U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:44 PM

56,082 posts, read 54,565,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
I live in Western NY and Evergreen trees are abundant here. I have not been around many other areas of NY State aside from NYC but if there are a ton of Evergreens in my section I could imagine there are a number in the more mountainous sections of the state.
My cousin lives in Eastern WA. She sent some pics, and I was surprised to see that it looks like a desert.

Here are the Adirondacks in the winter. Not barren, and not brown.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Imag...2F%3B347%3B436
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 01:08 PM

215 posts, read 303,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My cousin lives in Eastern WA. She sent some pics, and I was surprised to see that it looks like a desert.

Here are the Adirondacks in the winter. Not barren, and not brown.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Imag...2F%3B347%3B436
That's beautiful!!! I want to go to the Adirondacks sometime in my life. I would also love to visit Washington, but living in New York I see so many misconceptions about NYS that always boggle my mind, such as an alleged "lack of evergreens"

Old 02-20-2014, 07:23 AM

56,082 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
That's beautiful!!! I want to go to the Adirondacks sometime in my life. I would also love to visit Washington, but living in New York I see so many misconceptions about NYS that always boggle my mind, such as an alleged "lack of evergreens"
Yes, there are a lot of misconceptions. Someone posted on one of these threads once that they were surprised to see how sparsely populated most of New York was. I guess maybe he thought it ALL looked like Manhattan?

NYC is a lot of people living on a tiny bit of land sticking out at the southernmost point of the state, most of it islands (except for the Bronx). I think 40% of the state's population lives in the metropolitan area, and the other 60% are spread out over the huge expanse of the rest of NY State. There are a few other good-sized cities like Buffalo and Rochester, but it's mostly farmland--and the enormous Adirondacks. Even Albany, the capital, isn't all that big. Just the fact that it takes about seven hours to drive from NYC city to Rochester should give people a clue that there's a lot of open space in New York.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 546 times
I'm moving from Dansville ny ( 45 miles south of Rochester and 70 miles southeast of buffalo) to Washington state in June. I want to live near higher elevations for skiing purposes but I want the lake effect super heavy snow lifestyle in my life. What would be the ideal area or location to find this, If any??? 650 is my ideal rent limitation

Old 04-05-2015, 06:14 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,512,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Rochester may be more like a PNW city in terms of a mix of grittiness and white collarness. On street view, Spokane and Syracuse look similar in terms of Downtowns.

There is a Native American presence in both and the types of fruit grown are similar. Both have a strong dairy farm presence too.
They feel VERY similar, even outside downtown. Both are in the middle of small valleys. There's a lot of two-story wooden homes. The people in both cities seem down-to-earth and pleasant, but somewhat aloof and reserved. Both cities struck me as being predominately blue-collar with a noticeable "granola" sub-culture. Both struck me as center-left politically in the city proper and center-right in the surrounding area. Both cities are home to a large, private university with a good basketball team.

Spokane: https://goo.gl/maps/9M00K
Syracuse: https://goo.gl/maps/43H5s

And, of course, there's lots of cherries to be had in early summer and lots of apples in the fall.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:33 PM

104 posts, read 97,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
I don't see the connection. I also don't view Washington as "gritty" at all.
It does have plenty of sections that are gritty - places like Aberdeen, Yakima, Tacoma, Pasco, etc.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Besides bordering Canada and a history of "Yankee" settlement, I don't see much in common.

What is an example of PNW city with a Rochester-esque "mix of white collarness and grittiness"?
Tacoma, for sure. I'd also add Bremerton.

I do think WA is the grittiest Western state. Many who haven't been there are surprised by this because Seattle is (rightly) not viewed as a particularly gritty city overall, but the truth is that many of the cities outside of Seattle are fairly gritty and blue-collar feeling, with a few obvious exceptions like Bellingham and Olympia. But even those have significant blue-collar sections.

Last edited by DANNNY__; 04-06-2015 at 03:46 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What about Everett?
Everett definitely has a gritty, blue-collar vibe, as do several cities in Eastern Washington, including Yakima, Pasco, Wenatchee and portions of Spokane.

Some places in Washington, like Aberdeen or Longview, go beyond "gritty" and more into wasteland territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or