm from NYC, and I'd say I have a slight accent.
It primarily tested on vowel mergers and Philadelphia and New York share a lot of those features in common. One of the big differences on this quiz that might put you with Philly instead of New York, is you probably said you thought "on" rhymed with "dawn" and not "Don." If not, I have no idea.

I think adding a rhotic element to this quiz would have improved it, but I guess people could see those a mile away. Another thing really hard to test for is Philadelphia dark/swallowed "L" sound (balance ~ bounce).

Anyway, 87% Philadelphia. 76% Northeast. It seems New York doesn't exist as far as this quiz is concerned, which is definitely, definitely wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,703,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
It seems New York doesn't exist as far as this quiz is concerned, which is definitely, definitely wrong.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Adding something like how do you pronounce "water" (double d instead of t) would specify NYC/No Jersey/SW CT. Also surprised "Northeast" included RI, where, IMO, half the state has a Boston-ish accent - and where "wicked" is probably used as a modifier more than in Boston itself.

I only got 97% Northeast, but I think the last 12 years of living in Pittsburgh are starting to have an effect.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:28 AM

84 posts, read 117,403 times
"The Midland"...not where I am from, but the further explanation of "basically, you don't have an accent" is affirming yet slightly disappointing as well. I was born up North in NY state but have lived in North Carolina since I was six years old. I also grew up in an area of NC that is largely made up of people who were born in other states. Native southerners in NC tell me I have a "northern accent" from time to time; and when I visit relatives in Upstate NY, they tell me I have "southern accent". I've always thought I sound fairly neutral but then again my native southern friends and northern relatives think they sound "neutral" too...all of whom have accents that I can easily hear. My parents definitely still have hints of the nasally northern/great lakes accents that my relatives in NY have but after over 18 years down here it has subdued a little. My siblings who are younger than me have slight southern accents. I like accents; I tend to ham-up a southern accent when surrounded by southerners (especially elderly southerners) or the great lakes accent when visiting that area. I sometimes wish I had one naturally haha

Old 10-29-2013, 10:42 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,393,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
It primarily tested on vowel mergers and Philadelphia and New York share a lot of those features in common. One of the big differences on this quiz that might put you with Philly instead of New York, is you probably said you thought "on" rhymed with "dawn" and not "Don." If not, I have no idea.

I think adding a rhotic element to this quiz would have improved it, but I guess people could see those a mile away. Another thing really hard to test for is Philadelphia dark/swallowed "L" sound (balance ~ bounce).

Anyway, 87% Philadelphia. 76% Northeast. It seems New York doesn't exist as far as this quiz is concerned, which is definitely, definitely wrong.
Agree with this-the biggest difference between NYC and Philly accents is NYC is non-rhotic while Philly is rhotic.

Just don't tell New Yorkers that they don't pronounce their 'r's-they don't like to hear that haha.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 PM

