U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree?
YES 9 47.37%
NO 10 52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 05:07 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,940,491 times

Advertisements

I think that it's a million times easier to access Vermont from the NYC area compared to Florida. Flying is a pain and you have to factor in the congested routes to the airports, the arrival at least 90 minutes early, the inevitable delays, the parking and airfare, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 05:14 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,580,201 times
But he is already driving 6 hours away... and has to drive. Personally I'd rather fly 3 hours and wait a bit than drive 6 hours. The point was, if already going that far, you might be able to afford some other get away places and just fly there b/c of NYC's awesome flight connections. Driving out of NYC then coming back and paying tolls is more of a PITA to me, esp driving straight into Manhattan, it can take an hour or more to get in and out of there. Also the OP seems to be keeping a car in Midtown Manhattan, gotta be expensive, if not.. then chalk up rental fees and gas and flying is going to be cheaper.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:29 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,545,497 times
I used to commute to Vermont from the Philly area in less than 6 hours.
I would think that NYC would only be just over 4. Once you hit the Thruway or Taconic, its smooth sailing. A fast, easy trip.
Just do it!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:38 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,545,497 times
Sort of related ~ when I flew in and out of Vermont, it was very convoluted. We had to drive to New Hampshire, Burlington or Albany and take one of those cropduster prop-planes with the overhead wings to an airport that handled larger planes on some occasions, same in reverse coming back. Usually get off the big plane in Pittsburgh, take the turbprop to Albany, drive to Rutland from Albany. So, flying only gets you close to Vermont or way upstate, it is still going to involve lots of car time.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:30 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,940,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
But he is already driving 6 hours away... and has to drive. Personally I'd rather fly 3 hours and wait a bit than drive 6 hours.
Yeah, maybe it's because I hate flying, but to me, an hour in an airport or on a plane is a hell of a lot worse than an hour in a private car, or on a train.

I hate the lines, the blaring announcements, the cramped spaces, recycled air, yelling security staff, etc. Flying generally sucks, as do airports, even in business class.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 PM

34 posts, read 46,376 times
If you live north of NYC (Westchester, Rockland, Putnam), VT is more accessible, so I would say go for it. However, if you live on Long Island, forget it--don't waste your money. I know a few New Yorkers who either own or have owned property in VT, and all live north of NYC.

Also, depending on where in VT you purchase your getaway home will determine whether or not it's too far away for frequent use. For example, Bennington is a lot closer and more easily accessible to NYC than Stowe, and FWIW, Vermont is not an easily navigable state.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 AM

56,676 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Why not consider a part of Upstate NY for a getaway home? There should be plenty of communities/homes that would work too.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,704,896 times
It's not a bad drive, but you don't want to go via I95 or Hutch/Merritt to CT to I91 on a Friday night. That'll add an hour or more due to traffic. Stick to I87N (or even Taconic if you're comfortable driving it). Or go up on any other night.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 PM

6,489 posts, read 16,166,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Yeah, maybe it's because I hate flying, but to me, an hour in an airport or on a plane is a hell of a lot worse than an hour in a private car, or on a train.

I hate the lines, the blaring announcements, the cramped spaces, recycled air, yelling security staff, etc. Flying generally sucks, as do airports, even in business class.
I'm with you. I fly enough for work. It's a dehumanizing experience, and 25% of my trips by plane are affected by some sort of delay/complication. I don't look forward to flying on "my time." For a long trip overseas, I'll put up with flying, but for regular weekend jaunts, I'd be happier driving or taking Amtrak out of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or