U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 11:30 AM

49 posts, read 83,367 times

Advertisements

What's the weather and culture like compared to other cities? The biggest cities I've actually lived, not visited, are Dallas, San Antonio, Houston and Charlotte.

I'm currently on the East Coast and hate it. My ill-feelings are mainly due to the weather and close-mindedness of the people. I'm also not a fan of the huge influx of NYC types (dressy, fast paced, rude). What is the verdict for the Bay Area? Is it different? If so, how is it different?

We are looking to relocate and my salary would be near 140k annual.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 AM

485 posts, read 733,150 times
That's a marginal salary for two in the Bay Area. I couldn't it afford it out there so I don't mean that in a rude way. IMO the whole Bay Area is too overpriced will peak in the next 10 years. I'd check out Seattle if I was you guys. It's considerably cheaper but I'm not sure what kind of weather you're looking for. Maybe even Denver also unless you want to be near the coast

Old 10-28-2013, 05:46 PM

9,626 posts, read 5,971,076 times
Having lived in NYC, Palo Alto, and SF; the Bay Area and the Big Apple couldn't be more different, even though both places have plenty of transplants from the opposite sides. But maybe Manhattan isn't what you're referring to.

The biggest difference I noticed is that the East Coast is about establishing routines and claiming your territory - you go to the same bar, hang out with the same friends, and repeat. I used to think those characters in Cheers, Friends, and Seinfeld are ridiculous for never getting tired of the same thing over and over; then I lived there and people really live like that! Tradition and history are important there. I met many east coast residents with deep roots that go back generations. I'm talking in general of course.

The Bay Area is the opposite. Today you meet your friends at this place, tomorrow you meet another set of friends at another place. It's about trying something new and meeting new people. That doesn't mean there aren't cliqueness but it's overall less so than the eastern neighbors. The people you meet likely moved here from somewhere else within the last two decades. However, there is also a very deep startup/workaholic culture (at least in the Silicon Valley, less so in SF). People work hard and they work long hours and some of the favorite topic of conversation is how your work is changing the world and how much money you are expected to get out of it. There is also less things to do in the Silicon Valley. If you want a balance between the two, SF is a nice compromise but it's very expensive to live there.

$140k should be enough for a middle-class life style around San Jose.

Last edited by beb0p; 10-28-2013 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or