U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:41 PM

4,565 posts, read 3,680,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Sounds like you haven't really explored AZ, or at least you've been just been around Tucson.
I grew up in Phoenix, and I just moved to Tucson a couple months ago. Never lived outside of Phoenix before this. I was hoping to find these things relatively closer to the city (since the beach is 6 hours from Phoenix, and about 3 hours to the mountains), or within it.

Why I wanted to get out is mainly because of the dry and the heat. Phoenix does offer some of the things on my list, like a low COL and an ok job market and a good nightlife around Tempe. I do like Phoenix to an extent but I would like to at least try living somewhere different than here. Tucson is much closer to the forests and snow (yay, Mt. Lemmon!) but it's not the "big city" that I would ultimately like to live in. Also, a little too hot than what I would prefer. Flagstaff has it even better as far as climate goes (and Payson and Prescott, whom are pretty similar), but Flagstaff does not have a good nightlife nor job market since it's so small. And all the other towns outside of those are off the list for being too small for my liking.

I was hoping to find a city closer to the water and closer to the mountains/forests so that I could participate in these activities since I rarely get to (no car now, hopefully this will change in the near future).

I just know that AZ does not offer a Phoenix (with its nightlife, shopping, concerts, etc.) in the mountains or near the beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,375,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Wow, Atlanta, really? I'm kind of shocked. Then again, the closest I've ever gotten to Atlanta would probably be Miami... lol. Geographically. If I eventually get an excuse to head out there I'll check it out! I haven't been to Miami in a long time but the closest I get to it in recent times is NOLA... I'll see!

Thank you guys for the advice! I'll look into all of these places and keep an open mind.
I said "Atlanta" based on your weather and cost of living. Atlanta is real cheap...just an FYI

Old 11-01-2013, 11:54 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,141,070 times
Atlanta would be perfect for you plus it is so green here

Old 11-02-2013, 12:26 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,752,955 times
I am going to vote for Atlanta too. It sounds like it fits just what you are looking for.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:29 PM

Man, and on that "mapping your mood" thread I also got Georgia! Maybe this is destiny...

Thank you so much you guys!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:24 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,720,381 times
I'm throwing in for Pittsburgh. Nothing against Atlanta, but (depending what you do) Pittsburgh has an OK job market in many fields, you can kayak rivers to your heart's content and there's a ton of serious whitewater pretty close by. Plus REAL four seasons without the "midwest snow" (that typically stays north of I80). Lots of cultural stuff to do, many indie restaurants, buttloads of bars and fairly affordable pricing - it's more or less a college town, after all.

Just be forewarned the Mex/Cal-Mex/Tex-Mex food scene is getting better, but isn't all that good.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:35 PM

Mexican food shall improve over time everywhere in the country soon enough, Arizona just got hit by it first. Least of my worries (even though I love my Mexican food)

I've heard a lot of good things about Pittsburgh recently. Definitely somewhere I'd consider! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.