84 posts, read 117,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncto... View Post
"The Midland"...not where I am from, but the further explanation of "basically, you don't have an accent" is affirming yet slightly disappointing as well. I was born up North in NY state but have lived in North Carolina since I was six years old. I also grew up in an area of NC that is largely made up of people who were born in other states. Native southerners in NC tell me I have a "northern accent" from time to time; and when I visit relatives in Upstate NY, they tell me I have "southern accent". I've always thought I sound fairly neutral but then again my native southern friends and northern relatives think they sound "neutral" too...all of whom have accents that I can easily hear. My parents definitely still have hints of the nasally northern/great lakes accents that my relatives in NY have but after over 18 years down here it has subdued a little. My siblings who are younger than me have slight southern accents. I like accents; I tend to ham-up a southern accent when surrounded by southerners (especially elderly southerners) or the great lakes accent when visiting that area. I sometimes wish I had one naturally haha
Let's try this again and see if CD will actually format it correctly with the breaks and without inserting HTML... "The Midland"....not where I am from, but the further explanation of "basically, you don't have an accent" is affirming yet slightly disappointing as well. I was born up North in NY state but have lived in North Carolina since I was six years old. I also grew up in an area of NC that is largely made up of people who were born in other states. Native southerners in NC tell me I have a "northern accent" from time to time; and when I visit relatives in Upstate NY, they tell me I have "southern accent". I've always thought I sound fairly neutral but then again my native southern friends and northern relatives think they sound "neutral" too...all of whom have accents that I can easily hear. My parents definitely still have hints of the nasally northern/great lakes accents that my relatives in NY have but after over 18 years down here it has subdued a little. My siblings who are younger than me have slight southern accents. I like accents; I tend to ham-up a southern accent when surrounded by southerners (especially elderly southerners) or the great lakes accent when visiting that area. I sometimes wish I had one naturally haha EDIT: Nope, looks like City-Data wants to continue to screw up my posts and leave out paragraph spaces I leave and turn my " into stupid HTML terms. Annoying.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,392,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncto... View Post
Let's try this again and see if CD will actually format it correctly with the breaks and without inserting HTML... "The Midland"....not where I am from, but the further explanation of "basically, you don't have an accent" is affirming yet slightly disappointing as well. I was born up North in NY state but have lived in North Carolina since I was six years old. I also grew up in an area of NC that is largely made up of people who were born in other states. Native southerners in NC tell me I have a "northern accent" from time to time; and when I visit relatives in Upstate NY, they tell me I have "southern accent". I've always thought I sound fairly neutral but then again my native southern friends and northern relatives think they sound "neutral" too...all of whom have accents that I can easily hear. My parents definitely still have hints of the nasally northern/great lakes accents that my relatives in NY have but after over 18 years down here it has subdued a little. My siblings who are younger than me have slight southern accents. I like accents; I tend to ham-up a southern accent when surrounded by southerners (especially elderly southerners) or the great lakes accent when visiting that area. I sometimes wish I had one naturally haha EDIT: Nope, looks like City-Data wants to continue to screw up my posts and leave out paragraph spaces I leave and turn my " into stupid HTML terms. Annoying.
They'll probably fix it once the entire site goes into its usual scheduled maintenance around 4:10am.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 PM

130 posts, read 201,290 times
I'm from Columbus, Georgia born and raised but for some reason most people think I'm from New Jersey or New York because I guess I don't have you're typical southern accent I've took that quiz before and it said I had a southern accent but for some reason most people down here tend to believe otherwise rather than take my word for it. Most people down here think I'm from up north but those really from up north usually know exactly where I'm from for the most part it never made sense to me because in all honesty I've never been north of Atlanta or west of Alabama for that matter all I really know is my city and the surrounding areas around it so I have no clue where I picked up my accent from.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:55 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,145,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Adding something like how do you pronounce "water" (double d instead of t) would specify NYC/No Jersey/SW CT. Also surprised "Northeast" included RI, where, IMO, half the state has a Boston-ish accent - and where "wicked" is probably used as a modifier more than in Boston itself.

I only got 97% Northeast, but I think the last 12 years of living in Pittsburgh are starting to have an effect.
Philly definitely does not pronounced the "t" as a "t" in wooder. I'm pretty sure that's a generic Northeast thing like Djeet yet?

As for Wicked, that's slang, not an accent. It's nice to know because it reflects on some shared cultural connections and possibly population movements, but it should not be confused with what linguists are primarily concerned about (which is vowel mergers and the like). It seems that the RI accent is hard to place. I used to think it was a part of the greater Boston/eastern NE accent, but it seems linguists put it as a part of the Northeast accent, but with strong Bostonian influences. That sounds like six of one and a half dozen of the other to me, though.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:12 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,026,385 times
inland north on the test, but everyone I know says I have a New York Accent.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 AM

213 posts, read 208,425 times
Neutral- I am from Arkansas & have only living in North Carolina. You think I'd have a southern accent-glad I don't!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or