U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 AM

5,677 posts, read 4,898,492 times

Advertisements

When I was 18 I hitch hiked from Calif. to Mass. and found the people on the east coast distant and distrustful and insecure.
I was from southern calif. and a resort town , so SOP is being friendly , and I was treated like a weirdo back east .
I can't switch gears like that , something would snap.
Even my own relatives in Ill. had a superficial acceptance but to be honest ,didn't care if I was there or not.
I was especially glad to get home.
I had traveled the continent later for a year and a half Canada to mexico and met folks from every walk of life , of course this was 40 odd years ago .
I would love to do that again to see how the world has matured sense then .
I liked Canada a lot , Most of the folk were either hot or cold ,few I met were neutral, but the culture was about 50years behind at the time which I liked a lot.
Mexico people are friendly because they think you are rich ,that will never change. Parents want me to marry their daughters and so on , do not want to live there fir sure. I like the mexican people but not interested in being married for the wrong reasons.
Much as I love the southern accent, I feel too vulnerable around southern women , I suppose that if I Had growed up listening to that accent I would be impervious to it , but I'm not, y'all.
Probably the issue of motivation to be friendly, is what many folks fear because the only time they are friendly is if they want something.
Where for some of us it is merely a sense of community.
It seems to me that the need to survive probably inspired being friendly like the pilgrims working it out with the indians.
The eastern european are usually very protective about their skills and technology and the mentality drifts westward it seems the less folks feel they need one another.
Just a few years ago I went to a seminar teaching on how to work on a particular piece of machinery, factory requirements. and the other mechanics noted that it was unusual for folks to share their skills like I was doing during the break times. And it reminded me of a time when men coveted their skills, and did not share them with the public.
It was a source of income they could not afford to compromise. if you were a black smith you whole family was into it and the secrets of the trade were never revealed .
This was insurance for the future. there is no being friendly about this issue.
This is a level of friendliness or the lack there of, that for centuries isolated men from one another.
When men began to share these skills, it changed every thing and technology advanced rapidly ,especially being away from the superstitious of Europe that put Leonardo Di Vinci down.
The internet is a break through in being friendly I really enjoy ,people helping one another .
though we do not agree, fact remains, dialog takes two. And we learn.
Thank you all for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 11:33 AM

6,531 posts, read 7,487,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Im curious to the obvious social differences. From a brief visit to Toronto a few years ago didnt notice much difference...

Canadians, especially Anglophone Canadians are not that different from Americans in the Midwest. Internationally Canadians have a reputation for friendliness just like Americans do. The one difference is that the Canadians may be a bit more reserved then we are, something they may have picked up from a longer period of British rule. Overall they are very similar to us.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:58 AM

43 posts, read 115,766 times
When people say 'new York is not friendly' they are always speaking of NYC. Ny is a very big state and a lot more than NYC. I live in upstate New York and people here are extremely friendly and warm. My husband is from France and he simply couldn't believe at first how people would hear his accent and immediately tell them their whole life story. At first, like many Europeans he found it odd and a bit over the top. Now he loves it! Every time we're in Europe he says he misses it because its like in America everyone treats you like a friend you've known for your whole life. It's nice.
That being said I think that Australia and New Zealand are also known for being very friendly and outgoing places and they were also founded by europeans (at least in their current forms). I think in both scenarios you had 'frontier' type people who 'founding' new countries to be different from the old in some way breaking away from part of the culture they were trying to escape. Europeans who came to America were coming largely because they were not accepted in Europe, Australians were banished criminals, again not accepted. Perhaps overtime these sentiments turned into a more optimistic and idealistic approach to life?

Old 11-28-2015, 04:20 AM

931 posts, read 615,753 times
A melting pot of immigrants breed friendliness and hospitality.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:56 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,389,506 times
I'm old enough to remember when Americans were not so friendly. I think the big shift came with the happy-face buttons and the obligatory "Have a nice day" that ran like a wildfire through all cashiers and shopkeepers. It became a condition of employment for people with public exposure marketplace jobs. Triggered largely by the hippie movement throwing flowers around and singing coombayah. So that would have been a rather gradual movement into about the early 70s.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:48 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,175,961 times
The name Texas means "friends/allies", and the state motto is "Friendship".

Old 11-28-2015, 10:06 AM

5,970 posts, read 7,340,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Im curious to the obvious social differences. From a brief visit to Toronto a few years ago didnt notice much difference...
I'd like to know as well. I was there in September and didn't notice any difference really.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:04 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,281,660 times
Brad...

Here just a few differences, between Canadians and Americans.

In the city of Toronto, which is the largest in Canada, there are exactly TWO retail shops that sell firearms. TWO. Ponder that for a minute......

In the almost 150 years that Canada has been a self governing country, we have had ONE politician who was killed while in office......and his case was found to be a bungled robbery in front of his boarding house in Ottawa, after a late night sitting of Parliament, and the year was 1869. Compare that to the US, starting with Lincoln......

Canada has never started a war with any one...........But the ones that we have fought in....we have been on the winning side every time. Canada HAS been invaded twice before.............BY the USA both times. And both times were a defeat for guess who ?

Canada's motto is ....Peace, Order and Good Government.

We do what we say we will do, support our friends, and help other countries. Not a bad plan, eh ?

Jim B.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:10 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,509,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Brad...

Here just a few differences, between Canadians and Americans.

In the city of Toronto, which is the largest in Canada, there are exactly TWO retail shops that sell firearms. TWO. Ponder that for a minute......

In the almost 150 years that Canada has been a self governing country, we have had ONE politician who was killed while in office......and his case was found to be a bungled robbery in front of his boarding house in Ottawa, after a late night sitting of Parliament, and the year was 1869. Compare that to the US, starting with Lincoln......

Canada has never started a war with any one...........But the ones that we have fought in....we have been on the winning side every time. Canada HAS been invaded twice before.............BY the USA both times. And both times were a defeat for guess who ?

Canada's motto is ....Peace, Order and Good Government.

We do what we say we will do, support our friends, and help other countries. Not a bad plan, eh ?

Jim B.
Alright, but we're talking about people here CC, not wider societies. You're just making us look arrogant and obnoxious by bragging like this here in such a context!

Old 11-28-2015, 11:58 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,281,660 times
Isn't a society made up of "people " ? Of course it is.

The points that I made were specific to the differences between Canada and the USA. Societal differences.

Was there anything that I wrote that you think was incorrect ? If so please point it out to me.

Jim B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or