U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-10-2013, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,420 posts, read 16,970,511 times
Reputation: 9513

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
The hell do Jews have to do with anything
Irving Berlin, who wrote "White Christmas," the song which inspired the popular image of a white Christmas, was Jewish. Before that, there was no widespread popular connection between Christmas and snow, just as there were no Christmas trees until the 16th century and no Santa Claus until the 1800s. Just because YOU grew up in a place that frequently has snow in late December doesn't make it a requisite for the rest of the United States or world to celebrate Christmas. Indeed, it's rather insulting because snow is not what Christmas is about in the first place

To say you'd never live in a place because it doesn't have snow at Christmas is pretty shallow, since that eliminates about 80 percent of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2013, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Outer Space
1,524 posts, read 3,460,418 times
Reputation: 1796
Anywhere in the Great Plains, from North Dakota to Oklahoma. No, no, no, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2013, 07:58 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,745,065 times
Reputation: 46028
Las Vegas and Orlando, because I've visited those towns several times. And not as a tourist.

But I'm really amazed by people on this thread who make blanket judgments about places they've never visited or only driven through on the interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2013, 08:02 PM
 
Location: OH
364 posts, read 572,325 times
Reputation: 475
An absolute NO to anything in the state of West Virginia. I always get a very eerie vibe driving through WV; and the state seems stuck in a time warp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2013, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,391,750 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Uh ... dude. Seriously? "White Christmas" is a creation of Hollywood (typical). Besides, to half the world (the part BELOW the equator), Christmas is in the SUMMERTIME! Guess we should feel sorry for them because they aren't lucky enough to be influenced by an image of what Christmas is supposed to be created by Jews in the entertainment industry?!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2013, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,391,750 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I guess if you keep telling yourself anything, you start to believe it.

Having grown up in Southern California, I've absolutely zero wistful fondness for living any extended period in snow. There is snow to play, ski, tube, board, walk and flounder in 90 minutes away. It has its appeal, but I can leave it where belongs, and not have to dig my car out the driveway the next morning. I'd rather that as a recreational option rather than a lifestyle feature, in addition to things like winter adult league baseball, golfing, tennis, biking, etc, all in a more benign temperature. I can comfortably air out my home every day of the year, but it gets chilly enough at nights to wear layers and otherwise allow me to change up my wardrobe. Enjoyable climatic variation need not be physically painful.

Of course, this is subjective. But I recently spent successive Christmas weekends in deep snowy climes. I know exactly what I'm missing. Never again.
That's all fine and whatnot, but I do love it when it does snow around certain times during the winter. And besides, its not like it snows a lot or too heavy here in DC area. Its usually freezing rain. But I do like white Christmases even though I'm not above taking an out-of-town Christmas week trip to warmer climates like the Caribbean. Different strokes for different folks. Loved SoCal's weather when I was there btw, but I still much prefer seasonal variation. Just my opinion though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2013, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,391,750 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
An absolute NO to anything in the state of West Virginia. I always get a very eerie vibe driving through WV; and the state seems stuck in a time warp.
What do you be seeing during your drives in WV? I never been there yet, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2013, 10:36 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,260 posts, read 19,555,335 times
Reputation: 13031
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
One day I want to book at a hotel up in the NYC around Christmas week (Before X-mas Day) and go Christmas shopping on 5th Avenue, SoHo, and 57th Street and I hope that one of those days, it will snow.....Enchanting the NYC with the beauty of winter, as well as turning Central Park into a winter wonderland of sorts, which would make for a perfect romantic activity with me and my lovely girlfriend (I'm an Autumn person, she's a Winter person) And yes, the amount of times that I have watched the Home Alone 2: Lost in New York movie to this very day has inspired me to make such a move!
It's funny you say this, because just this weekend I booked a hotel in New York City for around Christmas time.

Looking forward to it. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2013, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Irving Berlin, who wrote "White Christmas," the song which inspired the popular image of a white Christmas, was Jewish. Before that, there was no widespread popular connection between Christmas and snow, just as there were no Christmas trees until the 16th century and no Santa Claus until the 1800s. Just because YOU grew up in a place that frequently has snow in late December doesn't make it a requisite for the rest of the United States or world to celebrate Christmas. Indeed, it's rather insulting because snow is not what Christmas is about in the first place

To say you'd never live in a place because it doesn't have snow at Christmas is pretty shallow, since that eliminates about 80 percent of the world.
Irving Berlin wrote the song "White Christmas" for Bing Crosby to perform in the movie "Holiday Inn" which was supposed to take place in Vermont where there was snow at the inn where he and a troupe of performers were doing a show. The song caught on and became a popular one that was sung at Christmas time like "Jingle Bells" and other tunes. Nobody planned it that way. No conspiracy. Rent the movie.

To get back OT, I have visited New Orleans and really loved it but could never lived there because it's just too hot in the summer time. I am more of a cold weather person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2013, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,391,750 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's funny you say this, because just this weekend I booked a hotel in New York City for around Christmas time.

Looking forward to it. :-)
Lucky you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top