U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 02:37 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,390,761 times

Advertisements

Hmm...not sure. I suppose the Florida Keys, but they get so many tourists that it's not really isolated, same goes for the Everglades. That's the thing about Florida, no place is really isolated, there are tourists everywhere. But I don't think that's a bad thing, I like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 02:42 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,503,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Hmm...not sure. I suppose the Florida Keys, but they get so many tourists that it's not really isolated, same goes for the Everglades. That's the thing about Florida, no place is really isolated, there are tourists everywhere. But I don't think that's a bad thing, I like it!
On a very crude Google Earth search, the most uninhabited part of florida seems to be Liberty and Franklin counties between Carrabelle, Apalachicola, Port St. Joe, Wewahitchka Hosford and Crawfordville. Is that true?

Old 10-31-2013, 02:58 PM

3,500 posts, read 4,956,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think in West Virginia, even though whole state seems to have a remote reputation, the Potomac Highlands seem the most remote.
That may be why the Green Bank National Observatory was located there - far far away from any lights that would interfere with stargazing.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:59 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,390,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
On a very crude Google Earth search, the most uninhabited part of florida seems to be Liberty and Franklin counties between Carrabelle, Apalachicola, Port St. Joe, Wewahitchka Hosford and Crawfordville. Is that true?
Well I know that some of those places like Carrabelle are very small, so is Dog Island which is to the south of it. Port St.Joe is also in the panhandle and a pretty small town too. Pretty much most places around the pan handle part of the state tend to be smaller and less populated.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:48 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,171,753 times
The most isolated populated place in Western Washington is probably Brooklyn. It used to be Lester, but that is now a ghost town as they bought out the remaining residents over a decade ago. Lester was/is in the upper Green River valley, but was only accessible from Eastern Washington via Stampede Pass. Brooklyn is an isolated logging/farm community located in the middle of hundreds of square miles of commercial and state forest land. It is accessed via the North River Rd. off US-101 between Aberdeen and Raymond or via a windy forest arterial to Oakville towards the east side of the coast hills.

East of the Cascades as mentioned before is Stehekin, only accessible via the 50 mile long ferry ride down Lake Chelan. Ferry County is also extremely isolated. To access Republic the county seat requires either taking a ferry, traversing Washington's highest highway mountain pass crossing, entering in from Canada, or crossing a shorter mountain pass and desolate drive west from the Okanogan Valley.

The extreme SE corner is also very isolated. It may look close to Lewiston-Clarkston on a map, but take a closer look at the those windy roads and canyons that separate the southern part of Asotin County from Clarkston.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:56 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,930,817 times
Northern Tip of New Hampshire between VT, Canada and Maine. Refered to the Great North woods around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.