U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 AM

11,888 posts, read 10,400,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Well, how about Scranton or Wilkes Barre? Uniform crime rates in those cities are only around 300. I live in a city in Texas about the same size (70,000) and our rate is 450 (Average for th is part of the world), and nobody here thinks about crime as being a problem. My life has never been affected by crime in this town, and neither has anybody else that I know. Generally, people here think it is a pretty safe place to live. Certainly not "riddled with crime". You'd be perfectly welcome to move down here with us, but you seem to like the northeast.

Your crime where you live is probably not nearly as bad as you think it is. Crime is the lifeblood of the news media, and the TV news and local paper will put any little crime at the top of the news.
I tend to agree. Besides, it seems when some former urbanites move to "crime free havens" all they do to occupy their time is keep daily tabs on all violent crime in American cities. Sad way to live IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 06:55 PM

56,737 posts, read 81,061,259 times
This may work too: Controls Technician - Ithaca, NY - Indeed Mobile

Electronics Technician - Ithaca, NY - Indeed Mobile

Audrey Edelman Realty USA - Welcome to Ithaca!

Town of Lansing, New York - Home
Village of Lansing, NY

Trumansburg Area Chamber of Commerce
Village of Trumansburg
Town of Ulysses, NY | Home

Again, both are in good school districts. Lansing has your usual suburban shopping and is a quick drive into Ithaca.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:32 AM

297 posts, read 497,246 times
I know he has applied to quite a few positions at BorgWagner, but I will relay these to him as well. Thanks!

Old 10-22-2013, 07:26 AM

These may work too: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWEbHos...5119&codes=IND

Western New York Jobs - Buffalo NY & Rochester NY, Employment Classifieds

Keep in mind with the Buffalo area, Niagara County gets about as much snow as the area you currently live in and when people talk about snow in the Buffalo area, it is the Southtowns that get the higher accumulations.

In Niagara County, you may like these towns near Niagara Falls: Village of Youngstown | Young in spirit, ageless in pride.
Town of Porter, New York (Youngstown, NY & Ransomville, NY) - Porter, NY Town Hall community information

Historic Lewiston, NY
Home
Town of Lewiston

Lower Niagara River Region Chamber of Commerce

Both of those communities are in the Lewiston-Porter SD, which is a good school district and it is near Lake Ontario and the Niagara River. Some parts of Lewiston inland may be in the also good Niagara-Wheatfield SD.

Wilson may also work: WILSONONTHELAKE.COM

Home

Village Of Wilson: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]

It also has very good schools.

You may like this town as well: Town of Grand Island, NY Website
Grand Island Chamber of Commerce - A Grand Place to Live, Work & Play

Again, it has good schools, but it is an island that is in between Niagara Falls and Buffalo.

RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 10-22-2013, 12:12 PM

Here's another company: Career Opportunities

and perhaps this company: Employment

Old 10-22-2013, 01:22 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,314,791 times
OP

In CT, look in far southeastern CT & anywhere in east central CT. Towns inland like Colchester in which you can get a nice roomy colonial on an acre + lot for well under $ 300,000. Smaller homes for less obviously. It's only half an hour to the coast on no traffic roads.

Or towns like East Haddam, which is on the CT River and yet only 20 minutes or so the coast.

Look into the Pawcatuck section of the town of Stonington which is an ocean front town. Also various areas of the town of Groton, also coastal. Check out too the town of Ledyard , one town in from the coast.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 10,326,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
The northeast has the lowest crime rate of all regions of the US; so I'm going to go with a yes to this question. Also the town i live in is one of the safest cities in America, and is in New York State; so I feel compelled to say with absolute certainty; the overwhelming majority of the NE is in fact not "riddled with crime"

Thank you for posting this. Outside of our cities, the NE is without doubt the safest. The highest crime region in the US is the South.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:09 PM

110 posts, read 193,150 times
Not sure what people consider safe, Connecticut just had a school shooting where 28 kids died. I live in Chicago and we don't even have school massacres. My neighborhood has had 26 murders over the last couple years COMBINED, Newtown had 28 in a day. That safe stuff is BS, if you live in a city you might be surrounded by gangs and might die from gangs, and you go out in the Northeast boondocks you might be surrounded by meth heads and nerds ready to shoot your children up in school. Safe my ass.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:23 PM

297 posts, read 497,246 times
I wish I could rephrase my question. I really didn't want to cause a debate. I only want suggestions for safe, affordable areas to raise a family in the northeastern area, within a 5 hour drive of NEPA. I know a lot of places near me have gone drastically downhill in the last few years, and I would not want to leave here and go somewhere else that is also heading in the same directions. I do not live in a city currently and don't want to move to one...just a personal preference.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:44 PM

626 posts, read 576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
Not sure what people consider safe, Connecticut just had a school shooting where 28 kids died. I live in Chicago and we don't even have school massacres. My neighborhood has had 26 murders over the last couple years COMBINED, Newtown had 28 in a day. That safe stuff is BS, if you live in a city you might be surrounded by gangs and might die from gangs, and you go out in the Northeast boondocks you might be surrounded by meth heads and nerds ready to shoot your children up in school. Safe my ass.
Illinois has a higher homocide rate than Conneticut:

FBI — Table 5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.