U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,313,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
This

And this

do not correlate.

So pretty much you've eliminated all of your options.
I'd argue it could.....take Cleveland for example. But it's certainly not common. Besides, it's a "Dream List".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:29 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
The Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro metro area in NC would be a perfect fit in my opinion. It's quite liberal, has excellent libraries (public and at both Duke/UNC), a couple of good Asian supermarkets, an excellent food scene, two Whole Foods and a great food coop...plus amazing farmers markets(check out the one in Carrboro), a fairly low unemployment rate (6.5%), bike-friendly/walkable and good FREE public transit in Chapel Hill/Carrboro (Durham's system is just okay), plenty of horse-boarding in close proximity, a milder four season climate (three months of each season) and the cultural opportunities of a much larger city thanks to Duke University and the University of North Carolina minutes away.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:16 AM

89 posts, read 149,259 times
Chicago is probably your best choice, it fulfills all your listed criteria except the ones below.

If you want good & authentic ethnic food you really do have to live in one of the large cities.

1. It's not Southern or East Coast
2. $1000 will probably not cut it for a 1 bedroom in the city center areas. But it's doable for a little bit more at say $1200 or $1100.

Pros:

Old 10-28-2013, 03:42 PM

13 posts, read 13,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'd argue it could.....take Cleveland for example. But it's certainly not common. Besides, it's a "Dream List".
Yes, thank you, exactly. This is just a dream list.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:43 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,091,961 times
Washington, DC, Baltimore, Annapolis, New York City, Philadelphia.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro metro area in NC would be a perfect fit in my opinion. It's quite liberal, has excellent libraries (public and at both Duke/UNC), a couple of good Asian supermarkets, an excellent food scene, two Whole Foods and a great food coop...plus amazing farmers markets(check out the one in Carrboro), a fairly low unemployment rate (6.5%), bike-friendly/walkable and good FREE public transit in Chapel Hill/Carrboro (Durham's system is just okay), plenty of horse-boarding in close proximity, a milder four season climate (three months of each season) and the cultural opportunities of a much larger city thanks to Duke University and the University of North Carolina minutes away.
Chapel Hill was some place that was vaguely on my list. But I'll spend more time checking it out now. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2013, 05:21 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,101,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralCorrington View Post
Hi there!

I'm a young woman, 25, and I'm currently living in Cleveland and I hate it. I've been planning for a while for a move, but I'm having a really hard time coming up with a place because I'm so jaded (I've moved 8 or 9 times now). So I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone had any ideas!

I have a small list of things that, if a city had them, would make it perfect but I understand that the perfect package probably doesn't exist. But I'd like to get as close to perfect as possible because the place I move I plan on being there for 3 years (while I save for a 1 year global backpacking trip).

Above everything else it needs to be relatively inexpensive. The benchmark being that I can get a 1 bedroom nearish the city center/center of culture with all utilities for $1000 or less.

I've bolded the parts of my list that are most important to me for consideration.

So here is my 'Dream List':

-Southern City or East Coast City
-Liberal-ish (NOT a hard-line Republican area)
-Large library system
-At least 1 Asian grocery story
-Ethnically diverse GOOD food (Pho, Sushi, Indian, Mediterranean, Pizza, American etc)
-Relatively low unemployment rate (9% or less)
-Either a bikeable city or one with good public transportation
-Whole Foods or other natural grocery store
-Has a zoo or aquarium
-Has nearby (30 min or less) rural areas for horse boarding
-150+ population
-Not a TON of snow
-Some sort of culture, be it food, fairs, history or art (sports are not a draw).

I've already lived in: Salem, Seattle, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Cleveland, Rochester and Louisville. So I'm not interested in any of those cities. I'm also not interested in anything in California, Florida, Nevada, Ohio or Washington.

Anywho, I hope someone here can help point me in the right direction because currently the only place on my list is New Orleans.

Thanks!

-AdmiralC
Austin

Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
I am going to suggest a suburb you might like that is like a small city but close to a large one. It has a lot of what you want but is close to a big city that has everything you want. Your problem will be snow in the winter though. The burb is Evanston, Il. Northwestern University is there so there are lots of cultural things to take advantage of. It has a library system and if that doesn't suffice, you are near enough to Chicago to use theirs. The Lincoln Park zoo is an El ride away and it's awesome. The aquarium a subway trip. You can bike all over Evanston.

Evanston has lots of food fairs etc. Lots of different food choices.

But you would have those winters to contend with and it isn't east coast or southern but I just thought I would throw it out there. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am going to suggest a suburb you might like that is like a small city but close to a large one. It has a lot of what you want but is close to a big city that has everything you want. Your problem will be snow in the winter though. The burb is Evanston, Il. Northwestern University is there so there are lots of cultural things to take advantage of. It has a library system and if that doesn't suffice, you are near enough to Chicago to use theirs. The Lincoln Park zoo is an El ride away and it's awesome. The aquarium a subway trip. You can bike all over Evanston.

Evanston has lots of food fairs etc. Lots of different food choices.

But you would have those winters to contend with and it isn't east coast or southern but I just thought I would throw it out there. Good luck in your search.
That actually sounds pretty awesome! I'm going to do some research on it, thanks for the tip!

PS: So the public transit in Evanston connects well with Chicago?

Old 10-28-2013, 10:12 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralCorrington View Post
That actually sounds pretty awesome! I'm going to do some research on it, thanks for the tip!

PS: So the public transit in Evanston connects well with Chicago?
Oh yes, depending up what part of Evanston you live, you can just cross the street into Chicago. The borderline is Howard St. But there is an Evanston bus line that will take you there to either a Chicago city bus or the Chicago subway station. It's been quite a few years since I took it but when I rode both the subway system and the El in Chicago, they both had connections to Evanston. I guess you would have to check into the transit system to see if they still do.

The farther east you go into Evanston, the closer to the lake and it's very pretty. They have nice beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or