U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 04:37 PM

128 posts, read 129,740 times

Advertisements

My grandmother calls my family a bunch of gypsies. We have moved from state to state to state to state to state and back to state then back to state again and again and again. I have a broad upbringing being that I have lived in many many places. I dont consider any home really my own. I have always felt like the new kid, old kid , new kid on the block. Most of my family is from New York city. Virtually all of my extended family lives in New York, with a few relatives in NC and CA that I have never seen. The other side is from NY but lives in MD, DC.

I was born in CT, moved young to GA, then to MD
My childhood decade was split between CT, GA, MD almost equally
Teen years decade was split between GA, SC, & NY unequally.
Adult years half decade (im 25 years old) again was SC, GA unequally

It seems GA was in all three decades of my life but re-occurrence is not how you evaluate this one is it?
There are still more factors to consider when deciding where or what is your hometown.
For example. Even though I might have lived in SC the longest, one must evaluate at what time of life was you living where you was living.

Are the childhood year cities the most important to define where a person is from?
Or is it the crucial teen years which decide a persons life.
Or is it the adult years which really mold a man into the man he becomes?
Or is it all about where you have lived the longest, adding up all the months and years to the tee?

So the real question is, how do you decide where you are really from? I always feel like this question is too vague to answer.

--A wise man once said, it aint bout where you from its all about where you at. I feel these words are even truer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 07:14 AM

32,155 posts, read 33,066,623 times
My father is an academic and my family lived in several different places as I was growing up. (I only lived in the city that I was born for 2 years and I went to 7 different schools within 12 years of schooling.)

At this point in my life, I tell people that I am from the city that I am living in which is also where I spent a good deal of my adult life.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:46 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,389,506 times
I think most people use the town where they graduated from high school, which is usually also used by most state universities to determine whether qualified for in-state tuition fees. Obviously, there is never a single rule that applies in all cases without any gray areas.

By the way, how come "gypsies" does not turn into *******? Like Ma****, the capital of Mozambique, and Shakespeare's "the ***** in the armor", or ****-n-Span cleaning products? Gypsy and even gyp are invalid words in editions of Scrabble approved for school use.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-28-2013 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or