U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,287,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Many rural murders are caused by long-standing family feuds (no, really). They are very rarely random and do not affect parties that are not involved in the dispute.

20yrsinBranson
This is also true about urban murders. In the vast majority of murders (at least in Chicago) the victim and the perpetrator know each other. (This is not to lessen the importance of these homicides, all homicides are bad.) Very rarely you hear about the random innocent bystander being killed, but these are newsworthy precisely because they are rare (Hadiya Pendleton, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 AM

4,370 posts, read 5,144,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Cause in reality it's not exceptional when it comes to crime rates. I honestly think a lot of it is the city's lightning rod because Obama is from here, so when he's always under attack they go after everything associated with him. I mean you don't see Atlanta, Indianapolis or Washington DC being screamed at as crime infested wastelands and they're more violent than Chicago.

It has a lot of murders, but the media attention it gets for them far outshines the reality in regards to how it stacks up against most other cities. LA and NYC are certainly safer, and are among the more safe cities in the country in regards to murders, so while Chicago is higher than those it's middle of the pack in regards to actual homicide rates and violent crime rates.

25% of murders happened in 3 neighborhoods containing 4% of the population. 50% of murders have happened in 8 of the city's 77 neighorhods that have 13% of the city's population. 66% of the murders have happened in areas with only 20% of the population. The metro area outside of some select southern suburbs and Gary and EXTREMELY safe, especially as far as murders. I was reading that while back DuPage County with nearly 1,000,000 residents went over an entire year with no murders.

Most of the people living in the city look at the blasting news coverage of violence in Chicago with the same "it's a world away" and confused shock as everyone else in the country hundreds or thousands of miles away. Pile onto that the segregation of the murders, where 80% are black, 18% hispanic and 2% white in a city that's roughly 1/3 of each and the white and black populations have vastly different experiences of living in the city and dealing with violence.

Atlanta is not a violet city. People who think Atlanta has crime really don't understand. Atlanta is probably one of the safer cities it's size. But make no mistake, there is a hell of a lot more crime going on in Chicago than Atlanta or DC

Old 11-01-2013, 11:56 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Atlanta is not a violet city. People who think Atlanta has crime really don't understand. Atlanta is probably one of the safer cities it's size. But make no mistake, there is a hell of a lot more crime going on in Chicago than Atlanta or DC
So I guess all those actual crime statistics are just worthless?

Old 11-01-2013, 12:06 PM

11,435 posts, read 6,404,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You can denigrate a rural lifestyle all you want but unlike Things and Stuff, I have never been robbed, nor do I even know anyone who has been robbed, shot at, car jacked, etc. I'm sure that being a stellar New Orleans citizen YOU cannot say the same thing. If you like living with criminals and thugs in "Urban" squalor, more power to you. Personally, I like being able to go anywhere, anytime, by myself and knowing that the odds of my encountering any criminal activity is practically ZERO. I'm sure the majority of people living in the cities on the OP's list cannot say that.

Rednecks - 1 "Urbanites" - 0
Rural areas are fine. Even though they have their share of problems, a lot of people I noticed are hard working and there is a real sense of community.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Rural areas are fine. Even though they have their share of problems, a lot of people I noticed are hard working and there is a real sense of community.
Sounds like most neighborhoods outside of the Hamptons.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:46 PM

150 posts, read 306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
How in the world does Chicago never show up on any of these list?

Chicago is number 11 on the list.

The actual city of Chicago is pretty violent but it's surrounded by very safe suburbs.

Here's the full list of cities followed by there metro murder rate....

1. New Orleans-Metairie, LA ... 20.6
2. Memphis, TN-MS-AR ... 11.5
3. Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI ... 10.9
4. Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD ... 9.5
5. Birmingham-Hoover, AL ... 9.4
6. Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD ... 8.6
7. Jacksonville, FL ... 8.0
7. Oklahoma City, OK ... 8.0
9. Kansas City, MO-KS ... 7.7
10. St. Louis, MO-IL ... 7.3
11. Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI ... 7.1
12. Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI ... 6.9
13. Richmond, VA ... 6.8
13. Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC ... 6.8
15. San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA ... 6.5
16. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL ... 6.3
17. Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN ... 6.2
18. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA ... 6.1
19. Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN ... 6.0
20. Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX ... 5.7
20. Tucson, AZ ... 5.7
22. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ ... 5.3
23. Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN ... 5.1
23. San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX ... 5.1
25. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA ... 5.0
25. Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL ... 5.0
27. Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV ... 4.8
28. Buffalo-Cheektowaga-Niagara Falls, NY ... 4.7
29. Pittsburgh, PA ... 4.2
30. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX ... 4.1
30. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA ... 4.1
32. Rochester, NY ... 4.0
33. Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO ... 3.9
33. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL ... 3.9
35. New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA ... 3.8
35. Sacramento--Roseville--Arden-Arcade, CA ... 3.8
37. Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT ... 3.6
37. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV ... 3.6
39. Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN ... 3.5
40. San Diego-Carlsbad, CA ... 3.4
41. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA ... 3.0
42. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA ... 2.9
43. Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA ... 2.4
43. Providence-Warwick, RI-MA ... 2.4
45. Austin-Round Rock, TX ... 2.2
45. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI ... 2.2
45. Salt Lake City, UT ... 2.2
48. Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH ... 2.1
49. Raleigh, NC ... 1.8

Old 11-01-2013, 02:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,967,271 times
It'd be interesting to see how the ranking changed from 20 years ago.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:42 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Quote:
They actually are unless you are a gang member.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:05 PM

4,370 posts, read 5,144,310 times
Quote:

A lot of murders and actual crimes in Atlanta are due to domestic violence. Nothing related to the streets or gangs. There aren't any gangs in Atlanta, at least none that are very powerful or influential. It has drug activity like any city, but for the most part the city is safe. I've been to every corner of Atlanta, and I never felt like my life was at risk anywhere I was.

Crime statistics are somewhat important though. I think they are very important for gangs. People sometimes justify the violence or murders in their cities stating that it's gang violence. But a lot of gangs fire guns openly in the streets, they can't shoot, and are likely to hit innocent bystanders. This is an issue of safety, even if a gang member may not personally harass you.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:09 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,313,890 times
Man... I'm glad LA is cleaning up. 20 years ago we would have been top 3 easy,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.