U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:28 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,137,928 times

Advertisements

Louisiana would get my vote. One of, if not THE most culturally unique states in the country. I also believe it is the only state that is physically growing via the silt deposits from the Mississippi (unless that's an old wives' tale).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 02:42 PM

15,462 posts, read 25,409,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Louisiana would get my vote. One of, if not THE most culturally unique states in the country. I also believe it is the only state that is physically growing via the silt deposits from the Mississippi (unless that's an old wives' tale).
Doesn't it lose a lot of land to coastal erosion every year though too?

Hawaii also keeps growing from lava flowing into the ocean, cooling, and creating new land on the Big Island. 500 acres have been added in the past 30 years or so.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:49 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,970,765 times
Outside of the obvious Hawaii and Alaska, I think Oregon is pretty exotic. West of the Cascades you have beautiful, dense, and lush forest and a very rocky and beautiful coastline. East of the Cascades you have a moon like desert landscape. In terms of regions i.e. multiple states, the Upper Midwest around Lake Superior and the Driftless Area are exotic to me.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:27 PM

2,321 posts, read 3,003,036 times
Hawaii! How can any state in the lower 48 be exotic? The Florida Keys? Perhaps, but a lot of the rest of the state of FL is not much different then it's neighboring states. Practically every east coast state has part of the Appalachians so basically every east coast state has some similarity to West Virginia. Western states such as New Mexico? Arizona? Montana? California? Sure, they may seem a bit "exotic" to me living here in MD but I'm sure they have their similarities with neighboring states as well.

Now Hawaii requires a plane to get you there (or a boat) and it is in the tropics, below any of the other states. Volcanoes, rain forests and other things you would expect only in some far away exotic place. Of the places I have visited, the only place I could place it with would be Costa Rica which is truly an exotic destination.

If you specifically want to omit Hawaii because of it's obvious exoticness compared to the rest of the US then Alaska would be the only other choice as exotic doesn't only need to include the tropics.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:35 PM

696 posts, read 880,852 times
New Mexico, Hawaii, South Florida.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:42 PM

1,400 posts, read 2,284,447 times
Hawaii

Old 05-22-2015, 09:31 PM

5,537 posts, read 3,690,388 times
Washington.

Pristine Pacific Ocean beaches without a lot of development.

An inland sea, Puget Sound, that has two major ports, Seattle and Tacoma, and several other ports that do a lot of commerce.

A rain forest in Olympic National Park, on the Western peninsula of the State.

The San Juan Islands, not far from Olympic National Park, perhaps the most beautiful islands in the lower 48.

The Cascade Range, home of the Northwest's highest peak, Mt. Rainier, also a National Park. And several other volcanos, like Mt. Baker, Mt. Adams, and of course Mt. St. Helens.

The Grand Coulee Damn, USA's largest producer of power, and debatably the largest dam in the country.

Palouse Falls, a hidden treasure of a waterfall deep into rural WA State.

The Columbia Gorge, shared with Oregon, one of the most scenic gorges in the U.S.

Two extremely different climates, the wet mild west, and then over the Cascade range, the dry arid east.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:34 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
I would vote for Hawaii not only for the beauty but the culture. It has a history like no other state. It once had a king and queen and was very different from anything on the mainland in that sense. It still has exotic plants, volcanoes, beautiful beaches and scenery.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:48 AM

1,888 posts, read 7,147,440 times
New York and Florida must rank among these.

For one, New York State is hugely diverse. I lived in NYC much of my life and I knew very little about the rest of the state (and really didn't care to). It wasn't until I was much older that I begin visiting, what we referred to, as 'upstate ny'. It's like night and day. And then you have Florida. The common thought is that 'no one is from here'. Which couldn't be further from the truth. Certain parts of Florida (namely south Florida) sometimes is viewed as a dumping ground for transplanted northerners lol. I love it here but I see how that could be the case. But if you travel to the keys or particularly in Northern Florida- much of those people are actually from those areas. It's like a totally different culture. It's not exactly commercialized like Central and South Florida- you can actually find real history up there.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:58 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,123,295 times
If we're talking sheer uniqueness, that would definitely be Hawaii. I don't see how people could choose any other state. Hawaii is an island with its very own unique culture and the only state with its own language besides English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or