Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:46 AM

50 posts, read 73,751 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody. Before i start, i want to apologize, if my topic doesn't match this forum. I just googled some "american forum", to ask advice from Americans, who live in USA, and i found these web-site. If i was wrong, sorry about that.

Recently i have obtained greencard and now i'm planning to move to USA and start my new life there. Basically i have typical problems and questions, that probably any immigrant have. And i hope that people here will help me with advice.

So my problem is that i absolutely don't know, where to move exactly. I mean in what state/city. Unfortunately, i almost don't know anything about your country, exept basic historical course, that i learned in school.

I want to move to some city, buy apartment, start learn English (because i have problem with understanding fluent english speech, and ask person every time to speak slowly is very embarassing for me), start learning how to drive a car, obtain driver license and buy the car eventually. After that i hope to find some job there (IT), but probably before that i have to get some certificates. Anyway, this is my plan.

I lived some time in Miami-Florida (in Kendall area, i'm still not shure, is it part of Miami or a different city, because all city-town-state system in USA is very confusing and complicated for me), it was my first and only experience of living in foreign country. Compared with my country (Russia), there (in Miami) everything is absolutely different, different measuring system (temperature in Fahrenheit, distance in miles), different people and culture, rules, laws, weather (extremely hot for me) - everything is different. Absolutely unknown world. But because i have greencard, i want to use my chance to try my new life there, despite all difficulties.

So what place should i choose? First i thought about New-York, but the fact that too many russians already immigrated there changed my mind. Second i thought about Miami, but the weather is too hot for me. Currently i am thinking that it will be good to find some big city (big, because i need to find job), where majority of people are native Americans (not immigrants, a mean, english language and american culture must be their native). I think, it will help me to learn language better and quicker, and also, it will probable let me learn, how to contact with Americans, what they like and what they don't like and etc..

I need to find some place, where life is cheap and there is also a lot of job (especially in IT), and where is possible to find and buy cheap apartment or flat (maximum price, i guess, is 80000$). Or, if i cannot find so cheap apartment in USA, to be able to rent some room of apartment with not very big rent per month. For example, i have been on craiglist, i selected apts\housing, but there i didn't find how to filter lists to find apartments for sale! Only for rent, and it is very confusing. I think i do something wrong, but i don't know what exactly.

Anyway i will be very thankful for every comment and advice. If somebody will contact me in facebook or by e-mail, it will be great too, because i don't know anybody in USA, and you know, it is always good to have someone, who can help with advice or personal opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 12:03 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
IT jobs, cheap to live, not hot weather, low immigrant population.

I can't think of any place where life is cheap and there are also a lot of IT jobs. It jobs tend to be in big cities and big cities tend to be expensive.

If you would settle for a small town with limited IT jobs, then Prineville Oregon meets your other requirements. It's a very small town where a lot of huge internet companies are setting up businesses. I'd arrange a job before I moved there. I think the number of good paying positions are limited. Most are worker bee positions.

Weather is cold, dry, and sunny.

But you could buy a very small house for $80,000 US, there is a major hospital within 30 miles for medical care. There is a Russian Church in La Pine, which is about 60 miles away, so there is a small Russian community that is very supportive of its members.

If you google Craigslist Bend Oregon, Prineville real estate listings for both sale and rent are in there, so you can look.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:41 PM

50 posts, read 73,751 times
Thank you for answer.

Quote:
I can't think of any place where life is cheap and there are also a lot of IT jobs. It jobs tend to be in big cities and big cities tend to be expensive.
Ok, and what is the typical cost of life in big cities? I mean, how much money do people spend per month on 1 person? I understand, that it is very individually, but in average, how much is necessary to spend for taxes, gas and other car maintenance, insurance and other things per month for one single man? Could you just give me an average level of spendings? Thanks

Old 10-31-2013, 02:15 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
The US doesn't typically "buy/sell" apartments or flats like foreign countries do. Maybe in bigger cities like New York City but typically they're just rentals unless you're looking to buy the entire complex. Maybe you should be looking into condominiums or townhouses.

Cost of living can vary greatly even between large cities. NYC, LA, Chicago, Washington DC and San Francisco can be very expensive where Atlanta, Minneapolis, Dallas and Nashville can be quite affordable. Then again, the salaries usually match the cost of living.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
I was thinking Boston, Minneapolis, St. Louis or maybe Denver would be some good places to start. All have a moderate tech scene, all have weather you're probably more accustomed to (with cold winters and hot summers), all are affordable (except Boston, which frankly isn't), and all are big cities with plenty of "native Americans" (a "Native American" in America refers to the people who originally settled the area well before Europeans, etc. came and "discovered" the country in 1492 and beyond. They generally have olive-colored skin and dark hair, and most live on reservations of land or big cities and most are very poor and under-represented in this country).

