Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 12:51 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times

Advertisements

To me a state that is visually flat just looks boring..

I like to do alot of hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, mtn biking, spirited driving, etc. all these activities are much funner with varied terrain.

Anytime there is varying elevation it also give you natural lookout. plus I would rather look out at a rolling hillside or mountain range then just flat....

It is more challenging to build roads/houses in hills/mountains but it also makes the roads and houses more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
To me a state that is visually flat just looks boring..

I like to do alot of hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, mtn biking, spirited driving, etc. all these activities are much funner with varied terrain.

Anytime there is varying elevation it also give you natural lookout. plus I would rather look out at a rolling hillside or mountain range then just flat....

It is more challenging to build roads/houses in hills/mountains but it also makes the roads and houses more interesting.
I know here in south LA we have roads that follow bayous that twist and turn for miles on end and are often empty. Nothing really compared to mountain roads but fun nonetheless.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Everyone thinks Iowa is the definition of flat, although after growing up there and driving around other parts I realized it was actually fairly hilly, just a lot of rolling hills. Illinois and Indiana are FLAT. I find the rolling hills in Iowa to be very beautiful during the summer when it's just walls of green as far as the eye can see.

One state that drove me mad was Mississippi - the entire length I feel like it was pine trees on either side the entire way. You couldn't see anything except the road in front and behind you. Felt very trapped.
Eh the hilly parts of southern Illinois and Indiana are just as hilly as the hilly parts of Iowa (of which there are also plenty of flat parts). The elevation span in all three states is within a couple hundred feet of one another. It's all about which part you do/don't see.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:33 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
While I think there's beauty to be found everywhere, flat states do bore me. And I don't find them as attractive as mountainous states. And they're certainly not more preferable. Having grown up with mountains on the horizon, I miss them when I am in areas that don't have them. I like to see something on the horizon. And I like to be able to see beautiful vistas as I drive around, something that it's hard to do when the land is flat.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:39 PM

623 posts, read 958,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I often see people knock down states like Florida, Texas (though Texas does have some mountains and Florida has some hills), Louisiana, Georgia etc...and I just don't understand why? I mean don't get me wrong, I love mountains too, but flat states are by no means ugly or boring. I think flat has several advantages, such as in Florida everything is more green as everything is closer to the water level. Flat also makes it easier to run and bike, as well as driving is easier. Plus IMO it makes everything feel large (don't ask me why, it just does to me).

So again I ask, what is wrong with states being flat or mostly flat?
I get inspiration from mountains, and am bored with a flat horizon. Just personal preference.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Uh ... Georgia is not flat. Somebody from Florida saying so is really quite bizarre.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:44 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, they're better. They have a good background with mountains.
Actually mountains are a distraction. They are the first thing my eyes see in a skyline picture. The buildings are dwarfed by them.

Mountains by themselves are impressive, but don't mix well with skylines. Being from Houston, I'm used to the polychromatic downtown skyline. Chicago does a good job with being colorful. New York, DT L.A. and S.F. are very monochromatic; looks dull and boring especially on a cloudy day.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:53 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Actually mountains are a distraction. They are the first thing my eyes see in a skyline picture. The buildings are dwarfed by them.

Mountains by themselves are impressive, but don't mix well with skylines. Being from Houston, I'm used to the polychromatic downtown skyline. Chicago does a good job with being colorful. New York, DT L.A. and S.F. are very monochromatic; looks dull and boring especially on a cloudy day.
Leave it to someone from Houston to call the NYC skyline "dull and boring" ...

Old 11-02-2013, 08:30 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodward1 View Post
Texas is a very flat state. Not as flat as Florida, of course, but most Texans live in the Houston and Dallas areas, and those areas are totally flat.

And the reason flat states are sometimes less appealing is because flat is boring compared to varied scenery.
Dallas is not totally flat. You obviously only been to the Northern Suburbs.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:38 PM

462 posts, read 720,133 times
Nothing is wrong with being flat, if you are a large scale corporate farmer in Kansas or Nebraska. In that case it is the greatest thing in the world. For tourist destinations like Florida, not only is it kind of boring, but it allows all kinds of wind storms from the ocean. Mountains serve as natural windshields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.