U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:35 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You also have to take into account population/percentage.

If a city has 300,000 residents and 100 people are murdered, it's gonna be a big percentage.

If a city has 6,000,000 residents and 100 people are murdered, it's not going to show up as much in ratings.

Chicago is not necessarily safer than these cities; it does however have a much larger population.
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
One has to wonder what is occurring in these cities and who is being killed. In Miami the Miami Herald studied the murder stats for the city and found that over 60% of the murders where black men under the age of 35. The rest were basically domestic violence related and few were things like a random robbery.
I can only imagine the same is true for Chicago. Murder rates don't imply that a city is dangerous.
and this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 AM

10,559 posts, read 13,118,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You also have to take into account population/percentage.

If a city has 300,000 residents and 100 people are murdered, it's gonna be a big percentage.

If a city has 6,000,000 residents and 100 people are murdered, it's not going to show up as much in ratings.

Chicago is not necessarily safer than these cities; it does however have a much larger population.
Your first three statements are correct, the bold makes no sense when taking into account the first statements.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:20 AM

10,559 posts, read 13,118,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
One has to wonder what is occurring in these cities and who is being killed. In Miami the Miami Herald studied the murder stats for the city and found that over 60% of the murders where black men under the age of 35. The rest were basically domestic violence related and few were things like a random robbery.
I can only imagine the same is true for Chicago. Murder rates don't imply that a city is dangerous.
It is unfortunately. About 80% of homicide victims in Chicago are african american. About 17% are hispanic and about 3% are white and asian.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:38 AM

17,249 posts, read 19,545,740 times
People with a lot of money have a VERY low probability of getting murdered anywhere in the United States.

Even violent criminals know better than to even think about targeting those people.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:42 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,360,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe View Post
What a post to be starting on Halloween, huh?

So this is something I've been researching for a while. I went on this website http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...abledatadecpdf and looked at the data.

Here are the top 10 large metropolitan cities (main city and suburbs) with a population of over 1,000,000 with the highest murder crime rates.

1. New Orleans-Metairie, LA ... 20.6 murder rate
2. Memphis, TN-MS-AR ... 11.5 murder rate
3. Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI ... 10.9 murder rate
4. Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD ... 9.5 murder rate
5. Birmingham-Hoover, AL ... 9.4 murder rate
6. Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD ... 8.6 murder rate
7. Jacksonville, FL ... 8.0 murder rate
8. Oklahoma City, OK ... 8.0 murder rate
9. Kansas City, MO-KS ... 7.7 murder rate
10. St. Louis, MO-IL ... 7.3 murder rate

If you look at the list you'll see most of the cities are in the South and Midwest.

I think the murder rate is probably the best gauge of an area's safety from crime. Because with homicide police really can't under report it or categorize as a different crime like you could do with robbery or assault.

One special mention though would be for the San Juan-Carolina-Caguas, Puerto Rico metro area. It had a murder rate of 32.0. Nearly 3 times the rate of Memphis or Detroit and much worse than even New Orleans. It had 742 murders with only a population of 2.3 million.
I believe that #10 should be EAST St. Louis, which is actually in Illinois.

I am going to pull up a chair and see how long it takes before someone makes a statement recognizing the OBVIOUS (painfully obvious) common denominator here. Where the problem *actually* lies.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-01-2013, 08:51 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
How in the world does Chicago never show up on any of these list?
Cause in reality it's not exceptional when it comes to crime rates. I honestly think a lot of it is the city's lightning rod because Obama is from here, so when he's always under attack they go after everything associated with him. I mean you don't see Atlanta, Indianapolis or Washington DC being screamed at as crime infested wastelands and they're more violent than Chicago.

It has a lot of murders, but the media attention it gets for them far outshines the reality in regards to how it stacks up against most other cities. LA and NYC are certainly safer, and are among the more safe cities in the country in regards to murders, so while Chicago is higher than those it's middle of the pack in regards to actual homicide rates and violent crime rates.

25% of murders happened in 3 neighborhoods containing 4% of the population. 50% of murders have happened in 8 of the city's 77 neighorhods that have 13% of the city's population. 66% of the murders have happened in areas with only 20% of the population. The metro area outside of some select southern suburbs and Gary and EXTREMELY safe, especially as far as murders. I was reading that while back DuPage County with nearly 1,000,000 residents went over an entire year with no murders.

Most of the people living in the city look at the blasting news coverage of violence in Chicago with the same "it's a world away" and confused shock as everyone else in the country hundreds or thousands of miles away. Pile onto that the segregation of the murders, where 80% are black, 18% hispanic and 2% white in a city that's roughly 1/3 of each and the white and black populations have vastly different experiences of living in the city and dealing with violence.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,917,636 times
New Orleans is inundated by urban males who behave like thugs. It is surreal but the locals are used to it. They're content so long as MOST of the murder victims are black. I can say that the thievery is prevalent everywhere and that the NOPD is able to fudge the numbers on all crimes except murders. Ive had urban males rob myself and/or coworkers and usually the NOPD acts like we have wasted their time by calling them.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:56 AM

2,025 posts, read 2,353,110 times
Chicago gets it from the left and right, the East and the West. For Republicans, it is Obama's hometown, from Coastal liberals, it is the capital of the Midwest, an unknown and uncontrollable flyover monster (and for the East Coast, an affront to their God-given right to rule over America).

The good news is Chicago doesn't care.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:05 AM

6,418 posts, read 10,864,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I believe that #10 should be EAST St. Louis, which is actually in Illinois
The list is for metropolitan areas.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:05 AM

56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
How in the world does Chicago never show up on any of these list?
I believe that it is for the metro area, not just the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.