Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:59 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,131,267 times

Advertisements

Well, my business depends on wealthy people "going out of business" so I'm glad I'm in Southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
A better question would be,
What is it about such a relatively new and remote location far removed from most of the world that has allowed it to create a tenth of the world's billionaires?
California creates billionaires because California doesn't have many limitations.

Religion, sexual, whatever -- California lets U be U.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640 View Post
Well, I live in Los Angeles and let me tell you....the wealthy people are leaving. ....Leaving for Orange County. Its not becoming a "town for the super-wealthy", it is becomming an extension of Mexico. It's getting poorer and poorer by the minute.

San Fransicco is more much white collar than Los Angeles. Same with Orange County.

Its great you have pride for our state, but its not "kumbaya, kumbaya, we are the wealthiest state in the nation, kumbaya."

The general population of San Fransico hates Los Angeles and grimace whenever hearing the name Los Angeles, and Orange County residents see Los Angeles as an overgrown run-down ghetto. Its a very divided state

I'm just being honest here.
Yeah. And all those SF residents are going to be really happy with the OC when they discover the Concealed Weapon permits are passed out like candy in the OC.

Yeah. I can see them all being happy about that.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,414,744 times
New York city has 46 billionaires. The 400 Richest Americans - Forbes.com

On the otherhand, California has one of the most powerful economies in the world. It is no wonder there would be many billionaires here. According to the CIA World Fact Book 2005, California as an independent nation would be the world's 10th largest economy. The California Legislative Office thinks California would be the 8th largest economy in the world (perhaps too optimistic).
New York City would be the world's 16th largest economies, largely do to New York City.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:03 PM

718 posts, read 2,683,652 times
New York is where people count their money not where they make it.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:11 PM

25 posts, read 110,308 times
This thread amuses me no end.

However, just for the sake of accuracy... New York State has 73 entries in the Forbes 400 vs 88 for California. New York City (I assume all listings under "New York" are NYC residents) accounts for 64 of all NYS entries.

While not being too familiar with the suburbs of L.A, I think it's pretty safe to assume that NYC has more listed billionaires than L.A.

Why this should be such a point of contention .....

Why can't the protagonists on both sides simply accept the obvious.

California has more billionaires than New York, and New York has more billionaires per capita than California. You both win, no?

Old 11-27-2007, 11:05 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,480,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
New York is where people count their money not where they make it.
Yeah, whatever...

Old 12-16-2007, 02:41 AM

186 posts, read 834,320 times
I hate to say it, but you people are all kinda immature.

I grew up in the bay, live in LA, and traveled the world

1) SF is a great cultured town. A bit more stuck up than they like to believe, but still a great town. They live in NYC's shadow when reeally, SF is SF and NYC is NYC. SF is 700k people urbanized with 3 million in suburbs. NYC is 8 million urbanized and 12 million in suburbs. They are two different animals. Stop comparing. What is the point?
2) I love NYC. It is the capitol of the world and will always be the capitol. This fact doesnt make SF or Paris less cool. Get over it people.
3) LA is the least sophisticated overall, but I like it. There is more culture than many people would like to admit to themselves.
If you find it theraputic to repeatedly bash LA, by all means do so. If it makes you feel more important to point out LA's faults, then by all means, do so. LA will survive whether you love it or hate it, and most people who live in LA dont really care anyway. Most people I know living here are too laid back to even get upset over it.

Economically speaking, LA is like a 700 billion dollar economy. Bigger than london, SF+oakland+san jose, chicago, etc.

What does that mean? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. There are 60+ people who are worth 750 million or more in LA/OC? What does that mean? Nothing.

The Bay has the highest income per capita and one of the highest GDP output per capita. It has good schools in many areas, and it is a nice area in general. The weather is nice, etc. I am a BIG fan of CA (north and south along the coast), but as a Californian I was taught to be a citizen of the world. I was taught to be open and respect all cultures and countries. I spend less time trying to prove the superiority of CA and more time enjoying it and the rest of the world.

Why are NY'ers even debating this? You know you're a super city. Why even debate with anyone? You have nothing to prove. Just enjoy manhattan!!!!!!

EVeryone just needs to get over it already.2

Old 12-16-2007, 02:43 AM

89 posts, read 99,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrobe View Post
I hate to say it, but you people are all kinda immature.

I grew up in the bay, live in LA, and traveled the world

1) SF is a great cultured town. A bit more stuck up than they like to believe, but still a great town. They live in NYC's shadow when reeally, SF is SF and NYC is NYC. SF is 700k people urbanized with 3 million in suburbs. NYC is 8 million urbanized and 12 million in suburbs. They are two different animals. Stop comparing. What is the point?
2) I love NYC. It is the capitol of the world and will always be the capitol. This fact doesnt make SF or Paris less cool. Get over it people.
3) LA is the least sophisticated overall, but I like it. There is more culture than many people would like to admit to themselves.
If you find it theraputic to repeatedly bash LA, by all means do so. If it makes you feel more important to point out LA's faults, then by all means, do so. LA will survive whether you love it or hate it, and most people who live in LA dont really care anyway. Most people I know living here are too laid back to even get upset over it.

Economically speaking, LA is like a 700 billion dollar economy. Bigger than london, SF+oakland+san jose, chicago, etc.

What does that mean? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. There are 60+ people who are worth 750 million or more in LA/OC? What does that mean? Nothing.

EVeryone just needs to get over it already.
I 100% agree with this post

Old 12-16-2007, 08:37 AM

22 posts, read 133,318 times
ECHO [b]"Well, I live in Los Angeles and let me tell you....the wealthy people are leaving. ....Leaving for Orange County. Its not becoming a "town for the super-wealthy", it is becomming an extension of Mexico. It's getting poorer and poorer by the minute. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.