U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 11:21 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,646,062 times

Advertisements

So I am an AZ native. Arizona is a great state and all but I want something different. This is what I would like in a city:

- Better weather. The 70s feel like a dream come true to me but then again, even the 90s do too. And the 60s. Highs in these ranges would be great. But no more 100s, I can't. Monsoon season is also my favorite time of the year in Phoenix. Call me crazy, but I love humidity and rain. Not sure about Portland/Seattle rain though, I've never been there. (Also, me and snow don't get along very well. Maybe somewhere with a little snow is fine but no Midwest snow, please. I guarantee I could not handle that.)
- Four seasons, maybe? Any day of the year looks the same down here so some variety would be nice.
- More diversity. I'm sick of the same stores, the same restaurants, the same types of people in cookie-cutter houses.
- More nightlife, so more concerts, bars, local shows, etc.
- More outdoor activities. I love to kayak and whitewater raft (and pretty much every water sport in general) but that's pretty much impossible to do often in Arizona and I would like to do that more. Also, I like camping and being in the forest. Whether it is a pine or tropical forest.
- A somewhat ok job market. I've accepted that nearly no place in this country has a great job market, except Texas, apparently.
- Low COL, kind of. I'm in college currently, but this list is based on job markets to watch to apply for internships and eventually full-time jobs. The low COL is not only because I would like more bang for the buck, but because I would like to live closer to the city and not in the suburbs since I'm young.

I don't expect all of these to fit to any city, but a majority would be great. I don't have any limitations on where this city is but the closer it is to Arizona (for family) the better. Thank you guys in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 06:20 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Pretty much all of your criteria points toward Atlanta in my opinion. It has your criteria for weather, diversity, nightlife, outdoor activities (check out Lake Lanier), a lower cost of living and a decent job market given the fact Atlanta is one of the major corporate centers in the country. It's not close to Arizona obviously but there's umpteen nonstop flights a day out of Atlanta to Phoenix to choose from.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:06 AM

56,660 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Perhaps Nashville could be a good fit.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:45 AM

4,787 posts, read 9,305,892 times
Greenville, South Carolina

Meets all your list except for being near AZ

Visit Greenville, SC - YouTube

Old 10-31-2013, 10:32 AM

4,240 posts, read 2,514,792 times
You should check out Boise, ID. Not much snow in the valley but plenty in the mountains for playing.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,364,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
So I am an AZ native. Arizona is a great state and all but I want something different. This is what I would like in a city:

- Better weather. The 70s feel like a dream come true to me but then again, even the 90s do too. And the 60s. Highs in these ranges would be great. But no more 100s, I can't. Monsoon season is also my favorite time of the year in Phoenix. Call me crazy, but I love humidity and rain. Not sure about Portland/Seattle rain though, I've never been there. (Also, me and snow don't get along very well. Maybe somewhere with a little snow is fine but no Midwest snow, please. I guarantee I could not handle that.)
- Four seasons, maybe? Any day of the year looks the same down here so some variety would be nice.
- More diversity. I'm sick of the same stores, the same restaurants, the same types of people in cookie-cutter houses.
- More nightlife, so more concerts, bars, local shows, etc.
- More outdoor activities. I love to kayak and whitewater raft (and pretty much every water sport in general) but that's pretty much impossible to do often in Arizona and I would like to do that more. Also, I like camping and being in the forest. Whether it is a pine or tropical forest.
- A somewhat ok job market. I've accepted that nearly no place in this country has a great job market, except Texas, apparently.
- Low COL, kind of. I'm in college currently, but this list is based on job markets to watch to apply for internships and eventually full-time jobs. The low COL is not only because I would like more bang for the buck, but because I would like to live closer to the city and not in the suburbs since I'm young.

I don't expect all of these to fit to any city, but a majority would be great. I don't have any limitations on where this city is but the closer it is to Arizona (for family) the better. Thank you guys in advance for the help!
Sounds like you're looking for Atlanta...except for the architectual diversity. Alotta cookie-cutter homes in the A.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:29 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Sounds like you're looking for Atlanta...except for the architectual diversity. Alotta cookie-cutter homes in the A.
I disagree. Like most big cities Atlanta has a number of interesting neighborhoods and inner ring suburbs with a variety of architectural styles, as well as the newer build suburbs you're referring to. Some examples of places to check out are East Atlanta, Little Five Points, Old Fourth Ward, Grant Park, East Atlanta, Kirkwood, Decatur/North Decatur, North Druid Hills, Avondale Estates, Brookhaven, Chamblee, Northlake, Sandy Springs and Roswell.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:05 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
OTP, sure. ITP, that's not an issue.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:55 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,646,062 times
Wow, Atlanta, really? I'm kind of shocked. Then again, the closest I've ever gotten to Atlanta would probably be Miami... lol. Geographically. If I eventually get an excuse to head out there I'll check it out! I haven't been to Miami in a long time but the closest I get to it in recent times is NOLA... I'll see!

Thank you guys for the advice! I'll look into all of these places and keep an open mind.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:56 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,036,932 times
Sounds like you haven't really explored AZ, or at least you've been just been around Tucson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.