U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 11:03 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,046,790 times

Advertisements

No idea what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 PM

12,701 posts, read 10,559,089 times
A lot of Italian-American New Jersey and New York families have a traditional Sunday dinner, but obviously an Italian one - meatballs, sausage, some type of pasta, bread, salad, etc. I don't think a roast dinner on Sundays is common, at least where I live, but I'd say Italian Sunday dinners definitely are (where I live). The idea that dinner on Sunday is a big deal, spent with family, is pretty common overall in the US, just not sure it's roast. I think what is eaten depends on the area and more specifically one's individual culture and heritage.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:25 AM

45,202 posts, read 36,416,452 times
I grew up in the South and my family is from Arkansas and Louisiana. It was our family tradition going back several generations on my dad's side to have a Sunday dinner consisting of roast beef, gravy, rice, several veggies, and rolls. We didn't have Yorkshire puddings though.

I should have continued that tradition, I guess, but I didn't. It's basically died out now in our family.

Our ethnic heritage from my dad is Scots Irish, English, and German basically.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:38 PM

56,419 posts, read 54,821,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
That bread thing is Yorkshire pudding. It's type a pastry when poured with gravy tastes really good.
Thanks. I've heard of Yorkshire pudding and have seen recipes for it, but the name slipped my mind. "Pudding" in the US is something different--a sweet dessert.

Lots of nice memories in those Sunday roast beef dinners.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:01 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,205,961 times
OMG, this describes every single Sunday Dinner for me when growing up in the Midwest. Church, then Sunday Dinner with roast beef, potatoes, beans or peas and a hard dinner roll and an iceberg lettuce salad. If we went out to eat at a restaurant for Sunday Dinner the restaurant essentially served the same meal. Then after Sunday Dinner we had to play quietly or read; no one watched TV until the evening. Leftovers for Sunday supper.

Very typical for all of my friends, too.

For the record, I'm mostly of French and German Protestant heritage and grew up in the 1960s/70s in the American Midwest.

God, how I HATED Sunday dinners! I swore when I grew up that I wouldn't inflict that on anyone else. And I didn't. Blech! I haven't had roast beef in 30 years or more. Bleaugh.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:21 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,169,528 times
When I was young my family had something like that. A huge meal and then we would play volleyball . No more though. A lot of the family moved away so not enough people for a feast anymore. Now we only do meals like that on holidays.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:59 PM

11,194 posts, read 22,426,252 times
Weekend dinners growing up were always very simple and sometimes just eat when you can type of thing. During the week we made dinners and all sat down, but I feel on weekends everyone was running around doing their own thing or relaxing, out playing.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:53 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,055,191 times
We didn't have that every weekend, definitely several times a year though. We still have Sunday dinners, but it isn't always a roast.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:19 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,676,344 times
Dads family is from the upper Midwest and consists of a bunch of Norwegians and Germans so roast beef on Sunday wasn't really common. Mom's family are all native Marylander's and pretty much 100% English so it was very common BUT not always on Sundays. If something prevented a get together on Sunday then roast beef was usually shifted to a weekday, almost always Thursday for some reason.

I lived in the South for many years and never ran across anybody that ate roast beef at home. Pot roast was popular down there but, that isn't the same thing.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:33 PM

45,202 posts, read 36,416,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Dads family is from the upper Midwest and consists of a bunch of Norwegians and Germans so roast beef on Sunday wasn't really common. Mom's family are all native Marylander's and pretty much 100% English so it was very common BUT not always on Sundays. If something prevented a get together on Sunday then roast beef was usually shifted to a weekday, almost always Thursday for some reason.

I lived in the South for many years and never ran across anybody that ate roast beef at home. Pot roast was popular down there but, that isn't the same thing.
Wow, really?

My family is from Louisiana and Arkansas. My relatives in Louisiana as well as Arkansas traditionally had a ROAST beef dinner (not a pot roast) nearly every Sunday. When we lived in Virginia and North Carolina, my mother continued that tradition.

I've known others in the south who had the same tradition as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.