Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:11 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Not by any means.
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill form Research Triangle. An area with far more prestigious universities and more research centers than Charlotte could ever hope to match. Charlotte is known for its banking, after Boston it's the second largest Financial Headquarters in the country. Raleigh-Durham CSA is almost the same size as Charlotte CSA. Raleigh may not outshine it, but they are on an almost equal level I would say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 12:19 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I'll agree with one of the posters who first replied to this. It's the same friggin' metro. If the cities were separated, hands down it would go to Minneapolis though. It's the bigger city of the two. Also the first to have LRT, though the second LRT line will soon connect both cities in the coming months..
I know they are the same metro, I live in it. It was a joke. As a St. Paulite, I like to give Minneapolis a hard time. They try hard over there.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:05 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Kansas City, Missouri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Might have something to do with some of the city lands being water. I don't know, I didn't do the calculations. Make an entry on Wikipedia to correct it.
Hmmm...right below that, it says Kansas City has 464,000 people.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:13 PM

66 posts, read 129,587 times
Boulder is a boutique city, much like Asheville NC and Santa Fe NM are. Boulder however enjoys being within spitting distance of metropolitan Denver. I wouldn't say it outshines Denver at all, but I can see why some people would prefer it.

As for North Carolina, Raleigh or the Research Triangle as a whole does not outshine Charlotte. The Triangle does have its advantages, but when you get down to it, it is simply a collection of small cities grown together and NONE of the individual cities that make up the Triangle can come anywhere close to offering what Charlotte does on its own.

As for Alabama, there is no way Huntsville outshines Birmingham. While Birmingham itself leaves so much to be desired, it pretty much pulls all the weight in the state. I would say Mobile is Alabama's second metro before Huntsville.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Well Baltimore is officially the largest metro area in Maryland, but the DC suburbs are a lot more prosperous and powerful politically within the state.

The Washignton DC area as a whole is more populous than the Baltimore area, but part of it lies in Virginia and DC is not in Maryland. Likewise, the Huntington area is officially the largest in West Virginia but parts of it are in Kentucky and Ohio, and I think Charleston is better.

Columbus and Cincinnati are both better than Cleveland in Ohio.

Every area in Florida is better than Miami.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I wonder if they're including East St. Louis on the Illinois side. Oh well, KC has been the biggest metro for the most part. Perhaps St. Louis population has caught up and surpassed it. In either case, KC was bigger than St. Louis at one point, but people still perceived St. Louis as being the premier city in Missouri. People know almost nothing about KC, and think it's a one horse town, while they look at St. Louis as an actual city that can contend with other midwestern big cities like Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, MLPS, and Cincinnati.
Yes I wonder about the St Louis vs Kansas City metro ranks and which is "the largest metro area in Missouri" since both areas span states. Yes I also wonder if East St. Louis, Illinois is included, and also if Overland Park, Kansas is included, or Kansas City, Kansas.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:45 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
To clear up some of the questions re: St. Louis MSA vs. Kansas City MSA...

St. Louis, MO-IL MSA - 2,817,626
Missouri portion - 2,116,836 (75.1%)
Illinois portion - 700,790 (24.9%)

Kansas City, MO-KS MSA - 2,038,724
Missouri portion - 1,199,890 (58.9%)
Kansas portion - 838,834 (41.1%)

Let's put it this way: the Missouri side of the St. Louis metro is more populated than the entirety of the Kansas City metro.

Old 12-18-2021, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 4,044 times
These days it's definitely Kansas City and Columbus, Ohio.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityBrightLights View Post
Sometimes the mentality with metro areas is bigger is better but I don't think that is always the case. What are some states you can think of where the second largest metro outshines or is more desirable than the largest? Here are ones I can think of.

California: San Francisco > Los Angeles
Oklahoma: Tulsa > Oklahoma City
Ohio: Columbus > Cleveland
South Carolina: Charleston > Columbia
Texas: Austin > San Antonio (Not 1st and 2nd but a case of a smaller metro within a state overshadowing a larger one)
It might be a little close, but don't see how Tulsa outshines Oklahoma City. OKC has been growing considerably faster, has Thunder for pro sports, OU for college sports and the state capitol for starters. If one wants somewhat hillier and greener landscape, then Tulsa outshines in that way.

Old 12-19-2021, 01:00 AM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Not that it's really a state where people think of its cities first and foremost, but for Montana, Missoula (MSA 120k) and Bozeman (119k) have somewhat "cool" reputations --- blue islands in a red state, national/state park access, decent walkability and public transit since they're college towns. Missoula is even becoming slightly hipsterified, with prominent biking infrastructure and a few "weird" restaurants. Billings (MSA 180k) doesn't have this kind of reputation at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.