U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:21 AM

718 posts, read 2,440,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
No city is on the list. This thread is so point less yes California has the richest of the rich people. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Who the f*%@ cares? The people that will never be billionaires. California wins everyone YAAAAAAAAA. There are you people happy. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA California. LAMe.
anyone ever see that anti george bush bumper sticker. You know the one that goes: "somewhere in texas a village is missing an idiot"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 07:16 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,568,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Saint, you stepped in it!
You stepped in it, Milky. SaintLaurent makes more educated posts than you do, as she's a New Yorker, which is a more educated city than LA, according to recent statistics. So move, little people. Fetch me some wata!

Milky, every time a New Yorker makes a post, you always have to jump in and dog us. But, hey, that's what we get when our city is on top of the world, kind of like a World Capital, one with the most billionaires. We all know how desperate you are to have the #1 spot that New York holds around the world, but you'll never have it. Go, little man, get out of my way, and take your itty bitty city with you.

Last edited by Futcha; 11-21-2007 at 08:22 AM..

Old 11-21-2007, 07:43 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,880,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
I guess this is interesting, but unless you happen to be a billionaire or benefit from one, I don't know why it matters. Much more interesting in seeing how well the "Common Joe" is doing in an area than the top .0001%, in any part of the world. Much more tangible for people like us on a message board to relate to.

Unless, one of you happen to be a secret billionaire City-Data poster.
No one has really addressed this very good point. Why does this matter to the average person? I think in some ways this highlights that California is increasingly becoming a place for the super wealthy and very poor that serve them. The middle class is essentially being forced out. Every other state forum has middle to upper-middle Californians asking locals what their area has to offer. They want out of California so they can stop struggling to get by even though they make over $100k/year. I mean, it is a beautiful state with a lot to offer, but what does the number of billionaires do for the other 99.9999% of the people?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:18 AM

31,578 posts, read 53,114,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
care to show some raw numbers
There is actual data refuting the notion that there are droves of businesses leaving. Its basically a myth concocted by those with sour grapes.

Quote:
The Public Policy Institute took a hard look at the data and concluded that all this talk of companies leaving to find cheaper states to do business in actuality was widely overblown.

The study looks at the years of 1992 through 2004 and shows that California has not had a mass exodus of businesses. Most of the business relocations have occurred within California, usually to an adjacent county where land prices are cheaper.

There is the usual ebb and flow of businesses in and out of California but are replaced by new businesses that move into California or start here.

In the words of the study:

"[T]he small number of California jobs moving to other states due to business relocation is relatively inconsequential—about 11,000 jobs per year out of more than 18 million (.06 percent). Business births, deaths, contractions, and expansions have a much greater effect on employment."

Claim of California Jobs Moving Out of State Shown by Study to be a Myth - California Progress Report (http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/2007/11/claim_of_califo.html - broken link)

Old 11-21-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
No one has really addressed this very good point. Why does this matter to the average person? I think in some ways this highlights that California is increasingly becoming a place for the super wealthy and very poor that serve them. The middle class is essentially being forced out. Every other state forum has middle to upper-middle Californians asking locals what their area has to offer. They want out of California so they can stop struggling to get by even though they make over $100k/year. I mean, it is a beautiful state with a lot to offer, but what does the number of billionaires do for the other 99.9999% of the people?
Well, the same can be asked of Forbes Magazine in New York, the media outlet that actually goes to painstaking lengths to research, print and distribute this information all over the world-information that makes headlines all over the world year in year out. Why dont you ask them of what relevence this is to the everyman?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, the same can be asked of Forbes Magazine in New York, the media outlet that actually goes to painstaking lengths to research, print and distribute this information all over the world-information that makes headlines all over the world year in year out. Why dont you ask them of what relevence this is to the everyman?
So Forbes cares enough to write about it, therefore it matters??? Lots of garbage is printed everyday, that doesn't mean that it is important. Does it make you feel good about yourself that you live in a state with a lot of billionaires? Is that why it matters, so you can thump your chest and say, "look at all the REALLY rich people that live near me!, WooHooo!!!!"

Old 11-21-2007, 08:45 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Yeah, yeah, we get it: California and NY are the centers of the universe. The most wonderful, perfect places to live with the best people and best lifestyles. They are the most beloved, cherished places on earth. There. Can we move on now?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
So Forbes cares enough to write about it, therefore it matters??
Yes, everything we read for the entire span of our lives has to be serious and poignant to the human struggle. Is that it?

Quote:
Does it make you feel good about yourself that you live in a state with a lot of billionaires? Is that why it matters, so you can thump your chest and say, "look at all the REALLY rich people that live near me!, WooHooo!!!!"
Huh? If we have to suffer through the opining of people questioning such things as why others hate their region and others wondering which places are most greatly influenced by the mafia(for heavenssake-are you kidding me?), without nary a question as to its importance and validity, then you can certainly stomach this.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, everything we read for the entire span of our lives has to be serious and poignant to the human struggle. Is that it?
No, I was just looking to have some discussion as to why this is a good/bad thing for the state of CA and the country. But apparently that isn't going to happen, so just go back to feeling good about living within X miles of Y number of billionaires.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 AM

50 posts, read 42,381 times
Well, I live in Los Angeles and let me tell you....the wealthy people are leaving. ....Leaving for Orange County. Its not becoming a "town for the super-wealthy", it is becomming an extension of Mexico. It's getting poorer and poorer by the minute.

San Fransicco is more much white collar than Los Angeles. Same with Orange County.

Its great you have pride for our state, but its not "kumbaya, kumbaya, we are the wealthiest state in the nation, kumbaya."

The general population of San Fransico hates Los Angeles and grimace whenever hearing the name Los Angeles, and Orange County residents see Los Angeles as an overgrown run-down ghetto. Its a very divided state

I'm just being honest here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or