Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 AM

12 posts, read 24,192 times

Advertisements

Hi

I need an unbiased view.
If you could live in Boulder or Dallas, where would you choose to live?

I'm on a teacher salary, so not rich.
Is Boulder much more expensive? How much are 2-3 bedroom in a nice area?

Dallas seems cheaper regarding daily costs, but it gets the extreme heat vs Boulder with the cold winters. Are the houses in Boulder build like in Dallas? Or are they actually brick building with central heating(water central heating)?

Anyway, give me your thoughts!

Very thankful for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 05:42 AM

654 posts, read 1,905,995 times
I love Boulder but it is rather pricey. Dallas will give you much more bang for your buck. I don't know about building standards are like since my friends in both live in apartments.

As far as the weather, the summers in Dallas will be brutal. I don't know where you live now but they can be very difficult to take even for those who love summer heat. Winters in Colorado along the Front Range are often over dramatized. Yes it does snow but the snow melts in a few days. Winters are quite sunny and pleasant for the most part.

If money were no object, I would easily pick Boulder. On a teacher's salary looking for a two or three bedroom place, I'd go with Dallas.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:59 AM

24,241 posts, read 10,546,480 times
Why does everyone here always say that the heat in DFW is brutal? How much time does a teacher spend outdoors during the day?

DFW - no state income tax, very short but sometimes very cold winters, coast/mountains/prairie within a few hours drive, very diverse population, Spanish very helpful, very high real estate taxes, toll roads, limited public transportation.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:17 AM

654 posts, read 1,905,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Why does everyone here always say that the heat in DFW is brutal? How much time does a teacher spend outdoors during the day?

DFW - no state income tax, very short but sometimes very cold winters, coast/mountains/prairie within a few hours drive, very diverse population, Spanish very helpful, very high real estate taxes, toll roads, limited public transportation.
I say it because I believe it is. I live in Austin and the summers here are not much different than Dallas. I play sports and exercise outside during the evening hours. I have thrown up from doing so in the summer more times than I can count over the past 17 years in Texas. Seems brutal to me.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:40 AM

27,007 posts, read 43,601,931 times
I would choose Boulder without hesitation. It's a beautiful city/area with a great outdoor lifestyle that wouldn't be an option in Dallas unless you're very heat tolerant. Boulder proper can be quite expensive but nearby towns like Louisville and Lafayette are rather affordable, and about 10 miles from downtown Boulder which is 30 minutes or less commute time. Nicer two bedrooms apartments go around $1200 a month in those areas which isn't too dissimilar to the cost in Dallas. Apartment complex styles are fairly similar in Colorado as to what you see in Texas.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:54 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,665,542 times
It depends on what you prefer.

If you are a very outdoorsy person and like to hike, bike, and the sort, go with Boulder.

If you prefer the big city amenities, go with Dallas.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:18 AM

27,007 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would choose Boulder without hesitation. It's a beautiful city/area with a great outdoor lifestyle that wouldn't be an option in Dallas unless you're very heat tolerant. Boulder proper can be quite expensive but nearby towns like Louisville and Lafayette are rather affordable, and about 10 miles from downtown Boulder which is 30 minutes or less commute time. Nicer two bedrooms apartments go around $1200 a month in those areas which isn't too dissimilar to the cost in Dallas. Apartment complex styles are fairly similar in Colorado as to what you see in Texas.
Also in terms of big city amenities it's just 30 minutes from Denver, which is how long a cross town drive in Dallas could take.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 AM

484 posts, read 880,643 times
For me it would be Boulder without a doubt. Sure it is more costly and you will spend a larger percentage of your income rather than saving, but it would be worth it. You can't put a price on experience and Boulder gives you the beautiful Rockies to explore on the weekends and during your summer break. Boulder is not far from Denver, which has everything you could need in a big city (pretty much).

Old 10-30-2013, 09:52 AM

24,241 posts, read 10,546,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
I say it because I believe it is. I live in Austin and the summers here are not much different than Dallas. I play sports and exercise outside during the evening hours. I have thrown up from doing so in the summer more times than I can count over the past 17 years in Texas. Seems brutal to me.
After Alabama Texas seems to be pleasant.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:06 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,690,864 times
Dallas has a far better cost of living and taxes are lower, you would probably be able to afford a much better home there than in Boulder. But it really comes down to what would make you the most happy, if you don't like hot weather in the summer than Texas probably isn't for you. I personally would live in Dallas over Boulder anyday.

However only YOU can make this decision, what's best for me is not what is best for someone else. Hope whatever you pick works out best for you!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.