Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: where would you go
Florida 16 34.78%
Hawaii 14 30.43%
Australia 6 13.04%
Caribbean 7 15.22%
California 13 28.26%
Arizona 4 8.70%
South Texas 2 4.35%
Mexico 2 4.35%
Argentina 3 6.52%
New Zealand 9 19.57%
Pacific Islands 4 8.70%
Thailand 4 8.70%
Other 9 19.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 06:31 PM

147 posts, read 280,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm not sure people want summer in winter, just to avoid single digits and snow.
From people I've talked to, you're right.

Some people just want pleasant weather that they can enjoy. Like driving for dinner at night and not have to dress for battle of the coldness just to make it to the car and crank the heat up as soon as you're inside.

I was talking to a friend who winters in Tucson, and I was telling her that Tucson is too "cold" for me. I like it HOT! Like tropical 80º to 90º degree type of hot for my winters.
And she said the same thing you said. She just likes it pleasant where she can walk her dog in the morning with just a light jacket or light coat (in Tucson is does dip down to the mid-40s some mornings), but she says it's sunny 90% of the winter, warm 60s and 70s, and she can go about her day without the hassle of snow, cold snaps, etc. Like she would have to endure up here in the North.
I can see her point. Not everyone wants summer in winter, just pleasant weather where they can go outside and breathe.
But as for me, I personally like HOT HOT weather. Like Caribbean or Hawaii type of hot. So while she's in Tucson, I'll be on a island somewhere.
Hadn't made the leap of buying a winter home yet, there are just too many locales to choose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Given the chance I'd leave the country and do something I haven't done before. Florida or the Caribbean seem very dull if I could do the South Pacific, Australia, or Thailand.

I'd go for chilling on a nice beach on one of the Islands ad Thailand, and head for Bangkok for excitement.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:45 PM

147 posts, read 280,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Given the chance I'd leave the country and do something I haven't done before. Florida or the Caribbean seem very dull if I could do the South Pacific, Australia, or Thailand.

I'd go for chilling on a nice beach on one of the Islands ad Thailand, and head for Bangkok for excitement.
Oh yes!! I agree! If the world is your option why settle because it's near. Florida or the Caribbean doesn't scream adventure as other parts of the planet do...

Old 10-29-2013, 10:48 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
My career in fishing has taken me to winter/live in South Florida, Costa Rica and Venezuela in the past. The past couple of years I've been getting into the hunting we have here in MD so I haven't had much desire to travel anywhere. But now again, I am getting that itch to escape January and February here at home and go somewhere warm. But in the future it will be S. FL. I like the stretch between Palm Beach and Stuart the best.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:47 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Miami! Guaranteed warmth! Even though I know some cold snaps can reach that far South in winter!

Many think I'm being facetious when I say I'd like to escape these windy, cold winters here in Las Vegas and have a winter condo somewhere else, but it's the windchill many overlook!

Tonite is the first night I'm going to need a winter jacket to take a walk with my ferret in my neighborhood!

Old 10-30-2013, 01:11 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
I am having a hard time hearing people say it's too chilly in Arizona. If we are thinking about the entire Southern half of the state, we have an issue. Places like Flagstaff, Payson, or Prescott I could understand, but I'm going to assume we are talking about Phoenix or Tucson since that's what most people think of when they talk about Arizona.

Our highs during the winter are between 70-80 degrees in the southern half of the state. Sometimes we have wind but it's usually pretty still. At night time it can be pretty chilly (40s, roughly) which isn't even that cold for the majority of this country. Usually not a single cloud in the sky, and it might rain like one day out of the entire short-lived season.

Me? Personally, I wouldn't leave this state in the winter since it's too nice here, but I would probably take a vacation to somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere (New Zealand, Pacific Islands region) since it's in good weather. And I would not pick Australia because about the majority of the island has the same climate as the Sonora Desert of Arizona in the summer, so why would I do that? :P

Old 10-30-2013, 02:02 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I'm heading in the direction of Tucson, in a year or 2, been watching the temps for Tucson for 3 solid years, and I have the desert intelligence now, to factor in windchill, Tucson' doubling of altitude from Phoenix, and those cold nights when there's no clouds in the sky! That can be a chiller, no clouds in the sky! And wind!

I always cheer, in the middle of winter here, and it calls for heavy cloud cover! Hooray! Hooray! Even if it gets down to the mid-30's that night I'm going to feel warmer, as clouds act as a blanket over the city!

I'm already thinking, too chilly in Tucson, I'll head south to Hermosillo or Guaymas to warm up?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:15 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post
From people I've talked to, you're right.

Some people just want pleasant weather that they can enjoy. Like driving for dinner at night and not have to dress for battle of the coldness just to make it to the car and crank the heat up as soon as you're inside.

I was talking to a friend who winters in Tucson, and I was telling her that Tucson is too "cold" for me. I like it HOT! Like tropical 80º to 90º degree type of hot for my winters.
And she said the same thing you said. She just likes it pleasant where she can walk her dog in the morning with just a light jacket or light coat (in Tucson is does dip down to the mid-40s some mornings), but she says it's sunny 90% of the winter, warm 60s and 70s, and she can go about her day without the hassle of snow, cold snaps, etc. Like she would have to endure up here in the North.
I can see her point. Not everyone wants summer in winter, just pleasant weather where they can go outside and breathe.
But as for me, I personally like HOT HOT weather. Like Caribbean or Hawaii type of hot. So while she's in Tucson, I'll be on a island somewhere.
Hadn't made the leap of buying a winter home yet, there are just too many locales to choose from.
Question. Have you lived in a place that is tropical or close to tropical year round? While it may be fun to vacation there as a snowbird, it isn't so great if you are there year round.

Another question for anybody, would you guys agree that Jan-Feb make the most sense to escape for those living up North? December often still isn't that bad, and at least there are holiday parties and the holiday spirit up through New Years to keep you going. March often starts to warm up at least some days w/ more sunshine...

Old 10-30-2013, 09:27 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Question. Have you lived in a place that is tropical or close to tropical year round? While it may be fun to vacation there as a snowbird, it isn't so great if you are there year round.

Another question for anybody, would you guys agree that Jan-Feb make the most sense to escape for those living up North? December often still isn't that bad, and at least there are holiday parties and the holiday spirit up through New Years to keep you going. March often starts to warm up at least some days w/ more sunshine...
Yes, agree with this. I don't get the winter blues until late January or even February-I think I'm going to Puerto Rico in a few Months as preventive measure haha. And as March rolls around things warm up quite a bit.

If cost were no objective I'd be in Fiji or as some posters suggested Thailand. Or I'd island hop BVI, US VI, Barbados, Aruba, Trinidad and Tobago, and anywhere else I haven't been yet in the Carribean.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post

That's true. I went to Dubai in late February of this year. It's nice to go somewhere off-the-wall different like that if you have the resources for it. It was a lot more international than I expected it to be.

I'm not that excited about dirty and run-down places though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.