U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:51 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,698,183 times

Advertisements

Based on consumption in "ethnic restaurants" I'd guess at:

Spaghetti and meatballs
General Tso chicken
Burritos & hard shell tacos

While the internet was a US DOD invention, it wouldn't be of much use to the public without the World Wide Web, not invented in the US. Being old enough to have used Compuserve for market research in 1990-91, it was painful.

Anyway, serious answer: I'd go with The Constitution and baseball as already noted above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 11:13 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,361,629 times
Birth Control comes to mind for some reason...

Old 10-30-2013, 01:00 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Buffalo, NY out of all places?? I would have never guessed haha.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vatikan View Post
Well, the types of glasses they used in ancient china are NOTHING like the sunglasses used today. I assume you're talking about the stone ones with the tiny slits over the eyes. I really wouldn't count them as sunglasses — I don't think they even used them to protect their eyes from the sun. Most people already know that there were a few lightbulb-like inventions before Edison, but none of them really worked. Edison's was the first that worked and could be mass produced. Of course people wiped with straw and other uncomfortable things in ancient times, but the mass produced and rolled toilet tissue that made wiping not terrible came from the U.S. There were a few transmissions prior to the one you're talking about. Though that might've been the first 'true' automatic transmission. I don't know a lot about the subject. The American dollar is the U.S. currency. Of course currency was around before the U.S. was even founded, but you shouldn't discount the American dollar as a U.S. invention.
Oh, I get it now. Every technological process went through many stages of refinement, and at some point along the way, an American made the refinement, and that is proof that the whole kit and kaboodle was "invented by an American".

Read something about history, instead of just swallowing he Pravda-esque pronouncement of American drum-beaters in grade school. Dutch currency was already trading in New York, called the "daler", and when the US started minting their own money, it had the same name and value equivalency to the Dutch daler, pronounced the same, but respelled in English. How does that make it an American invention, just because Americans started making more of something that already existed, and stamping the words United State of America on it?

Last edited by jtur88; 10-30-2013 at 08:33 AM..

Old 10-30-2013, 09:03 AM

40 posts, read 40,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Oh, I get it now. Every technological process went through many stages of refinement, and at some point along the way, an American made the refinement, and that is proof that the whole kit and kaboodle was "invented by an American".

Read something about history, instead of just swallowing he Pravda-esque pronouncement of American drum-beaters in grade school. Dutch currency was already trading in New York, called the "daler", and when the US started minting their own money, it had the same name and value equivalency to the Dutch daler, pronounced the same, but respelled in English. How does that make it an American invention, just because Americans started making more of something that already existed, and stamping the words United State of America on it?
The predecessor to the automatic transmission was invented in Boston, but you still count the one made in Canada as the first one — you kinda contradicted yourself there.

Anyways, I don't want to argue about this, but I'm just saying that the USD should count as an American invention like the way the Canadian dollar is a Canadian invention and Japanese yen is a Japanese invention. Sure, there were other forms of currency prior to any of those, but it's still their own currency.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:47 AM

485 posts, read 730,776 times
Technically this was not an invention, but discovering electricity was a pretty big deal. Well maybe not that big...

Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vatikan View Post

Anyways, I don't want to argue about this, but I'm just saying that the USD should count as an American invention like the way the Canadian dollar is a Canadian invention and Japanese yen is a Japanese invention. Sure, there were other forms of currency prior to any of those, but it's still their own currency.
So then Americans "invented" US postage stamps and US highways and US schools and US beef and maps of the US and US doorknobs and US hookers and etcetcetcetc, because Americans have such superior intellect that it took an American to think of it and make it work. And best of all, US beer. And Kraft American slices, proudly invented by an American, there was no cheese before that, except unsuccessful prototypes that never really caught on..

Last edited by jtur88; 10-30-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 09:52 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,600,385 times
My favourite American Inventor - ROFL

Thomas Midgley Jr

Thomas Midgley was an American chemist who invented both leaded petrol and CFCs. Though lauded during his time, he has come to be known as having “had more impact on the atmosphere than any other single organism in Earth history” and “the one human responsible for more deaths than any other in history” due to his inventions.

He eventually contracted Polio and lead poisoning and was left disabled in his bed. This caused him to create an elaborate system of pulleys and ropes in order to lift himself from bed. He died at the age of 55 after being strangled by one of his pulleys and is notable for the fact that both his inventions, leaded petrol and his pulley operated bed, contributed to his death.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:09 AM

11,881 posts, read 10,381,846 times
Cosmos had a pretty cool story about a man from Philadelphia that invented the "sun engine" in Egypt in 1913 that harvested energy from the Sun in order to irrigate the cotton fields there.

It is sad to think that we have always had the technology to stop depleting our fossil fuels but a few powerful men and their Corporations prevented our society to progress.

Frank Shuman: Finding The Future In Tacony, A Century Ago | Hidden City Philadelphia

Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Krispy Kreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.