Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 10:42 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,087,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I would really not like to live anywhere north of Baltimore. Pittsburgh will be an EXTREME stretch for a northern city.

But my absolute worst nightmare for a city climate wise would be Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Milwaukee, Chicago, or Cleveland. In fact I don't know how anyone can enjoy living in Buffalo or Syracuse. Aside from family connections there cannot possibly be anything in those cities that are not found in warmer places too. I honestly would rather live in Puerto Rico than in upstate New York if I absolutely was left with no other choice. I don't know of anyone from upstate New York who lived in a warmer climate for a while EVER want to go back there. Syracuse is the snowiest city in the United States and the average lows in January is 15 degrees. I don't know how a snowbound city like Minneapolis ranks as very "livable". North Dakota also is a very desolate, frigid place. I can handle heat, I don't mind Las Vegas, Phoenix, Miami or Orlando or New Orleans in the summer, but I cannot do cold and snow. Simply cannot.
Just want to point out that Minneapolis is hardly snowbound. They do get very very cold in the winter, but they don't get that much precipitation. Plus the winter's there are probably the best season, because it's sunny, and it gets cold enough that everything freezes, so you can do outdoor winter sports like skating, skiing, ice fishing, snow shoeing. When I lived there, I loathed Minnesota for just about everything but the winters. It's such an invigorating feeling to breath in that clean, -20 degrees air, and feel the snot in your nostrils freeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,926,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Just want to point out that Minneapolis is hardly snowbound. They do get very very cold in the winter, but they don't get that much precipitation. Plus the winter's there are probably the best season, because it's sunny, and it gets cold enough that everything freezes, so you can do outdoor winter sports like skating, skiing, ice fishing, snow shoeing. When I lived there, I loathed Minnesota for just about everything but the winters. It's such an invigorating feeling to breath in that clean, -20 degrees air, and feel the snot in your nostrils freeze.
LOL. Interesting way to put it.

The Twin Cities are great in the other seasons too. Fall colors are gorgeous! Bike paths abound for summer activities as well. Many, many, MANY lakes. The water does eventually warm up to swim in (especially those more shallow lakes..Lake Superior further north by Duluth.. eh, not so much)

Old 11-10-2013, 03:20 AM

7,725 posts, read 6,370,263 times
Kiryas Joel, New York
Detroit, Michigan
Belle Glade, Florida

Anywhere in the southwest with a chance that the water supply is contaminated with nuclear radiation!

Old 11-10-2013, 03:25 AM

7,725 posts, read 6,370,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post

I really don't understand people that seriously HATE cold weather. I understand if it's not your favourite but honestly, y'all can't find nothing to do? Nothing enjoyable? Is a white landscape decorated with beautiful snow and ice that HORRIBLE? No ice skating? Skiing? Snowboarding? Making snowmen? Winter photography? Winter walks? Y'all can't do none of that?

I'm moving from Florida to Minnesota. I don't hate the heat, I hate it when it overstays it's WELCOME! What I want is seasonal variation. And to be able to ice skate in a park

Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 AM

8,815 posts, read 6,141,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Any town that gets a lot of snow. Snow and I don't have a very good relationship, so... But a little bit of snow is fine by my means.
Outside of those places, um, I would say Honolulu (too expensive and too many tourists for me), SLC (just not interested), Las Vegas, and Phoenix (my goal is to say never again, eh?).
I like snow but I don't like the mixture of snow and high population density. Been there, done that and it is miserable. Any snowy places with density levels like Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are okay. Any snowy places with population density like eastern Massachusetts are a no-go. I would have no major issues with a Massachusetts-like level of density if it was in non-snowy climate.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 11-10-2013 at 09:47 AM..

Old 11-10-2013, 09:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,183,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I like snow but I don't like the mixture of snow and high population density. Been there, done that and it is miserable. Any snowy places with density levels like Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are okay. Any snowy places with population density like eastern Massachusetts are a no-go. I would have no major issues with a Massachusetts-like level of density if it was in non-snowy climate.
Why does the combination matter?

Old 11-10-2013, 10:23 AM

27,275 posts, read 28,346,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I really don't understand people that seriously HATE cold weather. I understand if it's not your favourite but honestly, y'all can't find nothing to do? Nothing enjoyable? Is a white landscape decorated with beautiful snow and ice that HORRIBLE? No ice skating? Skiing? Snowboarding? Making snowmen? Winter photography? Winter walks? Y'all can't do none of that?
To me, experiencing snow and all the things related to it is almost a staple of what it means to be American. Who doesn't dream of a white Christmas? You would rather have a warm and sunny Christmas? Yuck.

If someone hates snow, then they'd be better off living in an actual tropical country.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,878,765 times
Greenville and Jackson Mississippi
Montgomery, Alabama
Billings Montana and the rest of the state
Boston Massachusetts
Anywhere in the midwest that is not Chicago
Boise Iadaho
Salt Lake City Utah

Old 11-10-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I like snow but I don't like the mixture of snow and high population density. Been there, done that and it is miserable. Any snowy places with density levels like Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are okay. Any snowy places with population density like eastern Massachusetts are a no-go. I would have no major issues with a Massachusetts-like level of density if it was in a non-snowy climate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why does the combination matter?
Because in high density areas, residential development is designed for maximum occupancy based on summer weather especially when developers are trying to maximize profit and municipal governments are trying to maximize the quantity of taxable property. All the places I have lived in Massachusetts lacked sufficient space to accommodate snow accumulation. I don't want to live in an area where I am going to hate and dread every winter due to those conditions that I cannot change.

In some spots we had neighbors fighting over where to put plowed and shoveled snow. There were plenty of times where I had to confront neighbors moving snow from in front of their properties to the front of my place. Where I am in New Hampshire now that is a non-issue thankfully. I clear my driveway after each storm and that is it.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
To me, experiencing snow and all the things related to it is almost a staple of what it means to be American. Who doesn't dream of a white Christmas? You would rather have a warm and sunny Christmas? Yuck.
When I lived in Massachusetts I complained every day from November to February about the snow forecasts. Snow made living in the more compact Massachusetts cities like Lowell and Quincy a nightmare. In contrast last winter in southern New Hampshire was a joy. One day I was out doing some minor cleanup around the driveway with a shovel and I stopped to look at the neighbor's kids riding their snowmobiles around their backyard. I started to daydream about buying one myself and going up into the north country to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.