U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2013, 08:51 AM
 
21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Reputation: 19609

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I know that MSP has diversity, it just isn't close to the level of Dallas or Houston.
Clearly you're the one who's misinformed.


Minneapolis

White: 63.8%
Black or African American: 18.6%
American Indian: 2.0%
Asian: 5.6% (1.9% Hmong, 0.9% Chinese, 0.7% Indian, 0.6% Korean, 0.4% Vietnamese, 0.3% Thai, 0.3% Laotian, 0.2% Filipino, 0.1% Japanese, 0.2% Other Asian)
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: 0.1%
Other: 5.6%
Multiracial: 4.4%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 10.5%[46] (7.0% Mexican, 1.3% Ecuadorian, 0.4% Puerto Rican, 0.3% Guatemalan, 0.2% Salvadoran, 1.3% Other Latino)


Dallas

According to the 2010 Census, 50.7% of the population was White (28.8% non-Hispanic white), 25.0% was Black or African American, 0.7% American Indian and Alaska Native, 2.9% Asian, 2.6% from two or more races. 42.4% of the total population was of Hispanic or Latino origin (they may be of any race).[118]
At the 2006-2010 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates, among the Hispanic population, 36.8% of Dallas was Mexican, 0.3% Puerto Rican, 0.2% Cuban and 4.3% other Hispanic or Latino

Houston

According to the 2010 Census, Whites made up 51% of Houston's population; 26% of the total population were non-Hispanic whites. Blacks or African Americans made up 24% of Houston's population. American Indians made up 0.7% of the population. Asians made up 6% (1.7% Vietnamese, 1.3% Chinese, 1.3% Indian, 0.9% Pakistani, 0.4% Filipino, 0.3% Korean, 0.1% Japanese), while Pacific Islanders made up 0.1%. Individuals from some other race made up 15.2% of the city's population, of which 0.2% were non-Hispanic. Individuals from two or more races made up 3.3% of the city. People of Hispanic origin, regardless of race, made up 44% of Houston's population

Austin

White: 68.3% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 48.7%)
Hispanic or Latino: 35.1% (29.1% Mexican, 0.5% Puerto Rican, 0.4% Cuban, 5.1% Other)
African American: 8.1%
Asian: 6.3% (1.9% Indian, 1.5% Chinese, 1.0% Vietnamese, 0.7% Korean, 0.3% Filipino, 0.2% Japanese, 0.8% Other)
American Indian: 0.9%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.1%
Two or More Races: 3.4%

From an Asian perspective it's clear that Minneapolis is a better fit given the demographic breakdown. High ratios of mixed race households in Texas primarily consist of Hispanic/Caucasian combinations as I know in the South Caucasian/Asian or Hispanic/Asian couples are extremely rare despite whatever kind of spin you'd like to place on it. The OP was looking for cities where dating outside of one's ethnicity isn't unusual and/or socially avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2013, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
Reputation: 10279
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Clearly you're the one who's misinformed.

.
Get your facts right son. Not only did you use different sources, but you misinterpreted them. Ill make it simple for you:

American FactFinder - Results *

Dallas/Fort Worth Demographics:

White Alone: 49.0%
Hispanic: 28%
Black: 15.0%
Asian: 6.4%

Greater Houston Demographics:

White Alone: 38.8%
Hispanic: 35.9%
Black: 17.9%
Asian: 7.3%

Minneapolis/St. Paul Demographics:

White Alone: 77.8% (and climbing)
Black: 9.0%
Asian: 6.5%
Hispanic: 5.5%

So CLEARLY, Minneapolis is far less diverse than the other two no matter how you want to project your own lack of knowledge on top of the issue.

As for mixed race dating, get real. You dont have a clue about what goes on here. Youre just stereotyping and taking it as fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 AM
 
21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Reputation: 19609
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Get your facts right son. Not only did you use different sources, but you misinterpreted them. Ill make it simple for you:

American FactFinder - Results *

Dallas/Fort Worth Demographics:

White Alone: 49.0%
Hispanic: 28%
Black: 15.0%
Asian: 6.4%

Greater Houston Demographics:

White Alone: 38.8%
Hispanic: 35.9%
Black: 17.9%
Asian: 7.3%

Minneapolis/St. Paul Demographics:

White Alone: 77.8% (and climbing)
Black: 9.0%
Asian: 6.5%
Hispanic: 5.5%

So CLEARLY, Minneapolis is far less diverse than the other two no matter how you want to project your own lack of knowledge on top of the issue.

