U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:10 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,233,285 times

Advertisements

• Louisville, KY (lived there, never again)
  • San Francisco (used to go 1-2x weekly, could never live there)
  • East Palo Alto, CA (small but very depressing)
  • Chicago's southwest and west sides (crime or not, as depressing as what I'd expect to find in Eastern Europe)
  • Gary, IN
  • Flint, MI
  • West Memphis, AR
  • North Dakota
  • Florida primarily below I-10 (like 85% of the state)
  • More depressed, isolated parts of Appalachia and the Delta region (parts of MS/LA/AR)

Honorable mention: I moved to Orange County, CA two months ago. It's the only place I've lived in to date where I have been looking for a new place to live (in L.A. County) no sooner than I have arrived. Let's just say that OC like is a gorgeous blond who is acutely mentally ill with an obnoxious, "princess" personality. So unless I just find someplace in OC that I really love, and I haven't found it yet, then no, I probably wouldn't move back here.

Obviously, major crime-ridden ghetto areas in any city are a no-go. I want to see those areas improve, sure, but I also don't want to get killed. Aside from that, there aren't that many places where I wouldn't live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:38 AM

213 posts, read 208,425 times
I would not live anywhere in Missisppi,Alabama,Oklahoma,or anwhere in Arkansas OTHER than Northwest Ar or Little Rock.Other than that I'd give anything a chance.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:18 AM

4,242 posts, read 2,517,507 times
I can't imagine any circumstance that would find me living in any major city so these are areas my husband and I have ruled out for relocation.

Texas
Southern California though this is starting to grow into the entire state due to cost of living.
The American South with the exception of parts of Florida, Georgia, Tennesse and the Carolinas but it would take the perfect city.
Texas
Roseburg, OR (I looked into it when my husband sent me a job posting and the town sounded awful).
And aparently Bartow, WV. Imagine the worst demographics you can imagine and you'll find that in the 111 strong hamlet of Bartow, WV. Again, my husband had a job posting so it's my job to check out the town and say yea or nay and I couldn't find a single redeemable quality about Bartow, WV. I thought I could find a neighboring town and commute. Nope. Middle of nowhere.
Did I mention Texas?

My husband has the luxury of having the entire nation as a potential workplace so I'm always looking into little towns. I'll give most areas a shot.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,603,434 times
Detroit
Phoenix

Anywhere in....
West Virginia
Mississippi
Kentucky
Louisiana
The Dakotas

Other than those exceptions, I would be willing to give any city or state a chance providing I had the right job opportunity.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:22 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times
I am wondering what the reasons people are saying they do not want to live in the cities they are listing. And also, if they have ever even been to those cities or are going by reputation only. For example, someone mentioned they would not live in Portland because there were too many hippies. I live in Portland and I see few if any hippies here. They may exist in the more rural areas but that's about it.

Las Vegas has its gambling and nightlife along the strip but there are other areas as well that are quiet and just as nice as any other place. California is not all Los Angeles, San Francisco or Hollywood. There are the areas for which the cities or states or even regions have their reputations but those conditions do not exist over the entire area if they truly do exist at all.

Again this of course does not apply to those who have actually gone to the places they do not care for and have drawn their opinions for themselves. I am only referring to those who are going strictly by hearsay who have not checked this places out.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:44 PM

1,974 posts, read 2,717,490 times
Pinebluff, Arkansas. The crime rate is way to high. Especially murders.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:42 PM

10,558 posts, read 13,127,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
the most "Southern" thing you will find in Miami is black Americans because all of the white hicks fled after the Mariel boatlift like rats.
Chick-fil-a what?
That makes sense.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:50 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,754,121 times
Anywhere in Texas or any small city with a population under 50,000.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:59 PM

4,242 posts, read 2,517,507 times
I'll add another to the list. My hubby just sent me another town to check out for a possible job location and I think it's safe to say I'm not willing to move my young family to Petersburg, AK. A tiny little town on one of the islands along BC. Only way in and out appears to be by plane or large boat. I'm open to some locations in AK, Juneau would be cool, but not a town as isolated as Petersburg.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:03 PM

10,558 posts, read 13,127,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I'll add another to the list. My hubby just sent me another town to check out for a possible job location and I think it's safe to say I'm not willing to move my young family to Petersburg, AK. A tiny little town on one of the islands along BC. Only way in and out appears to be by plane or large boat. I'm open to some locations in AK, Juneau would be cool, but not a town as isolated as Petersburg.
Why leave Helena, it's a nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.