U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree?
YES 9 47.37%
NO 10 52.63%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 06:59 PM

147 posts, read 224,222 times

Advertisements

What do you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 07:48 PM

56,553 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Not really, but where in VT is it located and would you consider similar areas not too far away?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:58 PM

12,648 posts, read 10,492,420 times
He's not from NYC, he's from a town about 40 miles west, a bit to the south, as well, from NYC here in NJ, but my second cousin owned a home in Manchester, VT he used fairly often. He recently sold it but had it for about 10 years. He was a hunter and liked winter sports, so he preferred going in the winter months and otherwise rented it out or let us (his family) use it from time to time. The shortest I ever went up there was for a four day weekend, and travel time wasn't bad at all. It was always enjoyable, I really enjoyed the times I spent in Vermont with family - it was definitely a lot of fun. I wish he kept the house.

If you love the area, and could see yourself going there, I don't see why you wouldn't use it. It's not a bad enough drive from NYC/the area if you're staying in southern VT.

If you want to go for weekends, like Friday-Sunday it might be a bit of a drive (depends on you, though) but for extended weekends, holidays, vacations, time off, etc it would be great. I think it depends on your circumstances, but do I think it's too far? No, and I know someone who owned a house in VT from the NYC area and loved it.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not really, but where in VT is it located and would you consider similar areas not too far away?
I was looking all over Vermont, but fell in love with a couple of homes in Washington County, VT according to GoogleMaps it's about a 5 to 6 hour drive from Midtown Manhattan (where I live).
Other places, a bit closer, I was looking at is Columbia County, NY. Which is about a three hour drive from NYC.
I'm looking for a acreage and organic "gentleman's" farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
He's not from NYC, he's from a town about 40 miles west, a bit to the south, as well, from NYC here in NJ, but my second cousin owned a home in Manchester, VT he used fairly often. He recently sold it but had it for about 10 years. He was a hunter and liked winter sports, so he preferred going in the winter months and otherwise rented it out or let us (his family) use it from time to time. The shortest I ever went up there was for a four day weekend, and travel time wasn't bad at all. It was always enjoyable, I really enjoyed the times I spent in Vermont with family - it was definitely a lot of fun. I wish he kept the house.

If you love the area, and could see yourself going there, I don't see why you wouldn't use it. It's not a bad enough drive from NYC/the area if you're staying in southern VT.

If you want to go for weekends, like Friday-Sunday it might be a bit of a drive (depends on you, though) but for extended weekends, holidays, vacations, time off, etc it would be great. I think it depends on your circumstances, but do I think it's too far? No, and I know someone who owned a house in VT from the NYC area and loved it.

Thanks! I was looking for a personal experience. I am mostly concerned with the drive. I know two people who have homes in Vermont and said the same thing. I'll use it for vacations, long holiday weekends, etc.
But I would use it from time to time as a quick getaway (Leave Thursday late afternoon/evening to Sunday night---arrive in NYC Sunday night) And I wasn't sure if that was feasible.
It's not southern Vermont, it's in Washington County which is like Central/Northern VT. Five to six hour drive from the city.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:23 AM

12,648 posts, read 10,492,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post
Thanks! I was looking for a personal experience. I am mostly concerned with the drive. I know two people who have homes in Vermont and said the same thing. I'll use it for vacations, long holiday weekends, etc.
But I would use it from time to time as a quick getaway (Leave Thursday late afternoon/evening to Sunday night---arrive in NYC Sunday night) And I wasn't sure if that was feasible.
It's not southern Vermont, it's in Washington County which is like Central/Northern VT. Five to six hour drive from the city.
If you plan on using it at those times, I think you'll be fine. I also think Thursday-Sunday is enough time, personally, but Friday-Sunday IMO would be pointless. Good luck!!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:04 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,938,110 times
You're not too far. Vermont is filled with weekend and summer homes for people from the NYC area.

Also look into adjacent areas of Upstate NY and Western Mass though. These areas are similar to VT.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
My uncle used to live in Long Island and have a ski getaway home in Southern Vermont. I think it was approx. a 4 hour drive when there no major traffic issues.

