U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 7,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You would be surprised...
Surprised at what? Texans' openness to dating Asian men? You've been an advocate of Texas, but can you explain how Austin, Dallas, or Houston fit the criteria, the way others have with Minneapolis?

Also, I too doubt white Texans' openness to Asians. I've seen more than one of what I call "Texas belles"... those dolled-up white women that seem to have privileged backgrounds and nice lives, but are airheaded and don't seem open to meet people that have a background different from them. Kinda like the Texas version of Orange County....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 12:02 PM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLobo View Post
Surprised at what? Texans' openness to dating Asian men? You've been an advocate of Texas, but can you explain how Austin, Dallas, or Houston fit the criteria, the way others have with Minneapolis?

Also, I too doubt white Texans' openness to Asians. I've seen more than one of what I call "Texas belles"... those dolled-up white women that seem to have privileged backgrounds and nice lives, but are airheaded and don't seem open to meet people that have a background different from them. Kinda like the Texas version of Orange County....
Thanks, I would be curious to hear as well.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:21 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,192,209 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Thanks, I would be curious to hear as well.
First off, Im going to come out and say it. You both seem to be laboring under false stereotypes of the Texas cities and dont seem to have a shred of actual knowledge about the place.

Now thats out of the way, Ill tell you that the Dallas and Houston areas are statistically the two most ethnically and racially integrated major metropolitan areas in the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/31/us...anted=all&_r=0

18.2% of all couples in the state of Texas are mixed race. Texas ranks 6th in that category behind Hawaii, Nevada, California, Alaska, and (due to tribal mixing) Oklahoma.

Also, and I say this with lots of love for Minneapolis for what it is, its is absolutely insulting to compare the diversity, integration, and multiculturalism in Dallas or Houston to Minneapolis/St. Paul. The two Texas giants have such huge international populations including Asians, Africans, Hispanics, Arabs, etc. Minneapolis/St. Paul has very large communities of Hmongs, Somalis, and Ethiopians, but those are the only areas of the Twin Cities diversity that really stand out.

I look at my own group of friends as evidence. I have friends from many different cultures and many mixed race friends (yes those include white girls with Asian men).

Im not going to convince you to do anything, but drop the stereotypes (both of you). Youre just wallowing in ignorance to be clinging to them.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:42 PM

56,571 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
First off, Im going to come out and say it. You both seem to be laboring under false stereotypes of the Texas cities and dont seem to have a shred of actual knowledge about the place.

Now thats out of the way, Ill tell you that the Dallas and Houston areas are statistically the two most ethnically and racially integrated major metropolitan areas in the US.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/31/us...anted=all&_r=0

18.2% of all couples in the state of Texas are mixed race. Texas ranks 6th in that category behind Hawaii, Nevada, California, Alaska, and (due to tribal mixing) Oklahoma.

Also, and I say this with lots of love for Minneapolis for what it is, its is absolutely insulting to compare the diversity, integration, and multiculturalism in Dallas or Houston to Minneapolis/St. Paul. The two Texas giants have such huge international populations including Asians, Africans, Hispanics, Arabs, etc. Minneapolis/St. Paul has very large communities of Hmongs, Somalis, and Ethiopians, but those are the only areas of the Twin Cities diversity that really stand out.

I look at my own group of friends as evidence. I have friends from many different cultures and many mixed race friends (yes those include white girls with Asian men).

Im not going to convince you to do anything, but drop the stereotypes (both of you). Youre just wallowing in ignorance to be clinging to them.
Minneapolis/St.Paul also has a Native American community, quite a few Hispanics on St. Paul's west side and into the city of West St. Paul and Minneapolis had an African American female mayor in the 90's. There is diversity in many of the first and second ring suburbs at various degrees too. While I'm not saying that it is on par those 2 TX metros, but it isn't necessarily without diversity either.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Minneapolis/St.Paul also has a Native American community, quite a few Hispanics on St. Paul's west side and into the city of West St. Paul and Minneapolis had an African American female mayor in the 90's. There is diversity in many of the first and second ring suburbs at various degrees too. While I'm not saying that it is on par those 2 TX metros, but it isn't necessarily without diversity either.
I know that MSP has diversity, it just isn't close to the level of Dallas or Houston.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:47 PM

5 posts, read 7,067 times
How about the popularity and availability of outdoor activities and endurance sports in Dallas and Houston? And how nice is the Galveston beach? I hear cycling is quite popular thanks to Lance Armstrong, but I hear Houston is reputed to be an obese city. Also I hear the Gulf is oily.

