U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:34 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
For me it makes life pretty hard, it is nice coming home to a nice heated house and drink some hot chocolate. Snow is BEAUTIFUL when it first falls but after awhile the snow gets all dirty and slushy.

Skiing and showboarding is fun but expensive, Winter photography and walks? in subzero temperatures? no thank you.

Buy a hot tub, thats the only thing i miss.... laying back in the hot tub while the snow is falling
Once you buy the equipment, it's no longer expensive Unless you go to a ski resort, but that's the thing. I live in Florida, we have to drive 15 hours for a ski resort and then we have to rent. When it's in your own backyard, you don't have to drive anywhere and if you already own, no need to rent.

It's also not always subzero, even in the far north.

By the way I plan to visit Antarctica some day, and the Arctic. Those are two beautiful parts of our world that are thankfully, for the most part, uncharted. Cold weather phobics are sadly gonna miss out on the chance to see such environments, if not for the weather, do it for the penguins :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:42 PM

18,636 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Exactly. If it's 95 in June, that's fine, it's summer it's supposed to be hot. But, and I'm a Texan, an 88 degree Thanksgiving is kind of annoying.

There's something quaint about a cold holiday. That being said, I'd gladly live in CAli and suffer through a 70 degree Xmas.
It's rarely 88 degrees on thanksgiving in Texas. I've experienced ice storms in central Texas on tgiving, though that rare too. It's usually in the upper 50s or somewhere in the 60s.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:06 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,831,070 times
Cleveland, Atlanta

Old 12-08-2013, 08:47 PM

1,977 posts, read 1,816,378 times
Detroit
Chicago
Atlanta
New Orleans
Columbia, SC

Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,626,549 times
Very few cities in the US I wouldnt move to for the right money. I cant think of a US metro over 1,000,000 that doesn't offer a world class lifestyle for a filthy rich person. Not to mention a very wealthy individual has the ability to travel as much as they would like.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Major cities:

Portland- too granola and hippie, and dreary

Denver- too cold and isolated, and dull. Same with Salt Lake City

Phoenix- too dull and not cosmopolitan enough

Oklahoma City- too isolated and redneck

San Antonio- too lopsided in demographics

Detroit- too dangerous and past its prime

Minneapolis- too Northern and isolated and dull

Miami- too ghetto and too humid, people are nasty and too lopsided in demographics

Indianopolis/ Columbus/ Cleveland/ Cincinatti/ Buffalo- all too forgettable, rundown and dull

Baltimore/ Philadelphia- too dangerous and gritty and intense-feeling, and dirty for my liking
Just read to post #40. Forgive me if I'm being repetitious. I've learned to "never say never". There are many cities I think I wouldn't like, but you never know. I would like to say, Denver is not (usually) cold. We have warmer winters than many cities at the same latitude, e.g. Champaign, IL and Pittsburgh, both of which I've also lived in. We have lots of warm, sunny days in winter where the highs are in the 50s/60s.

Denver isolated-yes, it's that.

Dull-I don't think so!

Old 12-08-2013, 09:37 PM

2,770 posts, read 5,356,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgem View Post
I have only been to a few areas in New Jersey outside Newark. NJ is a dirty and ugly place. I have delt with a lot of fake self absorbed people from NJ. All I currently do not associate with. My most recent trip in June is my last for sure. Newark airport rudest staff I ever encountered at any airport. I will stay in NY and NY only. No path train for me.
That's such a tiny sliver of the state. Your solution is funny because some outsiders often consider NY worse than adjacent areas in NJ for 'self-absorbed' folks.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 PM

363 posts, read 617,253 times
Cities I couldn't live in

San Francisco- not really a fan of fog, and it seems a little too moist for me. Also, I'm not into the whole hipster thing

Portland- The Hipster thing also makes portland kind of a no-go for me. Strangely enough i'd like Seattle though. It seems big enough that it's not just hipsters. It's got other things going for it. Portland though just isn't my style.

Phoenix. I love the Southwest, but Phoenix just looks like one big suburb in the middle of the desert. Also seems to focused on appearances in terms of people.

Miami. Love the beaches in Florida, but i'll admit i'd fit in better on the redneck riviera than on Miami beach.

Detroit- Normally I love the midwest too, but Detroit just seems so ugly and run down. At least other rust belt cities are trying to revitalize themselves. Detroit is too, but they aren't able to pull themselves up

Old 12-08-2013, 10:01 PM

6,433 posts, read 9,951,901 times
San Francisco and Portland. Those are literally the only cities in the U.S. I would ever refuse to move to. If there's anything I hate more than liberalism, it's extreme liberalism. Even if the politics weren't the same, the people in those cities are downright rude and nasty. They have no sense of kindness or respect. If I lived there, I would be in a fight everyday.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:22 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,798,386 times
There isn't a single major city in America that I wouldn't be able to make the best of.

As for smaller cities and towns, unless they're in the South, I'm certain I'd be quite miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.