U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-12-2013, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Brew City
4,327 posts, read 2,543,789 times
Reputation: 5845

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
If it weren't for traffic and that damn heat, Austin is close to perfect.
Ive heard it's a great town however heat alone eliminates it for me. I like winter. I like four seasons. And I really don't think I can handle the Texas attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2013, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,168 posts, read 36,370,190 times
Reputation: 63962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Ive heard it's a great town however heat alone eliminates it for me. I like winter. I like four seasons. And I really don't think I can handle the Texas attitude.
How much time have you spent in Texas? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Brew City
4,327 posts, read 2,543,789 times
Reputation: 5845
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
How much time have you spent in Texas? Just curious.
More than I'd like to have. I honestly didn't mind Houston as a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,892 posts, read 3,013,278 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
To me, experiencing snow and all the things related to it is almost a staple of what it means to be American. Who doesn't dream of a white Christmas? You would rather have a warm and sunny Christmas? Yuck.

If someone hates snow, then they'd be better off living in an actual tropical country.
Exactly. If it's 95 in June, that's fine, it's summer it's supposed to be hot. But, and I'm a Texan, an 88 degree Thanksgiving is kind of annoying.


There's something quaint about a cold holiday. That being said, I'd gladly live in CAli and suffer through a 70 degree Xmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,892 posts, read 3,013,278 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that this post is worded extremely awkwardly? I can't possibly be the only one...
No you're not. Very poor choice of words imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,664,157 times
Reputation: 3630
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I like snow but I don't like the mixture of snow and high population density. Been there, done that and it is miserable. Any snowy places with density levels like Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are okay. Any snowy places with population density like eastern Massachusetts are a no-go. I would have no major issues with a Massachusetts-like level of density if it was in non-snowy climate.
I can understand this (shoveling I assume?) I have only seen snow fall from the sky once, and because of the wind that was also going on, I disliked it. The tour guide also said it was only a flurry... But I love cold weather in reality, maybe I just need a snow tolerance.

I'm starting to consider places that actually get snow like Denver so I can have the experience. I've only seen snow fall once, only seen fall leaves twice... pretty terrible, if you ask me. Most of Arizona looks the same and it sucks. Also, it is currently 82... and it feels hot out. I don't like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,664,157 times
Reputation: 3630
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
To me, experiencing snow and all the things related to it is almost a staple of what it means to be American. Who doesn't dream of a white Christmas? You would rather have a warm and sunny Christmas? Yuck.

If someone hates snow, then they'd be better off living in an actual tropical country.
Christmas sucks in southern Arizona, just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Outer Space
1,524 posts, read 3,464,379 times
Reputation: 1796
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I can understand this (shoveling I assume?) I have only seen snow fall from the sky once, and because of the wind that was also going on, I disliked it. The tour guide also said it was only a flurry... But I love cold weather in reality, maybe I just need a snow tolerance.

I'm starting to consider places that actually get snow like Denver so I can have the experience. I've only seen snow fall once, only seen fall leaves twice... pretty terrible, if you ask me. Most of Arizona looks the same and it sucks. Also, it is currently 82... and it feels hot out. I don't like this.
You could move the PNW. It is cool to cold in winter, but it snows only 1-2 times a year and melts nearly immediately. Generally if you want snow, you have to go up into the mountains. It was fun to go up in the middle of August when it was scorching for my relatives back in the Midwest and have snowball fights on the patches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2013, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Central Maine
2,867 posts, read 2,993,989 times
Reputation: 3983
Of cities that I have been to...Washington DC for one. NYC another. Cost of living for one. Congestion and crime for another. Buffalo NY would be another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2013, 04:56 AM
 
775 posts, read 715,890 times
Reputation: 1048
Las Vegas - More of a touristy party-town than a place I would want to call home
Phoenix - Too hot in the summer for me
Detroit - Does this one really need an explanation?
NYC - Great to visit (I want to go back), but just not a place I could see myself wanting to live in
WA DC - High COL + horrible traffic + a mecca of corrupt politicians = yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top