Another question: Are there many singles in Dallas, Houston, or Minneapolis? Moving to any of those three is all for naught, if the people are already married or have children early, like they do in Albuquerque. I'm hoping to meet my future wife.

Last edited by CaliLobo; 10-27-2013 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
How about the popularity and availability of outdoor activities and endurance sports in Dallas and Houston? And how nice is the Galveston beach? I hear cycling is quite popular thanks to Lance Armstrong, but I hear Houston is reputed to be an obese city. Also I hear the Gulf is oily.

Another question: Are there many singles in Dallas, Houston, or Minneapolis? Moving to any of those three is all for naught, if the people are already married or have children early, like they do in Albuquerque. I'm hoping to meet my future wife.
Thats why I suggested Austin. Its not as diverse as Dallas or Houston, but its on the same level as Minneapolis/St. Paul and it has more options in the way of outdoor activities. Dallas and Houston do have some outdoor activities available, Houston has the beach and Dallas has a lot of lakes, but Austin will have more in the way of hiking, biking, hills, etc.

Whether you choose Austin, Dallas, Houston, or Minneapolis, there are lots and lots of singles who will date Asian men. Dont worry about that.

FYI, in regards to your post about me not understanding the prejudice against Asian men, I dont think so. Im Arab and my wife is Thai. My wifes brother now lives in Fort Worth (right next to Dallas) and has a white girlfriend. His girlfriend before that (in Las Vegas) was black.

If there have been difficulties, I havent seen them. Most of it is who you surround yourself with.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:00 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
Arizona is growing more purple, but there are a lot of conservatives and liberals here (as there always have been) and nearly all of them are "live and let live". Phoenix is pretty close to San Diego in my opinion, and kind of similar to LA, with a more "laid-back" attitude than Cali. Climate wise, just warmer than Albuquerque. And more dry.

People like to hike the mountains in the morning or late evening also. Near Phoenix we have two lakes, Lake Pleasant in the west and Lake Roosevelt in the east where people like to go on boats and things like that. It's also an easy drive to the beach, and an even easier drive up North which have ski resorts and great trails as close as a two hour drive. In the winter , from October to March, you will find people outside often. Expect the complete opposite from April to September though. The heat is like an acquired taste and it will grow on you like a parasite.

We have a lot of Asians here and I think that you will see a higher ratio of them near Tempe. Tempe will also have the best dating scene out of the entire city (and is close to a lot of jobs) so I suggest that for you to look in this suburb for a place to live also. Or in the near vicinity. It is also close to the river which has tubing and I see marathons in Tempe every once in a while.

Also, I know nothing about the legal market here...

Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,314,520 times
Quote:

Everybody in Minneapolis-St. Paul is married, sorry.

I'm not sure what your question really is, because obviously the % married by region is going to be roughly the same. Some cities are better places for singles for various reasons, from the culture to the people to the economy (of all things). The Twin Cities are culturally very open and easy-going, so that's one thing that works in its favor. The Asian community in particular seems to be one of the easiest places to find somebody, in my experience (Asian girls are aggressive!). But one thing that works more against the area is that, compared to Dallas and Houston at least, there are far fewer % of people who are new to the area looking to form relationships (friends or more).

Old 10-28-2013, 08:21 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,314,520 times
Quote:
Thats why I suggested Austin. Its not as diverse as Dallas or Houston, but its on the same level as Minneapolis/St. Paul and it has more options in the way of outdoor activities. Dallas and Houston do have some outdoor activities available, Houston has the beach and Dallas has a lot of lakes, but Austin will have more in the way of hiking, biking, hills, etc.
I will strongly contend that Austin does not have more outdoor amenities than the Twin Cities, where you can ski, skate, sled, etc. outside in your neighborhood park if you want to (and most people do). There are also hills and hiking in the Cities, especially along the Mississippi River bluffs, which is part of the Driftless Region, a very old hilly swath of America. I don't know which city is "hillier" though....

Driftless Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think that was the point you were trying to make and I don't mean to nitpick, but you can't make a strong blanket statement like that without getting a little opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or