Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 06:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Find a mate online, like everybody else does. I think wherever you go, you are going to find something to be unhappy about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 01:54 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Yea, come to FL if you can find a job that you'd enjoy. What area of law are you in? It seems FL is dominated by trial lawyers practicing tort law. My friends in corporate law say FL is rather devoid of this industry. Besides Greenberg Traurig I don't think any top corporate law firms have much of a presence in the entire state. Let the job hunt guide you. I can't promise you anything but growing up in FL as an Asian-American I never had much of an issue not being treated as an equal in social settings.

Good luck!

Old 10-26-2013, 04:21 PM

271 posts, read 458,722 times
Houston. Surprised you didn't mention it, big Asian population, diverse, open to other races, big international food like you want, not uptight or intense like some other cities.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:32 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
I just thought I'd point out that Boston isn't nearly as fast paced or crowded as New York.

It might fit your other criteria too, but on the other hand I guess you would know if it isn't where you want to be (for whatever reason).

I don't think I know enough about other cities to tell you what place to look at.

Anyway, good luck on your search!

Old 10-26-2013, 06:09 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
Houston. Surprised you didn't mention it, big Asian population, diverse, open to other races, big international food like you want, not uptight or intense like some other cities.

LOLLOLOL, Houston is very uptight.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:10 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Ironically, Seattle and San Francisco are openly hostile to people who aren't overwhelmingly liberal in their political views. They love diversity of appearance, but loathe diversity of thought. To me, the two big Texas cities actually do both diversity of appearance and thought well.

Houston sounds like a good idea to me. There's a large enough Asian population that he won't be alone, but there's enough of everybody else that his options are greater.

Yet many threads on here want to compare Houston to LA and the OP said he did not want that,,lol....

Old 10-26-2013, 08:03 PM

271 posts, read 458,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
LOLLOLOL, Houston is very uptight.
Good for you

Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
There are very few Asians in Wichita.
Sedgwick County, KS has 25,131 Asians, according to the 2010 Census, including 10,412 Vietnamese, which are the largest Asian ethnic group in the county.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLobo View Post
Interesting. Lakes are fun! But what's great about Minneapolis? I've never been there. How's the legal job market? I hear that the Scandinavians up there can be a little xenophobic, though.

1) Minneapolis has access to outdoor activities and is a place where endurance sports are popular "Google" the Chain of Lakes Park. You can jog, bike, hike, ski, kayak, Mtb, all in the city of Minneapolis, and there are several places where this can be done in St Paul as well.

2) Has single women who are open to date Asian men I'm not an Asian man but I have not seen any shortage of this.

3) The society is not xenophobic, but is accepting of Asians The Twin Cities has the largest Hmong population in the US. Xenophobia is not a common trait in the Twin Cities.

4) Access to water is a plus, but not a dealbreaker Seriously this is the land of 10,000 lakes, there are 5 significant lakes in Minneapolis alone, and more than I can mention in this response in the metro. The cool thing is many of these lakes are accessible and geared for recreation (beach, kayaking/ paddle boarding, sailing, etc...).

5) I don't prefer a crowded city like New York or Boston. I'm not 21 anymore and I don't like constant stimulation. I like the peacefulness of a smaller city. Again the TC's not to big, but not too small our metro is right around 3.5 million.

6) Is not uptight, intense, and angry like DC (I've lived there), Baltimore (extended family there), or Philadelphia (ugh lol) I'm from back east originally (southeast, but my family is all along the east coast from GA to MA), and its not like that here at all. It's the Midwest and the vibe is different. I know many will disagree but even Chicago seems slow paced, and liveable in comparison to the major cities on the Atlantic Seaboard.

7) The presence of good international food is a plus, but not a dealbreaker We wont be able to deliver what San Fran, or LA can but we are not as big either. Given that I think this area can rival or best cities its size.

8) Good clothes shopping is a plus so I don't have to drive 6 hours to Denver! (Not a dealbreaker though!) Not my area of specialty but don't think it would be a problem. There are several Walmart located throughout the metro (I'm joking of course).

9) Has a thriving market for lawyers! (I need work to survive!) I am unsure about this, not that it doesn't exist just that I have no idea.

10) Seattle and San Francisco seem too leftist for me. They seem intolerant of Western religion, for example. (To summarize, I've recently fallen away from religion, but knowing me, I might return.) And I'd rather have Midwestern/East Coast four seasons more than the yearlong gray and cold of these two places. Again if you are not afraid of autumn and winter then this is a great place to spend both. Unlike many places when the weather gets cold we still remain active. As far as left vs right the area has a significant left lean. The metro has a registered Democrat to Republican split of about 56% Democrat, 42% Republican, and about 2% Independent. The core cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul split 65% to 35% Dem to Repub.

So if this sounds like you then welcome to the Twin Cities!
I think this was a well summed-up response. Minneapolis/St Paul does really tick all of your criteria and would highly encourage checking it out. As an aside I have a difficult time believing there is a significant pool of single Caucasian women in any Texas city that willingly date Asian men.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think this was a well summed-up response. Minneapolis/St Paul does really tick all of your criteria and would highly encourage checking it out. As an aside I have a difficult time believing there is a significant pool of single Caucasian women in any Texas city that willingly date Asian men.
You would be surprised...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.