As for mixed race dating, get real. You dont have a clue about what goes on here. Youre just stereotyping and taking it as fact.
Great, so you found numbers to manipulate your argument as well. Mine were 2010 US Census numbers. Despite your obvious cheerleading efforts I think most with any sense of what's going on would conclude that Texas of all places isn't the best place to go for an Asian-American seeking acceptance and/or dating inter-racially...end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
Reputation: 10279
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Great, so you found numbers to manipulate your argument as well. Mine were 2010 US Census numbers. Despite your obvious cheerleading efforts I think most with any sense of what's going on would conclude that Texas of all places isn't the best place to go for an Asian-American seeking acceptance and/or dating inter-racially...end of story.
No, you just misread your own numbers. The numbers I posted are from the 2012 census estimates.

But ok, lets use the 2010 census numbers:

Dallas/Fort Worth:

White Alone: 50.2%
Hispanic: 27.5%
Black: 15.4%
Asian: 5.9%

US2010

Houston:

White Alone: 39.7%
Hispanic: 35.3%
Black: 17.3%
Asian: 7.0%

US2010

Minneapolis/St Paul:

White Alone: 78.6%
Black: 8.4%
Asian: 6.4%
Hispanic: 5.4%

US2010

And those are the numbers. There is nothing to manipulate, this is pure hard data.

Those links also measure segregation between the groups. Admitedly, segregation between Asians and whites in Houston is a little higher, but is similar between the two in Minneapolis/St Paul and Dallas/Fort Worth.

The bottom line is this is the way it is. This is hard data that your ignorance cannot run from. Get some actual knowledge or dont bother posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Get your facts right son. Not only did you use different sources, but you misinterpreted them. Ill make it simple for you:

American FactFinder - Results *

Dallas/Fort Worth Demographics:

White Alone: 49.0%
Hispanic: 28%
Black: 15.0%
Asian: 6.4%

Greater Houston Demographics:

White Alone: 38.8%
Hispanic: 35.9%
Black: 17.9%
Asian: 7.3%

Minneapolis/St. Paul Demographics:

White Alone: 77.8% (and climbing)
Black: 9.0%
Asian: 6.5%
Hispanic: 5.5%

So CLEARLY, Minneapolis is far less diverse than the other two no matter how you want to project your own lack of knowledge on top of the issue.

As for mixed race dating, get real. You dont have a clue about what goes on here. Youre just stereotyping and taking it as fact.
Why did you add "and climbing" to the White Alone population? It's probably falling at a faster rate than Houston or Dallas......you had some good points up until you did that, when you lost your credibility.

I'm not sure why we're debating which city is more diverse, because even though I'm from the Twin Cities I know they aren't the most diverse. Between Minneapolis and St. Paul, St. Paul has by far the larger Asian presence, so using Minneapolis in lieu of St. Paul isn't really great advice, personally.

I'm sure all three cities would fare well for what the OP wants, now it just comes down to his decision. I think we're beating a dead horse at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times
Reputation: 4270
By the way.....the TC's black population jumped from 8.4% to 9.0% in two years?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4,370 posts, read 5,140,359 times
Reputation: 3896
I wouldn't suggest Seattle if you're looking for a wife. Not only is it insular, but the women are mega feminist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
Reputation: 10279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Why did you add "and climbing" to the White Alone population? It's probably falling at a faster rate than Houston or Dallas......you had some good points up until you did that, when you lost your credibility.

I'm not sure why we're debating which city is more diverse, because even though I'm from the Twin Cities I know they aren't the most diverse. Between Minneapolis and St. Paul, St. Paul has by far the larger Asian presence, so using Minneapolis in lieu of St. Paul isn't really great advice, personally.

I'm sure all three cities would fare well for what the OP wants, now it just comes down to his decision. I think we're beating a dead horse at this point.
This was based off the American Community survey link from the first post I gave data. It does show that in the example, however given the margin of error I should not have made that statement. Therefore, I officially retract it. Thank you for respectfully pointing it out.

However, my other points still stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2013, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,090,292 times
Reputation: 2136
Seattle or Honolulu would be your best bet. San Diego, while it has a growing Asian population, does have some degree of xenophobia, mainly from the wealthy White people residing in areas like La Jolla, etc. Just like OC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Salinas, CA
15,016 posts, read 4,795,880 times
Reputation: 8076
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLobo View Post
Hello, I've been a lurker for a while and now I just signed up!

I'm 33, Asian-American, born in Los Angeles. Currently I live in New Mexico and work as a criminal lawyer. I enjoy my work, and I enjoy the snowboarding, hiking, and running here, but Albuquerque isn't fully my cup of tea because although it's the friendliest place I've lived (friendlier than the Midwest!), it's an insular culture in which the people settle and marry early.

As someone who is still single at 33, meeting my future wife is a priority for me. But it's slim pickings here in Albuquerque (NM in general!) because it's too small and insular, and people marry or have children early here.

