U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 11:46 AM

170 posts, read 202,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
By the way, I appreciate that American culture is strong and unique. So, I'm not arguing about that at all... just greater European influence to make things a little more colorful and elegant, I suppose.
Quote:
This is kind of what I was getting at, although it's a little different twist.

In America, we already implicitly admire European culture - in fashion and apparel, cuisine, colognes and perfumes, luxury cars, wine, art, architecture, literature, classical music and other things. Many of the "top" things are considered European. The British royals are the only foreign family we regularly pay any serious attention to (even more than most American families), etc.

And yet, Americans generally don't internalize any of these things, if you know what I mean. We know very well what class is, but we seem to be just as happy ignoring it in our personal lives most of the time.
Not really Europe in the stereotypical way it's presented, to me isn't "elegant" it's crowded, expensive, and pretentious. Life in Paris, London, or Amsterdam, isn't much different to life in NY or Chicago. LA probably similar except we basically live in our cars here, but besides that life is the same everywhere in the "West."

I don't have an implicit admiration for European brands simply because they are European. I like brands that I find match my taste and are known for quality. So sure I like Chanel, and Burberry, and LVMH's stall, but on the other hand Ralph Lauren, and Tommy Hilfiger are also brands I find valuable and praise worthy. But also, D&G, Armani, Topman, and Express are not really what I like so I personally don't like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 01:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
lol That's actually funny because when I was in Paris the McDonalds were packed with French people, we got lunch there once because well it's McDonalds and you know been there done that, but surprised at how busy they were. Also surprised by how much A&F, and Hollister logos and clothing I saw people wearing (not the older folks, people around my age and a little older,) besides the old buildings and foreign words it could have been any crowded American city.
Yep. Chains are everywhere. People sometimes have an image of Europe as some sorta historic muesum piece where little of the modern world intrudes and everyone is elegant and refine.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:29 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Personally, I don't think greenery in the center city is that important. I'd rather it be full of pedestrians, have the pedestrian-only shopping streets and squares many European cities have, lots going on, etc. Though I might prefer to live a bit further out where it's greener, for visiting I don't mind too much. Interesting architecture can make up for the lack of greenery, US commercial roads are often eyesores IMO with the strip malls, which are worse than the lack of trees. Give me this treeless commercial street:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Brook...2.66,,0,-10.51

over this treed one:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jeric...2,256.86,,0,-3

Considering how much of the latter we have, we have plenty of our own ugliness. I guess people don't mind the latter as much as I do. In a crowded city, a few trees aren't going to make a huge difference. I care more about trees and good natural places further outside. Which the US has lots of them, far far more than Europe, where nature has been drastically altered. Cities are a small area, losing nature there isn't a tremendous loss, but in much of Europe the natural landscape has been drastically changed. One of the biggest strengths of the US is its natural spaces and just wide open spaces in general. I'm rather appalled no one has brought it up and overlooked it.

Of course, some spots in Europe are relatively close to their natural condition, and not all of the US is, but on average the US is far better. Likewise not all European cities are concrete jungles, it depends where. I remember some photo thread with green European cities, I'd have to dig them up. And if the US city you're used to is NYC, you wouldn't find the lack of trees in the center that noteable:
The concrete, architecture, etc are all part of the artificial world. It's funny to me how some people (not you) go on and on about how the US has ruined the environment, then get all ga-ga over these European cities which are even worse examples with their channelized rivers, concrete riverbanks, concrete, concrete everywhere.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The concrete, architecture, etc are all part of the artificial world.
Of course they're part of the artificial world, where did I say they aren't? Cities are in general are artificial. I like having trees in cities, but a few trees aren't going to make a city natural. Nor do I consider having trees the most important thing to having a good city.

Quote:
It's funny to me how some people (not you) go on and on about how the US has ruined the environment, then get all ga-ga over these European cities which are even worse examples with their channelized rivers, concrete riverbanks, concrete, concrete everywhere.
Since I actually said Europe has ruined its environment more, not sure why this is your reply. But why would you judge how much the environment is changed just based off the cities? They make a small percentage of the land area. You should focus the drastic alterations of the countryside instead.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:21 PM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Of course they're part of the artificial world, where did I say they aren't? Cities are in general are artificial. I like having trees in cities, but a few trees aren't going to make a city natural. Nor do I consider having trees the most important thing to having a good city.

Since I actually said Europe has ruined its environment more, not sure why this is your reply. But why would you judge how much the environment is changed just based off the cities? They make a small percentage of the land area. You should focus the drastic alterations of the countryside instead.
My reply was in general. Perhaps I should have made that distinction. Also, Europe, at least western Europe, is pretty densely developed, with no vast tracts of open land.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:45 AM

38 posts, read 171,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Nah, I like it that most Americans bathe regularly and that the women shave their legs.
Literally pissing myself laughing at that statement....have you had a good look around recently?

To date I have never seen women walking around the supermarket in their PJ's in the UK (or any of the other European countries I have visited) quite like many towns and cities I have visited in the USA.

I'm glad you said "most" Americans bathe regularly but so do "most" Europeans. Therefore I find your very unfounded statement extremely offensive and really nasty.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:46 AM

33,907 posts, read 42,154,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCrystal View Post
Literally pissing myself laughing at that statement....have you had a good look around recently?

To date I have never seen women walking around the supermarket in their PJ's in the UK (or any of the other European countries I have visited) quite like many towns and cities I have visited in the USA.

I'm glad you said "most" Americans bathe regularly but so do "most" Europeans. Therefore I find your very unfounded statement extremely offensive and really nasty.

Ask me if I give a ****.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 11-27-2013 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: clean up quote

Old 11-27-2013, 11:50 AM

4,069 posts, read 3,100,731 times
No I do not want to see the United States be more like Europe. I know this thread was supposed to stay away from the political side of things but the European political policies and views are derivative of a society that is not strong and independent. Americans, at least the rural people, are strong, tough and fiercely independent. I do not want to see America become soft and weak like the Europeans.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
This is kind of what I was getting at, although it's a little different twist.

In America, we already implicitly admire European culture - in fashion and apparel, cuisine, colognes and perfumes, luxury cars, wine, art, architecture, literature, classical music and other things. Many of the "top" things are considered European. The British royals are the only foreign family we regularly pay any serious attention to (even more than most American families), etc.

And yet, Americans generally don't internalize any of these things, if you know what I mean. We know very well what class is, but we seem to be just as happy ignoring it in our personal lives most of the time.
Perhaps it is because most of those European cultural things are basically superficial and some of us Americans don't internalize superficiality.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
And just how are they offensive?! America needs to hear some tough love criticism because obviously passive-aggressive suggestion for the past 20 years to lose weight and stop looking sloppy has not been working! We need standards in this country! What part of that don't you people understand?!
I am not overweight but I am a jeans and T-shirt kind of guy and let me tell you something. I will not have some euro-trash wannabe tell me I need to be more "fashionable." I wear what is pragmatic and practical for the situation at hand. If I look sloppy then boohoo to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or