Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 04:01 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,354,739 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON — Whites continued to decline as a share of the American population in 2009, and they now represent less than half of all 3-year-olds, according to a Brookings Institution analysis of census data released Monday.
The country’s young population is more diverse than ever, with whites now in the minority in nursery schools, preschools and kindergartens in eight states — Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas — and the District of Columbia, according to William H. Frey, a demographer at Brookings. That was up from six states in 2000.
“We are on our way to having a majority of minority students in U.S. schools,” Mr. Frey said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/us...nandemigration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 04:02 AM

719 posts, read 2,662,389 times
cool story, bro

Old 02-12-2011, 04:10 AM

617 posts, read 1,420,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
WASHINGTON — Whites continued to decline as a share of the American population in 2009, and they now represent less than half of all 3-year-olds, according to a Brookings Institution analysis of census data released Monday.
The country’s young population is more diverse than ever, with whites now in the minority in nursery schools, preschools and kindergartens in eight states — Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas — and the District of Columbia, according to William H. Frey, a demographer at Brookings. That was up from six states in 2000.
“We are on our way to having a majority of minority students in U.S. schools,” Mr. Frey said.

This is why our country's education system is not on par with some of the rest in the world, this is not a bash against minorities because I am one myself but it's the truth. I do not want to get all political here but I see some groups of minorities that come here and prosper with their first and second generations and others that have been here for 3 generations and still can't get ahead. I am latino BTW so don't start accusing me of racism please I just call 'em like i see 'em.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:

This is why our country's education system is not on par with some of the rest in the world, this is not a bash against minorities because I am one myself but it's the truth. I do not want to get all political here but I see some groups of minorities that come here and prosper with their first and second generations and others that have been here for 3 generations and still can't get ahead. I am latino BTW so don't start accusing me of racism please I just call 'em like i see 'em.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:17 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,354,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Yeah, Japan, South Korea and Finland don't have these problems.But it's fixable...If Asian Americans can succeed with this education system, why Hispanics/Blacks couldn't ?

Old 02-12-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Japan, South Korea and Finland don't have these problems.But it's fixable...If Asian Americans can succeed with this education system, why Hispanics/Blacks couldn't ?
The main reason why I believe Hispanics/Blacks have less success rates than say Asian kids is due to family relations and how the kid is brought up. I truly believe that Asian parents make getting an education a higher priority than some other groups of minorities.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,271,144 times
Quote:
This is why our country's education system is not on par with some of the rest in the world, this is not a bash against minorities because I am one myself but it's the truth.
No, that's exactly what you are doing.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:46 AM

92,579 posts, read 122,890,392 times
It doesn't make sense to compare minorities monolithically in the first place. There's different histories, arrival patterns, group sizes and variation within general racial/ethnic groups. So, those things need to be taken into account, along with other things.

Also, a flaw with this view is that Whites are still the biggest group pluralistically and Hispanics can be of any race, as it I an ethnicity, not a race. So, Whites are still the biggest group and have an economic advantage in term of poverty rates/household income, etc.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 PM

963 posts, read 2,404,187 times
Quote:
Of course they succeed. If they don't, Tiger Mom will chain them in a basement with a violin until they crank out Chopin. This may or may not be a bad thing.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:35 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,783,060 times
Quote:
I think a major reason for this is money. I'm a latino as well and as
much as I wanted to go to a good school I just didn't have it. My parents encouraged me to do so but I just simply couldn't sit in a room with AC in college while my 50+ father would work his butt of in 100 degree weather. I ended up dropping out with the purpose to someday hire my father, make money, and someday return to school. So far I have done really good and even though I can easily go to school I haven't just to see how far I can get without a degree. I do plan on going back but it will just be for the sake of knowledge and not to attain a particular degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.