U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 AM

21,191 posts, read 30,372,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryBrownBear View Post
Hi guys. I would like to discus which state has the best quality of life. I mean lower unemployment, more job opportunities, better economy, lower crime, lower consumer prices, etc… and other things; in other words the better balance of everything.

I suggest it could be some of the states in Midwest area, for example, Minnesota or maybe Colorado. Or possibly the other area such as Maine or Washington? I understand that for many people the best state is the state where they live, but let’s be unbiased

So, what is your opinion?
Based on those criteria it would appear North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota if one looks at unemployment rates, crime rates and "overall economy", however most don't limit "quality of life" to those criteria alone. Weather, cultural/social opportunities and political leanings are as important as the economics to most and largely those states are lacking in the positive aspects of those categories. I think as already pointed out "quality of life" is too broad to define on the state level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 06:43 AM

11,780 posts, read 8,593,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
NOT California. I would say: Washington, Oregon, Minnesota, Virginia, Maine, Colorado and Vermont.
Ironically, California is the only US state to ever place high on any quality of life or happiness index (and even then it is just one or two cities). Normally, the better cities are all in Canada, at least as far as the N. American continent goes anyway.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 AM

6,475 posts, read 6,186,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Pacific NW, Upper Midwest and New England states.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Based on those criteria it would appear North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota if one looks at unemployment rates, crime rates and "overall economy", however most don't limit "quality of life" to those criteria alone. Weather, cultural/social opportunities and political leanings are as important as the economics to most and largely those states are lacking in the positive aspects of those categories. I think as already pointed out "quality of life" is too broad to define on the state level.
What do you mean by cultural/social opportunities? How would Minnesota be lacking in that?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 AM

17,249 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
North Dakota has amongst the lowest population density but a ton of jobs.
Well, I suppose it might be great for the tiny number of people living in that huge state.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:42 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Many polls and magazine articles have tried to answer this question, and have come up with (usually) the same results as iNviNciBLe3, above. Except they included Hawaii, too.
Yes Hawaii.
I also forgot Colorado and Utah....
You could probably throw in New York, California and Florida in there as well. High cost of living but high wages and world class cities.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 PM

21,191 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
This.

What do you mean by cultural/social opportunities? How would Minnesota be lacking in that?
Reading comprehension much?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,186,053 times
Quote:
Reading comprehension much?
...cultural/social opportunities and political leanings are as important as the economics to most and largely those states are lacking in the positive aspects of those categories.

I'll ask again. What do you mean by cultural/social opportunities?

Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 PM

204 posts, read 249,693 times
Look low crime, low unemployment are fine and all, but those states (North and South Dakota) have a terrible QOL. There is nothing to do but drunk there. Look it up. Rates of teenage alcoholism is high. Those states have no culture and nothing to do. The weather is terrible. Quality of life is more than being able to afford bread. It's being able to enjoy life, so my list is this (in no particular order):

1) California
2) Colorado
3) Texas
4) New York
5) Florida

Old 10-23-2013, 09:03 PM

17,249 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
High cost of living but high wages and world class cities.
Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey and Maryland fit this description to a T. They are also the most densely populated states in the U.S.

But somehow I doubt that everyone will agree with this definition of high quality of life.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:50 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,446,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
Look low crime, low unemployment are fine and all, but those states (North and South Dakota) have a terrible QOL. There is nothing to do but drunk there. Look it up. Rates of teenage alcoholism is high. Those states have no culture and nothing to do. The weather is terrible. Quality of life is more than being able to afford bread. It's being able to enjoy life, so my list is this (in no particular order):

1) California
2) Colorado
3) Texas
4) New York
5) Florida
That's funny. I live in South Dakota and have a good quality of life. I rarely have time to do all the things I enjoy. The key is to find a place that matches your preferences. It also depends on where you live. Yeah, there's nothing to do but get drunk if you live on the rez, other areas are a different story. Some people prefer small town life rather than cities. Some people prefer the outdoors to clubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.