That's why I don't think I'll be here for the rest of my life.

But at the same time, although Los Angeles is the best place in the world to be (in my biased opinion) if you're single and 33 (people are beautiful in LA!), it's hard to meet your future wife there, as people in LA are unstable financially, emotionally, and career-wise.

Where are the women that are relatively stable, and open to dating a career-minded, family-oriented, but open-minded Asian man?

There's no perfect city, and I know moving won't solve all my problems. But I'm looking for a city that:

1) Has access to outdoor activities and is a place where endurance sports are popular
2) Has single women who are open to date Asian men
3) The society is not xenophobic, but is accepting of Asians
4) Access to water is a plus, but not a dealbreaker
5) I don't prefer a crowded city like New York or Boston. I'm not 21 anymore and I don't like constant stimulation. I like the peacefulness of a smaller city.
6) Is not uptight, intense, and angry like DC (I've lived there), Baltimore (extended family there), or Philadelphia (ugh lol)
7) The presence of good international food is a plus, but not a dealbreaker
8) Good clothes shopping is a plus so I don't have to drive 6 hours to Denver! (Not a dealbreaker though!)
9) Has a thriving market for lawyers! (I need work to survive!)
10) Seattle and San Francisco seem too leftist for me. They seem intolerant of Western religion, for example. (To summarize, I've recently fallen away from religion, but knowing me, I might return.) And I'd rather have Midwestern/East Coast four seasons more than the yearlong gray and cold of these two places.

None of these factors are dealbreakers in themselves. I'm looking for a good combination.

Here are my candidates:

1) Los Angeles - My home, so I will always love it. Excellent cuisine! No shortage of things to do; I'm still discovering it! Access to water. You can find your niche--every ethnicity, hobby, religion, and political view is represented. It's a megacity but doesn't feel like one with its vast suburbia. I know how to navigate the traffic; I know the freeways like the back of my hand. Aside from West Hollywood and West LA, it's not as liberal as people think.

But: Though most are still single up to their 30s, they tend to be unstable. The legal market isn't that great. Living in LA means I return home for good; it's the end of my adult adventures. It's racially diverse but segregated. It's possible to live here only having Asian friends, but I don't like that. Remember, I'm not talking about cities with the most Asians; I'm talking about which cities tolerate and accept Asians.


2) Denver - Everyone seems to love it. No access to water, but outdoors and endurance sports are very popular. Seems like people are happy there! People aren't as unstable as LA people, it seems.

But: Is the job market good? I hear mixed things about the dating scene; I hear people marry early in Denver. I hear it's somewhat xenophobic and white-centric. Is Denver really all it's cracked up to be?


3) Kansas City or Wichita - Having lived in Kansas for two years, this is crazy but Kansas feels like my second home. I've grown to love it for what it is. I've found that the stereotypes about conservatism aren't that true. Don't know about the Midwest as a whole, but I don't find Kansas City to be that much more conservative, friendly, or slow than my hometown in suburban Los Angeles. Attitudes in KC are much like those in the coasts, and there are still quite a few 30s singles in KC! I've met some of my best friends in Kansas. When I return, I just feel a nice magical vibe. I actually love the winter snow and the greenery in summer. I even like the humidity, now that I live in NM!

But: Still, some Kansans are xenophobic, although the economy and society are open. (NM is not xenophobic, but its economy and society are closed and nepotistic.) Being a Jayhawk in Lawrence was fun for two years, but will actually settling down in Kansas be as fun??


4) Florida - Access to water and scuba diving! If I can take the FL bar and show commitment to moving there I can enter what is a protective legal market.

But: Florida is far-flung and it just seems too different culturally from where I've lived. Would a Korean fit in a Southern/Cuban/Puerto Rican/geriatric mix?


5) Phoenix - Kinda like Los Angeles but not so leftist, so I can understand the city well. Bigger and not as insular as Albuquerque. There seems to be a need for lawyers here, if I can take the AZ bar, I believe I can break in. People are beautiful and seem friendly! Rocky Point isn't that far away. Access to outdoors, and it seems endurance sports are pretty popular here.

But: Does Phoenix accept Asians? And man it's hot!


6) Are there any other hidden gems I should check out? How about Nashville, Austin, Indianapolis (Indiana seems very wholesome), or Milwaukee? North Carolina used to intrigue me but I get this weird feeling that I don't belong there. And if I choose Chicago, Dallas, or Atlanta, I might as well choose LA?

I'd appreciate any and all input! Thank you so much.
I think Minneapolis/St. Paul would also be a good fit. I think Asians make up a good 10-12% of St. Paul's population now and only slightly less in Minneapolis. The other things on your list would be there, too. I grew up there and still stay in touch with people I know and visit there on occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top