So it is definitely possible.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-25-2013, 12:02 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,559,220 times
Why would it be, people in NYC have second homes and/or timeshares in Florida.

Just so you don't think I'm crazy...

Right now you can book tickets round trip from NYC to Miami for 228 after tax, but I'm sure you can get them cheaper if not booking right before the holiday season. The flight time is 3hours and 15 minutes, even add an hour and a half for taking a taxi and waiting for an hour at security and you are at less than the time it's going to take you to drive out of NYC to Vermont. Plus you'll spend about 120 on gas. Overall, a bit cheaper, but... not so much, and you aren't saving any time.

I'm based out of Chicago which is almost identical distance in flight time to Florida to see my parents in 2 parts of the state fairly regularly, even on 3 day weekends, it's not as time consuming as you think, esp if considering a place 5-6 hour drive away, if you are going that far, you open up places all along the east coast, Florida, maybe somewhere in NC/GA to go to in a similar time frame. I usually come to work Thursday with a suit case, leave directly from work, take subway to airport, then fly a red eye back in Monday morning or come back late Sunday night and back in the office. I mean, if you were buying somewhere on the Shore, Poconos or out on Long Island an hour out, truly a weekend anytime place, then, it's a diff story.

It's no wonder so many people from NYC and Chicago have places, moved to, or family in Florida, way more so from NYC though.

The top 2 air corridors by passengers in the U.S. are

1. Miami-Fort Lauderdale area and New York City area
2. Los Angeles Basin area and San Francisco Bay area

btw

5. Atlanta area and New York area
7. New York area and Orlando, Fl., area

LA to SF is usually about 1/2 that price round trip, and half the time, but what's another 100 bucks and another hour and a half if you can be in tropical Miami like no one's business.

Last edited by grapico; 10-25-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-25-2013, 12:19 PM

56,013 posts, read 54,523,130 times
It's an easy drive. I'm in central Jersey and recently went up to south-central Vermont for three nights/four days. It was only about five and a half hours. I will be returning there.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Why would it be, people in NYC have second homes and/or timeshares in Florida.

Just so you don't think I'm crazy...

Right now you can book tickets round trip from NYC to Miami for 228 after tax, but I'm sure you can get them cheaper if not booking right before the holiday season. The flight time is 3hours and 15 minutes, even add an hour and a half for taking a taxi and waiting for an hour at security and you are at less than the time it's going to take you to drive out of NYC to Vermont. Plus you'll spend about 120 on gas. Overall, a bit cheaper, but... not so much, and you aren't saving any time.

I'm based out of Chicago which is almost identical distance in flight time to Florida to see my parents in 2 parts of the state fairly regularly, even on 3 day weekends, it's not as time consuming as you think, esp if considering a place 5-6 hour drive away, if you are going that far, you open up places all along the east coast, Florida, maybe somewhere in NC/GA to go to in a similar time frame. I usually come to work Thursday with a suit case, leave directly from work, take subway to airport, then fly a red eye back in Monday morning or come back late Sunday night and back in the office. I mean, if you were buying somewhere on the Shore, Poconos or out on Long Island an hour out, truly a weekend anytime place, then, it's a diff story.

It's no wonder so many people from NYC and Chicago have places, moved to, or family in Florida, way more so from NYC though.

The top 2 air corridors by passengers in the U.S. are

1. Miami-Fort Lauderdale area and New York City area
2. Los Angeles Basin area and San Francisco Bay area

btw

5. Atlanta area and New York area
7. New York area and Orlando, Fl., area

LA to SF is usually about 1/2 that price round trip, and half the time, but what's another 100 bucks and another hour and a half if you can be in tropical Miami like no one's business.

So are you saying that I should move to South Florida instead? Funny you bring that up, because with the cold settling in I often let that option float around in my head. But if I do, then I'll have to forfeit getting a home with some land and opt for a condo instead. A complete 360 change in lifestyle from what I would get in Vermont.....I'll just have to think of my options and what I want. But this coldness is making me think of warmer climates a lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or