P.S. sorry for the quasi history lesson.....I am NOT the person to be telling anyone about any historical events, but I did my best off the cuff (off the top of my head).

Old 10-31-2013, 11:46 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Welcome back to the US! (when you finally do make it)

The first comment I have after reading your intro is that you really need not worry about high immigrant population. Pretty much any city you go to will have plenty of native speakers following American customs from whom you can learn and practice. New York, for example, may have a large Russian community and a huge immigrant population in general, but you'll have no trouble learning what Americans say, do, like, etc. What you experienced in the Miami area is an anomaly, but even there you shouldn't have any trouble meeting native English speakers if that's what you want.

Ok, as far as IT jobs and low cost of living...I dont know much about computer sciences but it seems to me like IT workers are found anywhere businesses are...that is, everywhere! But where might you find the most available jobs in this field? I dont know. Tech industry in general does have a number of known hubs...as far as where this might coincide with a low cost of living, places that jump out to me are Florida, Texas, North Carolina, Atlanta and Nashville. Eliminating the really hot weather, I'd focus on Dallas, Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta and Nashville. These aren't the only cities you should consider, but they're the ones I think of for job opportunities in tech with low cost of living and bearable summer temperatures.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:35 AM

24,524 posts, read 10,846,327 times
You say you "obtained a Green Card". Did you win in the Diversity Lottery? If so - have you activated the card?

Old 11-01-2013, 08:22 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,497 times
You should do some research into a city called Chicago. It is very big- the 3rd largest city in the US, but it tends to not be as expensive as the other major cities.

Chicago has enough of an immigrant and international presence that a Russian accent won't seem out of place, but its still much more domestically American than New York, Los Angeles, San Fransisco or Washington DC.

Chicago is an architecturally beautiful city, with many impressive buildings. It sits right next to Lake Michigan, and there are many parks along the coast. There are tons of options for food, entertainment, and art, along with good public transportation to take you wherever you need to go. I don't know whether or not you plan on owning a car, but its easy to live in Chicago without one.

Chicago is an amazing city, but here are the three worst things about it:

Weather: Winters last a long time. It gets very cold and snows a lot, but coming from Russia this might not be a shock to you...and you mentioned that Miami was too hot.

Crime: Chicago has serious problems with crime and gang violence- however, the vast majority of it is isolated to certain areas, and it doesn't affect the whole city. Its really only certain parts of the south side that have a major issue with violent crime- you wouldn't be living there, and you can enjoy everything the city has to offer without ever even stepping foot in the bad areas. Most of the city is quite safe.

Isolated: While most of the big cities in the US are on the coastline, Chicago sits in the middle of the country. Its a long way away from just about everything...for example, driving from Chicago to New York City would take 12 hours. However, there are major airports in Chicago that offer pretty affordable flights wherever you want to go.

The US has a huge variety of cities, so the choice you make will probably come down to where you can find a job and what you can afford. All of the big cities in the US are fairly expensive- Chicago is cheaper than most, but still more expensive than living in the suburbs. If its very important for you to live cheaply, you should probably look at smaller and medium sized cities...for example, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Providence, Portland, Denver, maybe even Seattle.

There are so many options...maybe you can tell us some other things you're looking for? Do you want a massive city with millions of people, or something smaller? Do you want to own a car, or would you prefer to just use public transportation? How much in US dollars would you want to spend renting an apartment each month?

Old 11-01-2013, 09:36 AM

830 posts, read 1,018,673 times
Why hasn't anyone brought up one of the more obvious choices? Philadelphia is both less expensive, and probably one of the most comfortable cities for newcomers to the United States, especially from Russia. Think I'm wrong? It's not about outward appearance, it is about the disposition of the people there, affordability, transit options, and the amenable quality of life. The weather is appropriately temperate too! I know people think of Philly as the quintessential American city, but that is actually what makes a good city to transition into from abroad.

Now, as far as tech sector, you have a plethora of under-tapped, emerging companies and established ones in Valley Forge, Exton, and Conshy. Really it's a winning prospect. I vote Philadelphia.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:54 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Why hasn't anyone brought up one of the more obvious choices? Philadelphia is both less expensive, and probably one of the most comfortable cities for newcomers to the United States, especially from Russia. Think I'm wrong? It's not about outward appearance, it is about the disposition of the people there, affordability, transit options, and the amenable quality of life. The weather is appropriately temperate too! I know people think of Philly as the quintessential American city, but that is actually what makes a good city to transition into from abroad.

Now, as far as tech sector, you have a plethora of under-tapped, emerging companies and established ones in Valley Forge, Exton, and Conshy. Really it's a winning prospect. I vote Philadelphia.
Philly was the first city that popped into my head as well but I don't know enough about it to defend my answer .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.