U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 02:35 PM

17,250 posts, read 19,550,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Never say never.
Over my dead body?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 03:08 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LOL. A city is an inanimate object and cannot exhibit qualities of vapidity or tastelessness.
I like this comment. I can understand judging a place by its climate or terrain. That makes more sense to me. I couldn't move to a hot humid city because I can't take constant humid weather so I would try to avoid a place that had that type of tropical climate all year 'round.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:40 PM

7,228 posts, read 8,237,914 times
One could to offer me a million dollars, a ferrari, a box of the finest cuban cigars, a date with a Victorias Secret model, a game of one-on-one with Michael Jordan, and a day with the Stanley Cup, and that still wouldn't be enough to get me to live in Fayetteville, NC.

Ditto Montgomery Alabama and Jackson Mississippi.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:56 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,201,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
What do you mean? We have a lot of diverse suburbs. Practically all of the inner ring Eastern suburbs are diverse in terms of a mixing of black and white. The West Side has a lot of hispanics, especially Puerto Ricans. There are a lot of Russian immigrants living here as well. There are many Jewish people here. There are so many European ethnicities represented here, it's crazy; and these groups hold on to their heritage. Every week in the summer there is a festival for a different European ethnicity. There are also Slovenian Sausage shops scattered in certain neighborhoods, a Little Italy, a Slavic Village neighborhood, Polish shops and restaurants, a Hungarian community. One walk or drive through our Cultural Gardens will tell you of the diversity of ethnicities represented here.
That wasnt my observation and the data seems to back me up. Ill grant you Cleveland has a very vibrant Jewish community and at one time it was a spot for immigration from European destinations. But there doesnt seem to be a steady source of immigrants from anyone place anymore. For its size, it gets an unusually low number of international immigrants.

Yearbook of Immigration Statistics: 2012 Legal Permanent Residents | Homeland Security

Old 11-04-2013, 02:32 AM

217 posts, read 264,471 times
Any city in the South. Too conservative and religious for me. I'll pass.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 AM

5,370 posts, read 12,981,245 times
Washington DC - Lived there and not interested in going back there to live. Nice to visit though.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,128,713 times
For me:
Houston
San Antonio
Dallas
Jacksonville
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Detroit
Baltimore
Indianapolis

Old 11-04-2013, 06:58 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
I would really not like to live anywhere north of Baltimore. Pittsburgh will be an EXTREME stretch for a northern city.

But my absolute worst nightmare for a city climate wise would be Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Milwaukee, Chicago, or Cleveland. In fact I don't know how anyone can enjoy living in Buffalo or Syracuse. Aside from family connections there cannot possibly be anything in those cities that are not found in warmer places too. I honestly would rather live in Puerto Rico than in upstate New York if I absolutely was left with no other choice. I don't know of anyone from upstate New York who lived in a warmer climate for a while EVER want to go back there. Syracuse is the snowiest city in the United States and the average lows in January is 15 degrees. I don't know how a snowbound city like Minneapolis ranks as very "livable". North Dakota also is a very desolate, frigid place. I can handle heat, I don't mind Las Vegas, Phoenix, Miami or Orlando or New Orleans in the summer, but I cannot do cold and snow. Simply cannot.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:21 PM

20 posts, read 40,466 times
Detroit- modern ghost town

Lexington, Louisville, Cincinatti, Nashville- dont like the upland south, west of the Appalachians (i think of hillbilly whiteboys, when i think of this region)

San Francisco- too much gays and hipsters

Portland, Seattle- dont like the Pacific NW, also still too many hipsters

El Paso- too many mexicans, might aswell be in mexico

Pittsburgh- too isolated

Upper Midwest (Minnesota, northen sections of michigan, and wisconsin) - Tooo cold

Appalachians- Hillbillies

Most of the west outside Southern Cali, as well as the Las Vegas, and Phoenix areas - too isolated and weird.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 PM

56,620 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I would really not like to live anywhere north of Baltimore. Pittsburgh will be an EXTREME stretch for a northern city.

But my absolute worst nightmare for a city climate wise would be Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Milwaukee, Chicago, or Cleveland. In fact I don't know how anyone can enjoy living in Buffalo or Syracuse. Aside from family connections there cannot possibly be anything in those cities that are not found in warmer places too. I honestly would rather live in Puerto Rico than in upstate New York if I absolutely was left with no other choice. I don't know of anyone from upstate New York who lived in a warmer climate for a while EVER want to go back there. Syracuse is the snowiest city in the United States and the average lows in January is 15 degrees. I don't know how a snowbound city like Minneapolis ranks as very "livable". North Dakota also is a very desolate, frigid place. I can handle heat, I don't mind Las Vegas, Phoenix, Miami or Orlando or New Orleans in the summer, but I cannot do cold and snow. Simply cannot.
Syracuse's average snowfall totals get skewed by parts of the metro that get higher totals than others. There are actually people that have moved back from the South and that enjoy living here. I think people forget that the area is prepared for the snow and that the weather isn't cut and dry here. For some reason, I don't know if you have been up here or if it was to get a reaction, but I don't know if I would go as far as saying I'd live in PR for certain quality of life reasons. I get that it is an opinion though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.