U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:57 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOak5115 View Post
Don't be fooled as Austin has sprawl, traffic, crime and lots of homeless people. True it is a quirky state political software/tech intellectual hub with a massive university, but it can barely touch Houston and Dallas on arts, sporting teams, logistics, and GDP.
Agreed. No way on earth Austin outshines Houston or Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 03:13 PM

3,515 posts, read 4,967,573 times
Santa Fe, I think, is smaller than Albuquerque which also has the state's airport.

However, Santa Fe is very special and colorful, is the state capital, a major tourist mecca, a major arts and crafts center, very fashionable, and has a famous Opera company - unusual for a town of that size.

Albuquerque, except for its hot-air balloon festival, seems rather blah and non-descript, and has a high crime-rate, but a lower cost of living.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:57 PM

3,035 posts, read 2,466,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Grand Rapids, Michigan vs Detroit, Michigan, in the sense that Grand Rapids gets quite a bit of positive press, while Detroit gets mostly negative press.
Yeah, I think that Grand Rapids (and well, basically anywhere outside of Flint and Saginaw) have better press than Detroit. But Grand Rapids clearly does not outshine Detroit.

On the other hand, despite being about the same size and the latter having a slightly larger metro area, Ann Arbor definitely outshines Lansing.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:58 PM

3,844 posts, read 8,036,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityBrightLights View Post
Sometimes the mentality with metro areas is bigger is better but I don't think that is always the case. What are some states you can think of where the second largest metro outshines or is more desirable than the largest? Here are ones I can think of.

California: San Francisco > Los Angeles
Oklahoma: Tulsa > Oklahoma City
Ohio: Columbus > Cleveland
South Carolina: Charleston > Columbia
Texas: Austin > San Antonio (Not 1st and 2nd but a case of a smaller metro within a state overshadowing a larger one)
I bet Cincinnati would argue that it exists.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,384,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
The St. Paul metro outshines the Minneapolis metro.
Umm They are the same metro.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:47 PM

460 posts, read 721,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityBrightLights View Post
Sometimes the mentality with metro areas is bigger is better but I don't think that is always the case. What are some states you can think of where the second largest metro outshines or is more desirable than the largest? Here are ones I can think of.

California: San Francisco > Los Angeles
Oklahoma: Tulsa > Oklahoma City
Ohio: Columbus > Cleveland
South Carolina: Charleston > Columbia
Texas: Austin > San Antonio (Not 1st and 2nd but a case of a smaller metro within a state overshadowing a larger one)
I don't see this. Maybe in the minds of C-D users, it is true; the Bay Area does have a lot going for it. But in reality, Greater LA is just a beast. It still shines brighter.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:16 PM

32,376 posts, read 55,207,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
I don't see this. Maybe in the minds of C-D users, it is true; the Bay Area does have a lot going for it. But in reality, Greater LA is just a beast. It still shines brighter.
I do agree with this. The Bay Area has it's strengths but LA is still the biggest and most well known.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,340,136 times
In Maryland, unfortunately the DC suburbs are more influential than the Baltimore metro area. The thing is if you include the Virginia portions and the District itself, the DC area is larger than the Baltimore area, but if you just look at the Maryland portion of the DC area, then Baltimore is the largest metro area in Maryland.

Its the same in West Virginia because the Huntington area is officially larger than the Charleston area, but that's if you include the Ohio and Kentucky portions of the Huntington-Ashland-Ironton region.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:29 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,340,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
How the hell does Austin outshine Houston or Dallas?

KC is the most populated metro in Missouri but it plays second fiddle to St. Louis. As a matter of fact many people think St. Louis is much bigger. It does have a bigger urban core, but KC metro is bigger overall.
This is curious too. Isn't the Kansas City metro area only larger if you include the Kansas portions of it? Then St. Louis also has the Illinois suburbs. When people compare the Kansas City area vs the St. Louis area do they only look at the Missouri portions? Or is it the entire metro areas as a whole?

Old 11-05-2013, 12:58 PM

2,703 posts, read 4,675,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This is curious too. Isn't the Kansas City metro area only larger if you include the Kansas portions of it? Then St. Louis also has the Illinois suburbs. When people compare the Kansas City area vs the St. Louis area do they only look at the Missouri portions? Or is it the entire metro areas as a whole?
It is the metro as a whole. In kc they consider the Kansas side just as st Louis people consider the Illinois side.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or