U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 03:36 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,057,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It's also much easier to get disoriented and lose your sense of direction. For most of my life, I thought the house I lived in in the Pittsburgh area had a front door that faced south, but after finding the old house on Wikimapia a couple of years ago, I realized that the front door faced west, and all the hills and other houses I saw from my bedroom window that I thought were to the northwest were actually to the northeast.
I'm not sure how this is possible. Could you not see the sun? It rises in the east, sets in the west. Did you notice sun coming through the windows? That was the south facing side of the house.

To answer the OP's question...it's only a problem if you're a downhill skier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 06:18 PM

654 posts, read 1,616,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
So again I ask, what is wrong with states being flat or mostly flat?
There is nothing really wrong with it. It is a personal preference, much like other preferences like being near an ocean or weather. Posters on here frequently make these preference statements as if they are facts.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,026,386 times
It's aesthetically boring. Not much in the way of views. Biking and hiking are less interesting. Being able to see (or at least some days) hilly terrain adds a bit of special to your day to day routine.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,652,932 times
I think the mountains are aesthetically pleasing. I like to look out them on road trips and I would probably be very bored on a daily basis without being able to see them, in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,001,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Flat states pros:

- Easier on your transportation (feet, car, bicycle, rail, etc.)

- Beautiful horizons & some of the most amazing thunderstorms across the plains states

- Usually on or close to an ocean (Gulf Coast states)

Flat states cons:

- Flooding

- Lack of sports such as skiing & hiking

- Can get monotonous over time
You forgot about the skyscrapers in the CBDs and the views of the many miles away. That's a pro for Chicago and Houston and a con for L.A. and S.F. West Coast skylines suck due to the mountains. The flatness are an incentive to create aesthetic skylines and skyscrapers.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:26 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,489,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You forgot about the skyscrapers in the CBDs and the views of the many miles away. That's a pro for Chicago and Houston and a con for L.A. and S.F. West Coast skylines suck due to the mountains. The flatness are an incentive to create aesthetic skylines and skyscrapers.
Ok.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:32 AM

12 posts, read 16,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Please don't try and pair Houston and Chicago with this statement, Houston's skyline is very unimpressive due to the spread out buildings of its downtown

Old 10-31-2013, 03:41 AM

656 posts, read 1,794,737 times
Whether a state is good or bad depending on whether or not it has elevation features completely depends on who you ask. Everyone will answer in favor of their opinion. It's like someone bashing a certain flavor of ice cream b/c they simply don't like it. You're wired the way you are wired and thus you will like what you like. Some of it may depend on the terrain in which someone grows up. Such as if someone grows up in the mountains or in a flat area and in general associates that with a feeling of home. In the end the whole debate of flat vs elevated states is like a liberal arts class in college, it all depends on who you ask and has nothing to do with mathematical or hard scientific data.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:22 AM

34,701 posts, read 33,718,482 times
I call people "flatlanders" when they live in a flat state like Florida and are dying to move to the mountains where they vacation. They have no concept of what it means to go up and down mountain roads on a daily basis in the winter or the potential isolation when it isn't tourist season. This is especially true for retirees whose reaction time may slow down as they get older.

As a person with a photography hobby, I happen to like rural scenery like farms, so I have no problem visiting rural areas in flat states.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:29 AM

13,224 posts, read 17,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I'm not sure how this is possible. Could you not see the sun? It rises in the east, sets in the west. Did you notice sun coming through the windows? That was the south facing side of the house.
Sunrise and sunset move all over the horizon during the course of a year, especially the higher you go in latitude. It rises in the southeast and sets in the southwest from November through January, rises in the northeast and sets in the northwest from May through July, and only rises due east and sets due west in March and September. And if it's hilly and verdant enough, your own personal "sunrise" can happen much later than the actual sunrise, because your own personal "horizon" is higher in the sky. You can be in the shade as late as 10AM during the winter months, or as early as 3PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.