Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:28 PM

97 posts, read 188,071 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I would like to discus which state has the best quality of life. I mean lower unemployment, more job opportunities, better economy, lower crime, lower consumer prices, etc… and other things; in other words the better balance of everything.

I suggest it could be some of the states in Midwest area, for example, Minnesota or maybe Colorado. Or possibly the other area such as Maine or Washington? I understand that for many people the best state is the state where they live, but let’s be unbiased

So, what is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 05:30 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,230,272 times
Probably Vermont and New Hampshire.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:45 PM

97 posts, read 188,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Probably Vermont and New Hampshire.
Why?

Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,698,562 times
No one can truly answer this question because no one lives in a state.

They live in city neighborhoods or small towns or suburbs or off the grid, and any states can have a multitude of all of those, each with different qualities of afforadbility, job opportunities, cultural opportunities, weather, safety, etc. And for most people some of those factors will be more important than others. So I don't think you can generalize about overall, general QOL on a state by state basis. You can be live in a wretched slum in any state of the union and a wealthy cul-de-sac in any state of the union. But you're not living in the whole state, just a piece of it. Which is why its really impossible to compare whole state on QOL.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:51 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,391,524 times
Pacific NW, Upper Midwest and New England states.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:52 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,247,352 times
Many polls and magazine articles have tried to answer this question, and have come up with (usually) the same results as iNviNciBLe3, above. Except they included Hawaii, too.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:42 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,210,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Pacific NW, Upper Midwest and New England states.
This pretty much sums it up.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:43 PM

27,274 posts, read 28,346,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryBrownBear View Post
Hi guys. I would like to discus which state has the best quality of life. I mean lower unemployment, more job opportunities, better economy, lower crime, lower consumer prices, etc… and other things; in other words the better balance of everything.
Some of these criteria tend cancel each other out. For example, states with more job opportunities and higher incomes - such as East Coast states - usually have a higher cost of living as well.

Minnesota, Colorado, Maine and Washington all have low population densities. So, they do not have the most job opportunities.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,133,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Some of these criteria tend cancel each other out. For example, states with more job opportunities and higher incomes - such as East Coast states - usually have a higher cost of living as well.

Minnesota, Colorado, Maine and Washington all have low population densities. So, they do not have the most job opportunities.
Actually there are plenty of job opportunities. Texas is a HUGE state with a moderate population density, yet a crapload of jobs. North Dakota has amongst the lowest population density but a ton of jobs.

A great indicator of quality of living would be GDP/capita adjusted for cost of living. Another would be the healthiest cities/states, because where people are healthy they are also generally happy.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM

23,293 posts, read 23,675,512 times
NOT California. I would say: Washington, Oregon, Minnesota, Virginia, Maine, Colorado and Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.