U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:14 PM

17,259 posts, read 19,555,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe View Post
Chicago is number 11 on the list.

The actual city of Chicago is pretty violent but it's surrounded by very safe suburbs.

Here's the full list of cities followed by there metro murder rate....

1. New Orleans-Metairie, LA ... 20.6
2. Memphis, TN-MS-AR ... 11.5
3. Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI ... 10.9
4. Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD ... 9.5
5. Birmingham-Hoover, AL ... 9.4
6. Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD ... 8.6
7. Jacksonville, FL ... 8.0
7. Oklahoma City, OK ... 8.0
9. Kansas City, MO-KS ... 7.7
10. St. Louis, MO-IL ... 7.3
11. Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI ... 7.1
12. Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI ... 6.9
13. Richmond, VA ... 6.8
13. Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC ... 6.8
15. San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA ... 6.5
16. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach, FL ... 6.3
17. Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN ... 6.2
18. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA ... 6.1
19. Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN ... 6.0
20. Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX ... 5.7
20. Tucson, AZ ... 5.7
22. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ ... 5.3
23. Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN ... 5.1
23. San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX ... 5.1
25. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA ... 5.0
25. Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL ... 5.0
27. Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise, NV ... 4.8
28. Buffalo-Cheektowaga-Niagara Falls, NY ... 4.7
29. Pittsburgh, PA ... 4.2
30. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX ... 4.1
30. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA ... 4.1
32. Rochester, NY ... 4.0
33. Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO ... 3.9
33. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL ... 3.9
35. New York-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA ... 3.8
35. Sacramento--Roseville--Arden-Arcade, CA ... 3.8
37. Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT ... 3.6
37. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV ... 3.6
39. Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN ... 3.5
40. San Diego-Carlsbad, CA ... 3.4
41. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA ... 3.0
42. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA ... 2.9
43. Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA ... 2.4
43. Providence-Warwick, RI-MA ... 2.4
45. Austin-Round Rock, TX ... 2.2
45. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI ... 2.2
45. Salt Lake City, UT ... 2.2
48. Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH ... 2.1
49. Raleigh, NC ... 1.8
It's interesting to see the present-day numbers for the Washington, D.C. area - considering that it was the "murder capital" 2 decades ago.

Now it's below Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York,... almost as low as Seattle. Kind of impressive, but still at lot of work to do in certain areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 03:26 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,290,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's interesting to see the present-day numbers for the Washington, D.C. area - considering that it was the "murder capital" 2 decades ago.

Now it's below Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York,... almost as low as Seattle. Kind of impressive, but still at lot of work to do in certain areas.
These are metro area statistics. While the city of DC was once a "murder capital", I'm not sure if the metro area ever was, especially given how small a percentage of the total metro population the city of DC comprises.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:37 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,381,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
These are metro area statistics. While the city of DC was once a "murder capital", I'm not sure if the metro area ever was, especially given how small a percentage of the total metro population the city of DC comprises.
It's almost always New Orleans. A larger degree of crime in the suburban areas than is typical for a city. Normally the suburbs tend to be extremely safe.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Washington, DC had 479 murders in 1990 and a metro population of 3.36 million. Assuming all the murder were all in the city limits, that's a metro murder rate of 14.3/100k.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:49 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,364,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
This thread is racist.
Nah, thats just 20yrsinBranson. Excuse her. She has trouble with the whole "intellect and maturity" thing.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:30 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,769,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I believe that #10 should be EAST St. Louis, which is actually in Illinois.

I am going to pull up a chair and see how long it takes before someone makes a statement recognizing the OBVIOUS (painfully obvious) common denominator here. Where the problem *actually* lies.

20yrsinBranson
Uh... try reading the chart again. East St Louis IS at #10. This is a list of metro areas. It even mentions IL right next to MO in the ranking.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:11 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,427,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
We can only hope that eventually they will all kill each other off and make the world a better place for decent people.

20yrsinBranson
You can take every murder committed by Black thugs and gang members (all of whom were created right here in the criminal enterprise of America) and that number would be MINISCULE compared to the number of murders committed by Europeans.

You all have all but eradicated the indigenous population of this land, same with the Tasmanians.

Untold numbers were MURDERED during the entire process of enslaving African people! You steal people! Whether you believe that they are people or not, you Maryland farmers are thieves!

You've dropped a nuclear bomb on people.

Over 60 million people died in WWII alone!

The Goths, Visigoths, Vandals, Saxons, YOU!

You all are war mongers!

Collectively, you are the world's most adept killers!

Saint Valentine's massacre, YOU!

The Jewish Holocaust, YOU!

The Mafia, YOU!

The largest gangs in the world are the Navy, Marines, Air Force, and the Army.

It is only via an intense propaganda campaign that Black folk are seen as criminal. Just as you have been propagandized to believe that you all are "decent people." Give me a freaking break! Not literally, however.

Facts and figures bear out European criminality.

"THE only reason that you all are not out in the streets, holding a gun to the collective temple of society is because your forefathers have already done it for you!" Dr. Amos Wilson

Old 11-02-2013, 12:00 PM

150 posts, read 307,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It'd be interesting to see how the ranking changed from 20 years ago.

Well after some internet searching I have found the 1991 FBI Uniform Crime Report. And let me tell you back 20 years ago cities were way more bloodier than they are today.

You're going to have to zoom in on the page to see it good....

https://archive.org/stream/uniformcr...ge/79/mode/1up

Here are the top 10 murderous city metros for the year 1991 and there homicide rates...

1. New Orleans, LA ... 35.2
2. New York, NY ... 25.7
3. Dallas, TX ... 23.9
4. Houston, TX ... 22.9
5. Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA ... 20.5
6. Miami-Hialeah, FL ... 18.2
7. Washington, DC-MD-VA ... 18.1
8. San Antonio, TX ... 17.9
9. Fort Worth-Arlington, TX ... 17.8
10. Chicago, IL ... 16.9

Just goes to show you how bad crime was 20 years ago. In 1991 the national murder rate was 9.8 compared to last years 4.7.

Here's a new article from back then showing how bad it was...

Preliminary 1991 Figures Show Drop in Homicides - NYTimes.com

Old 11-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 22 days ago)

10,507 posts, read 14,330,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I honestly think a lot of it is the city's lightning rod because Obama is from here, so when he's always under attack they go after everything associated with him. I mean you don't see Atlanta, Indianapolis or Washington DC being screamed at as crime infested wastelands and they're more violent than Chicago.
I don't think Obama is the reason, Chicago has had a bad rep for as far back as I can remember, and I'm old.
Ditto for Atlanta.
DC used to have a very bad rep too, until someone got embarrassed and they decided to clean up our capital a little bit.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe View Post
Well after some internet searching I have found the 1991 FBI Uniform Crime Report. And let me tell you back 20 years ago cities were way more bloodier than they are today.
Thanks for the numbers but the NYC metro stats only include NYC and the suburbs north of the city within NY State. Long Island and North Jersey are counted separately. Adding them up, I get a murder rate of 18.9 per 100k for a metro population of 13.1 million. Metro population is still low, I'm missing a region, but I'm closer. I'd guess if I got all of it NYC would still just make the top 10. Possible a few other metros are separated, too. I'd have to check. Here are some international comparison, of unclear accuracy:

List of metropolitan areas by intentional homicide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.