Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:29 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I wonder if they're including East St. Louis on the Illinois side. Oh well, KC has been the biggest metro for the most part. Perhaps St. Louis population has caught up and surpassed it. In either case, KC was bigger than St. Louis at one point, but people still perceived St. Louis as being the premier city in Missouri. People know almost nothing about KC, and think it's a one horse town, while they look at St. Louis as an actual city that can contend with other midwestern big cities like Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, MLPS, and Cincinnati.
I don't know where you heard that Kansas City is Missouri's premier metro, because St. Louis has historically been and is still significantly larger and more economically important than Kansas City. Currently St. Louis is the 4th largest metro in the Midwest by population and GDP. Kansas City is definitely underrated and a lot larger than most realize, but Kansas City is smaller than St. Louis by nearly a million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityBrightLights View Post
My instinct told me Missouri but then I found that St Louis actually does have a larger metro population than Kansas City.

St Louis: 2,795,794
Kansas City: 2,343,008
These numbers also don't seem correct. The 2010 census has St. Louis at 2,812,896 and Kansas City at 2,035,334

Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I don't know where you heard that Kansas City is Missouri's premier metro, because St. Louis has historically been and is still significantly larger and more economically important than Kansas City. Currently St. Louis is the 4th largest metro in the Midwest by population and GDP. Kansas City is definitely underrated and a lot larger than most realize, but Kansas City is smaller than St. Louis by nearly a million people.
This is definitely not true. And I didn't call KC the premier city in Missouri. But there have been points where it has had a larger population than St. Louis. But in either case, it sounds like you're actually from St. Louis, and they generally give their city way too much credit in comparison to KC.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
This is definitely not true. And I didn't call KC the premier city in Missouri. But there have been points where it has had a larger population than St. Louis. But in either case, it sounds like you're actually from St. Louis, and they generally give their city way too much credit in comparison to KC.
The city of Kansas City has become larger than the city of St. Louis in recent years, but the city of Kansas City is about 300sq mi, while St. Louis is 60sq mi. Kansas City Metro has never in its history been larger than St. Louis Metro. I think Kansas City is a wonderful city and definitely overrated, but it has never been a larger metropolitan area economically or population wise. St. Louis has always been substantially and noticeably larger. You feeling I'm giving St. Louis too much credit over Kansas City is subjective, Kansas City being the second metro in the Missouri is totally fact based and has always been. Greater Kansas City has never been Missouri's premier metro politically, economically, or by sheer population. Also premier means to be 1st place or number one, the biggest, best etc. and you did allude that Kansas City was the premier city in the state that played second fiddle to St. Louis and that St. Louis was really smaller and less important than Kansas City and you had no idea why it was being compared to other larger Midwestern cities....right?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityBrightLights View Post
I didn't realize Greenville was larger than Columbia. SC is unique then in that the third largest city (Charleston) outshines the second (Columbia) which itself outshines the largest (Greenville).
Charleston has been the third largest MSA in SC for the longest time now. Before the revisions earlier this year, Columbia was the largest but Greenville's jumped ahead after absorbing an adjacent MSA (but has had the largest CSA for a good while now).

In terms of national reputation, Charleston is clearly #1. I consider Columbia and Greenville pretty much neck and neck.

I think Arkansas might be a good candidate here. Seems like NW Arkansas has been getting all the shine lately over Little Rock.

In NC, Charlotte was the first to get all the praise then Raleigh-Durham joined the party. In some ways, the latter outshines the former with its universities and tech economy, but the city of Charlotte gets more exposure overall so for the most part I'd say they are tied in this regard.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:59 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
I think Tennessee is a good example with Nashville clearly over Memphis (the largest city) in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:06 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,602,514 times
Grand Rapids, Michigan vs Detroit, Michigan, in the sense that Grand Rapids gets quite a bit of positive press, while Detroit gets mostly negative press.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
The city of Kansas City has become larger than the city of St. Louis in recent years, but the city of Kansas City is about 300sq mi, while St. Louis is 60sq mi. Kansas City Metro has never in its history been larger than St. Louis Metro. I think Kansas City is a wonderful city and definitely overrated, but it has never been a larger metropolitan area economically or population wise. St. Louis has always been substantially and noticeably larger. You feeling I'm giving St. Louis too much credit over Kansas City is subjective, Kansas City being the second metro in the Missouri is totally fact based and has always been. Greater Kansas City has never been Missouri's premier metro politically, economically, or by sheer population. Also premier means to be 1st place or number one, the biggest, best etc. and you did allude that Kansas City was the premier city in the state that played second fiddle to St. Louis and that St. Louis was really smaller and less important than Kansas City and you had no idea why it was being compared to other larger Midwestern cities....right?
Good points. I have never lived in either, but lived most of my life until recently up north in Nebraska. It has always been a known fact that the St. Louis metro area is quite a bit bigger than the Kansas City metro area (nearly 1 million people different just as you noted). Not sure why anyone would try to discount that, census facts are truly the facts. That's not to say anything bad about KC, and people can have their opinions on which is "better", but there is no discounting that St. Louis metro is bigger.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Give me Tucson over Phoenix any day.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:56 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Texas:
Houston > DFW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.