U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:57 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Some of these criteria tend cancel each other out. For example, states with more job opportunities and higher incomes - such as East Coast states - usually have a higher cost of living as well.

Minnesota, Colorado, Maine and Washington all have low population densities. So, they do not have the most job opportunities.
Over 60% of Minnesotans all live within the Twin Cities metro area. The state has an extremely strong, healthy and robust economy. Do you really think most people in Minnesota live like Little House on the Prairie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 08:13 PM

2,219 posts, read 1,301,825 times
In order:

Maryland, Texas, Washington, Minnesota, Massachusetts

Honorable Mention (Tier 2): New Jersey, Colorado, California, Virginia, and New Hampshire

Old 09-09-2016, 02:44 AM

972 posts, read 738,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Pacific NW, Upper Midwest and New England states.
It seems states that are higher percentage non-Hispanic white seem to have higher quality of life.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:20 PM

20,848 posts, read 35,948,307 times
Pacific Northwest, Upper Midwest, and northern New England.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:48 PM

187 posts, read 157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
It seems states that are higher percentage non-Hispanic white seem to have higher quality of life.
??? California and New York have some of the lowest non-Hispanic White populations in the United States but are among the best for quality of life.

Anyways, I would have to agree with the statement that the upper-Midwest, I.E North Dakota, Iowa, MN, Wisconsin, etc, the Northeast(anything north of Virginia and east of Ohio and the West Coast have the best quality of life.

Then again, I think you have all states have very nice areas and very bad areas. So it all comes down to the area, not the entire state you live in.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:51 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,162,799 times
Colorado seems to be the most liked US State now for some reason. I like Texas as well but the heat and humidity would kill me even being from Miami Beach it is too much for me. California is great as well if you can afford to live in the Bay Area or San Diego.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:39 PM

1,676 posts, read 742,594 times
If you can afford it, Hawaii. It's usually ranked up there in lists along with Vermont and other places like that.

The truth is, the large cities are great for many things--maybe even living for a few years--but generally are just better for a vacation. Pollution, higher crime rates, expense, noise and crowds, lack of natural spaces...this is not how humans are meant to live. We're animals, after all. The great thing about places like VT or HI is that they're not too crowded and have access to lots of nature, and are mostly clean. And for those who like urban activities, there's cities in them, though not too large.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:44 PM

1,676 posts, read 742,594 times
I'm a bit surprised by all those saying FL or CA here. A few decades ago, for sure. Beaches, mainly affordable, nice weather, nice scenery, mostly clean...but that's why everyone flocked there. And now that they've become more crowded, cost of living increased a ton, as did traffic, pollution (mostly in CA), drought in CA, crowds...CA and FL are great if you can afford it, but now, like NY, are mostly better just for a visit.

I've lived in CA for seven years and we had to leave because it just isn't the same as it used to be. I miss it and it's a lovely state, but QOL isn't what it used to be, and that's why so many are moving away for places like Atlanta.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:55 PM

972 posts, read 738,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
??? California and New York have some of the lowest non-Hispanic White populations in the United States but are among the best for quality of life.

Anyways, I would have to agree with the statement that the upper-Midwest, I.E North Dakota, Iowa, MN, Wisconsin, etc, the Northeast(anything north of Virginia and east of Ohio and the West Coast have the best quality of life.

Then again, I think you have all states have very nice areas and very bad areas. So it all comes down to the area, not the entire state you live in.
I do not think California has a good quality of life? There is like 35% of the pop who are pretty wealthy and have good living standards then the rest are pretty poor....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.