U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 01:11 PM

21,416 posts, read 21,974,288 times

Advertisements

In New York, I'd say Rochester outshines Buffalo and think it's slightly smaller in population. Can't think of any other cities bigger than Buffalo in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 03:01 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,190,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Here's several I could think of:

Colorado - Technically Boulder is a separate metro from Denver and I would say it "outshines" Denver.
Boulder hardly outshines Denver.

For starters Denver has all of the sports teams, businesses, is the political center, and it is the main entry point into the state.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 PM

52 posts, read 121,979 times
Not really sure if I'd say "outshines", but Pittsburgh is definitely a nicer place to live than Philly.

Just sayin'

Old 11-05-2013, 07:01 PM

4,476 posts, read 7,310,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
The St. Paul metro outshines the Minneapolis metro.
I'll agree with one of the posters who first replied to this. It's the same friggin' metro. If the cities were separated, hands down it would go to Minneapolis though. It's the bigger city of the two. Also the first to have LRT, though the second LRT line will soon connect both cities in the coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
In New York, I'd say Rochester outshines Buffalo and think it's slightly smaller in population. Can't think of any other cities bigger than Buffalo in New York.
Though Rochester is doing better economically than Buffalo right now, I'd still give it to Buffalo. Definitely the 2nd city of the State of New York.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Here's several I could think of:

Colorado - Technically Boulder is a separate metro from Denver and I would say it "outshines" Denver.
Florida - If you want to talk city proper, then Jacksonville is the largest city and I don't think any would say it "outshines" the other cities in Florida
Alabama - Birmingham is the largest metro, but Huntsville definitely "outshines" it
North Carolina - Charlotte is the largest metro and I would say Raleigh "outshines" it
The only one I could agree with you on here is Florida. Officially Jacksonville is the largest (particularly in land area) due to consolidation, but Miami (and let's be honest, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm, Orlando and Tampa) outshines it.

No idea how you could even fathom Boulder outshining the powerhouse of Colorado, Denver.

Birmingham also outshines Huntsville by a good bit. It should. It's the largest city in the state.

North Carolina could be a toss up depending on how you look at it. Both Charlotte and Raleigh are doing well economically. Raleigh is the faster grower, but Charlotte has the larger population with the major sports teams.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 PM

930 posts, read 1,287,867 times
I'd say Houston outshines DFW.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
I'd say Houston outshines DFW.
By a very small margin, if any. That's almost a too close to call one.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:09 AM

29,979 posts, read 27,507,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Birmingham also outshines Huntsville by a good bit. It should. It's the largest city in the state.
Well the whole point of the exercise is to name smaller cities outshining the larger cities, LOL.

I think there's an argument to be made that Huntsville outshines Birmingham in some ways, particularly when it comes to population growth and the economy. Due to federal investment (NASA/Redstone) and Cummings Research Park, Huntsville has one of the most robust tech sectors for its size in the country and has the fastest population growth of the four largest Alabama metros. And it doesn't help that Birmingham proper is on the verge of being overtaken by Montgomery to become the state's second-largest municipality. However, Birmingham has turned something of a corner recently with lots of downtown investment which may be helping to change perceptions.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:24 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,056,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
How the hell does Austin outshine Houston or Dallas?

KC is the most populated metro in Missouri but it plays second fiddle to St. Louis. As a matter of fact many people think St. Louis is much bigger. It does have a bigger urban core, but KC metro is bigger overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I wonder if they're including East St. Louis on the Illinois side. Oh well, KC has been the biggest metro for the most part. Perhaps St. Louis population has caught up and surpassed it. In either case, KC was bigger than St. Louis at one point, but people still perceived St. Louis as being the premier city in Missouri. People know almost nothing about KC, and think it's a one horse town, while they look at St. Louis as an actual city that can contend with other midwestern big cities like Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, MLPS, and Cincinnati.
Not sure why you are so passionate yet so uninformed on this subject, but you seem to be having a bit of trouble with facts which you seem to just ignore when pointed out to you claiming the people are homers. Btw, the St. Louis metro is larger than the Cleveland and Cincy metros, so yeah, people do compare them/think about them that way (most would include KC too)... You really don't want to go into history if you're trying to say KC outshines St. Louis...

Old 11-09-2013, 07:52 AM

363 posts, read 620,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I dunno, historically I would have agreed with this, but not over the past 25 years or so. Des Moines woke up and started growing very fast (for Iowa) around the mid 1990's and hasn't stopped. It's currently growing around 10,000 per year, far more than anywhere else in the state. It's by far the largest metro in the state and it's pulling away more and more every year. My parents live in Iowa City which is the other fast growing metro in the state, but they'll do the 90 minute drive to Des Moines all the time for broadway shows and other events. It's clearly the center of the state's power, population center, etc. I mean I like Iowa City more, but Des Moines use to just be a fairly small population center that was going nowhere, and now it's much more of a beast in Iowa than ever before.

Metro grew from around 400,000 in 1990 to 500,000 in 2000 to almost 600,000 today. Meanwhile the state has been fairly flat.
I'd agree with this. While Iowa has a lot of peripheral metros (omaha, sioux city, quad cities, as well as competing with Chicago, MSP, and Madison and Milwaukee), Des Moines looks to be doing pretty well. While it's smaller, to me it seems about as large and Omaha, and it is the center of Iowa economically and politically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or