U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:20 AM

290 posts, read 494,778 times

Advertisements

We currently live in NE PA, and it has become overrun with crime. Is this the case everywhere?? We are looking to move, but don't want to move to another crime ridden area. We do not want to move into a major city. I would love to move into a seaport town, but I know they are expensive, and our choices would be limited. My husband does electronic work, and I am flexible in my job choices. Is there anywhere left that's safe and family oriented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 09:48 AM

21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
There are many areas. Coastal Connecticut around New London, Narragansett in Rhode Island, Falmouth in Massachusetts, Rockland in Maine, Chestertown or Easton in Maryland, Cape Charles in Virginia and Wrightsville Beach/Carolina Beach NC come to mind as several options.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:20 AM

56,533 posts, read 80,824,285 times
There are plenty of areas in the Northeast that have low crime, as it is the region with the lowest crime rate and many of the metros are highly ranked in this regard for their size. You may have areas of the cities with more crime, but the metros outside of these areas are largely safe/low crime.

If you don't mind, you may like something in Upstate NY, look into places like Sackets Harbor, Rouses Point, Clayton, Alexandria Bay, Chaumont, Cape Vincent, Tiiconderoga, Skaneateles, Cazenovia, Fair Haven and Cicero, among others.

These companies may work and would be close to some of these communities: United Radio - Careers - Quality Electronics Service Since 1923

Open Positions

Electronic Solutions Professional - Watertown, NY - Indeed Mobile

Electronic Systems Technician (162) - East Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

Seneca Falls may be another place to look into. There are some openings at ITT/Gould Pumps there: Electronics jobs in Seneca Falls NY - Indeed Mobile

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-20-2013 at 11:41 AM..

Old 10-20-2013, 10:49 AM

4,787 posts, read 9,292,750 times
Outside of the urban cores in major cities, any where in New England is safe . All the coastal area from CT , RI, MA through Maine are lovely. Cost of living will be your problem if you want to live on the coast however. Cost of living, home prices will be much higher than NE PA.

The only area this may not be true would be areas of the northern Maine cost. However, you could live in NE CT or NW RI, where the cost of living would be lower than other parts of those states and still be within an hour to the coast.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:23 PM

My husband has been looking for work in the Finger Lakes region for quite some time now without any luck. Many of the jobs seem to be through temp services. However, I will check out some of the towns you named up there. We haven't been to any of them. I LOVE the New England area, however, my husband doesn't want any more snow than we currently get here. I would trade crime for more snow any day, but he is adamant about it. We definitely want to stay within driving distance so that we can come see our family for holidays and the occasional long weekend. It doesn't HAVE to be a coastal town, because I know the cost would probably be too much for us. THat would just be my ideal dream!

Old 10-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
My husband has been looking for work in the Finger Lakes region for quite some time now without any luck. Many of the jobs seem to be through temp services. However, I will check out some of the towns you named up there. We haven't been to any of them. I LOVE the New England area, however, my husband doesn't want any more snow than we currently get here. I would trade crime for more snow any day, but he is adamant about it. We definitely want to stay within driving distance so that we can come see our family for holidays and the occasional long weekend. It doesn't HAVE to be a coastal town, because I know the cost would probably be too much for us. THat would just be my ideal dream!
Something to keep in mind about snow is that the areas known for getting it are generally prepared for it and usually take care of it in a timely manner. Like you mentioned, the amount of snowfall may be a deterant in regards to crime too.

Here is some information on some of the communities mentioned: Cazenovia Chamber of Commerce

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles

Home

Chaumont - Three Mile Bay Chamber of Commerce

Thousand Islands – Clayton Chamber of Commerce Online Vacation Planner for the Thousand Islands Region

Thousand Islands: Cape Vincent NY - Where Lake Ontario And the St. Lawrence River Meet in the 1000 Islands

Official Website: Alexandria Bay Chamber of Commerce, Thousand Islands NY

Fair Haven Area Chamber of Commerce. Discover Lake Ontario's Best Kept Secret.

Town of Cicero, New York

Seneca Falls, NY - Historic Gateway to the Finger Lakes

Old 10-20-2013, 02:16 PM

I would imagine all of the small towns near 1000 Islands would get the worst of the snow and cold weather? Rockland ME seems fantastic, but hubby would never go for the cold and snow up there!

Old 10-20-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I would imagine all of the small towns near 1000 Islands would get the worst of the snow and cold weather? Rockland ME seems fantastic, but hubby would never go for the cold and snow up there!
It can get snowy, but it is safe and the communities are very nice.

Areas of Upstate NY that get about the same amount of snow as where you currently live is in the eastern portion. Ticonderoga is on Lake Champlain and Lake George and could work. It is near Vermont too. Electronic jobs in Ticonderoga NY - Indeed Mobile

It is also near the Adirondacks. Port Henry may be another small town to consider and it is closer to those jobs in Vergennes VT(about 30 minutes vs. about 43 minutes). Ticonderoga is bigger though.

Town of Ticonderoga
Ticonderoga Area Chamber of Commerce

Port Henry - Moriah

This town in between may work too: Home

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-20-2013 at 05:26 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 PM

It looks like the Finger Lakes get about as much as us, but up towards the 1000 Islands, it's more than double! That's a lot of snow!

Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
It looks like the Finger Lakes get about as much as us, but up towards the 1000 Islands, it's more than double! That's a lot of snow!
It isn't quite double, but it is close. I would probably look at the eastern Upstate NY towns mentioned, as they get about the same amount.

Also, the Binghamton metro is a largely safe area and may work too. Electronic jobs in Binghamton ny - Indeed Mobile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.