U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 05:40 PM

56,761 posts, read 81,102,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Interesting stuff, ckh. Thank you for the recommendations. I am pretty interested in Providence.
No problem, I add where I live, but the actual city is a little but under 150k. I thought about Lansing/East Lansing in MI, which combined would fit the criteria, but I don't know if that would be an issue. If you did consider each, I would look near the universities in both areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 PM

996 posts, read 1,392,279 times
Syracuse sounds interesting as well. The 150k comment was more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule. I just want an actual city with a city atmosphere that is more cosmopolitan and liberal than the place I am in.

Thanks for all your recommendations. So much to consider. Wish I had firmer footing, but if I get laid off in January, I need to get out of here. And I am not waiting for a job to come to me.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:47 PM

4,370 posts, read 5,154,148 times
Quote:
Those all sound pretty good. I've thought about the first three quite a bit. Haven't considered the last two at all, so I'll look into them. Thanks.

Well, I am an electrician by trade, so anywhere with good electrical prospects.
Are you a commercial or residential electrician? That makes a lot of difference. Because in that case, it would depend on if a city had a lot of construction projects being a commercial electrician. If you're more of a residential one, then areas with high home ownership would definitely be where you would want to go. NYC doesn't have a ton of construction, and I think much of their work is unionized. So you may have a harder time breaking in there. California has a lot of home ownership, but who knows how often these places have electrical problems. You're in a field where you can basically work anywhere, but the work may be fast or slow depending on where you go.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 PM

Industrial electrician, actually. No residential or commercial electrical experience at all. Although commercial and industrial are much closer in many respects, so probably wouldn't be much of a stretch for me to do it, especially since it is much easier. So I think areas with high concentrations of industries would be best.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Syracuse sounds interesting as well. The 150k comment was more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule. I just want an actual city with a city atmosphere that is more cosmopolitan and liberal than the place I am in.

Thanks for all your recommendations. So much to consider. Wish I had firmer footing, but if I get laid off in January, I need to get out of here. And I am not waiting for a job to come to me.
In that case, I think that both of those places would fit. There are some jobs in the area that may fit too.

If you came here, I think that you would like Downtown, Franklin Square or Westcott.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 PM

386 posts, read 550,744 times
So where you coming from in the first place?

Old 10-29-2013, 07:05 PM

Tri-Cities, Tennessee. Backwards little place with nothing to offer anyone and higher than expected cost of living for what it does offer.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In that case, I think that both of those places would fit. There are some jobs in the area that may fit too.

If you came here, I think that you would like Downtown, Franklin Square or Westcott.
Perhaps. The only problem I see is that it is very de-industrialized, which isn't a good thing for someone like me.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:14 PM

386 posts, read 550,744 times
Quote:
Tri-Cities, Tennessee. Backwards little place with nothing to offer anyone and higher than expected cost of living for what it does offer.
Don't blame you for wanting to move lol.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Perhaps. The only problem I see is that it is very de-industrialized, which isn't a good thing for someone like me.
There are still industries here, but not necessarily just within city limits. Here are some in the area that may work: Industrial Electrician - Fulton, NY 13069 - Indeed Mobile

Industrial Electrician - Auburn, NY - Indeed Mobile

Electrical Technician - Cazenovia, NY - Indeed Mobile

Panel Fabricator / Electrician - Liverpool, NY - Indeed Mobile

Electrician - Fulton, NY - Indeed Mobile

Road Electrician - Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

You may find something here too: Electrical jobs in Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-29-2013 at 07:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.