U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:59 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times

Advertisements

Name the places where your car has broken down far from home on a trip, and you were unexpectedly delayed at least half the day, or where somebody local helped you get on your way quickly when you thought it would be major, or you were detained for some other reason.

Since I mostly drive beaters, I have quite a long list of them:

Guntersville, Alabama
Ukiah, California (overnight)
Brunswick, Georgia
Pekin, Illinois
Rockford, Illinois (overnight)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (accident, totalled)
Manistique, Michigan
Kansas City, Missouri
Missoula, Montana
Browning, Montana
State College, Pennsylvania
Providence, Rhode Island (overnight)
Elkins, West Virginia
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (accident, near totalled)
North Sydney, Nova Scotia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 04:00 PM

63 posts, read 37,650 times
I broke down once between Phoenix and San Diego. I was about 45 minutes east of Yuma.

I thought I was a goner.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:48 PM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
The day before my 21st birthday on the lower deck of the viaduct on I-93 going into Boston my transmission blew out. Not awesome at all.

After my car got towed I really wanted to drink. The clerk at 3rd store that carded me after hearing my plea and a little arm twist let me buy the bottle. After that sh*tty night a great birthday and new car followed thereafter.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:55 PM

33,881 posts, read 42,096,122 times
In front of my house, fuel pump on the F-150. 2013
Outside of town here, bad ignition module on the Lumina. 2013
Cook's Forest, PA, ignition coil on the F-150. 2006

Outside Sigel, PA, got stuck, bad belt, wore down the battery, Grand Prix. 1983
Croom, MD, seized brake cylinder on a Cavalier. 1990
Outside town here, idler pulley on a Taurus. 2001
Bad fuel pump and pulled idler arm, Brookville, PA, Galaxie. 1973
Clarion, PA, bad starter, a different Grand Prix. 1978

Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times
I've been pretty lucky, my car has always decided to strand me within busing or begging distance from home. I think the only time I have been stranded in a difficult position was while I was living in (Henderson) Kentucky and visiting Evansville IN. My car died and I pushed it into a Target parking lot. I don't remember what the problem was.

I've only been stuck on an interstate once, on I-65 just south of downtown Indianapolis. The timing chain busted on the engine, which translates into that car was given do not resuscitate orders. It was no fun sitting on the interstate, but the Indiana State Police are cool and I was able to hop a bus home.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:17 PM

390 posts, read 784,487 times
Forsyth, Georgia. Hicktown USA

Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,574,519 times
Pasco, WA transmission
Yakima, WA alternator
Burns, OR, alternator again. Thank God it happened in town. There is nothing for 150 miles in any direction.
Louisburg, KS everything. The car was a total waste.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:46 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,152,361 times
I-75 between Sault Ste. Marie and St. Ignace, MI at 3 AM. Truly the middle of nowhere at an ungodly hour. A car LOADED with people stopped within 20 minutes and gave me a ride into the Soo, wouldn't take a dime for gas or anything. Car was in town and running by 7AM thanks to one of the local gas stations and their miracle worker who was stuck on night shift. He charged me for the part and nothing else.

I-75 again right in Flint, MI right at rush hour. A set of points broke on my 1970 Opel Kadette, a small service station was right off the freeway and I hopped the fence and walked down to the shop. He quick went up and towed it down to the shop where he discovered what was wrong. Called all over town looking for the part and finally found it across town. Drove me over to buy it, then back where he charged a poor college student a cup of coffee to replace it and waved the tow charge.

I-70 in the Rifle, CO area. My Ford Ranger started to miss and lose all power (like you could even tell on a danger Ranger) when I pulled off the freeway into a tiny station. Turns out the muffler I had been meaning to replace for the last 6 months or so due to a rattle had finally had something break free inside and was blocking the flow of exhaust. Guy cut it free, slapped on an aftermarket muffler and I was on the road in less than 3 hours and only $50 lighter in the wallet.

I-95 Medway, ME. Blew a front hub on my Nissan Pathfinder. Pulled it into a canoe sales place where he called one of his friends who owns a repair shop in town. Guy steps away from his supper table, comes back into town for the tow truck, Tows the vehicle to his shop. Then takes me back to the canoe shop where my family is waiting. The owner of the canoe shop stays around a couple hours after closing so I can wait for someone to come and give the family a ride. His wife comes into town with supper and feeds all of us so we wouldn't have to walk to the restaurant down the road while we are waiting. I buy the replacement hub the following morning and nobody gives me a bill. NOBODY. Not for the tow, not for the labor to replace the hub, not for the meal, not for anything. One of the best memories of a potential nightmare evening turning into a great adventure.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:21 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)

10,462 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Guess I've been pretty lucky. I used to take a lot of road trips but most of my breakdowns happen near home. The only notable exception I can think of was having a van full of kids and having my transmission blow at a rest stop in Texarkana, almost 300 miles from home. Not a lot of fun being stranded for hours in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of restless preteens!
Fortunately a few calls on the cell phone had parents on their way to pick kids up and arrangements made to get the van fixed. Spent a long day at Texarkana motel bored out of my mind, lol.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:56 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 17 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,833,943 times
Far from then home, Texas in a U-Haul is the only one I can remember. The mechanic found us and luckily fixed the truck. I could see us unloading the entire contents of a house and reloading it into another truck. I can't imagine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or