U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,769,975 times

Advertisements

No, just use a snow blower. It might snow too much for a snow blower like once a year and that's awful, but honestly still not terribly much worse than raking or mowing the lawn or any other outdoor chore.

Driving is just a bit slower and you have to pay attention. In urban parts of cities it's essentially no different than other parts of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 08:01 PM

10,582 posts, read 14,373,391 times
It takes an awful lot of snow falling in a short period to jam a door, not the sort of thing that is a common occurrence. Like the poster above I only remember it happening once, back in the late 70's when we lived along Lake Michigan.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:30 PM

12,083 posts, read 34,211,048 times
Haven't shoveled snow from a driveway in a long time... snowblower is the way to go. I prefer to snow-blow the driveway over mowing the grass all summer. You have to crank up the blower maybe a couple times a month for 3 or 4 months, then it takes about 20-30 minutes to clear the driveway. Much better than mowing the frigging grass 1-2 times a week at over an hour each time. The only thing I shovel is the front 3 steps and that takes about 5 minutes... unless I pawn off the entire snow removal task to my 16 year old son, then I sit back and enjoy the griping and complaining .

As for jamming a door, I can't remember the last time that happened.

Oh yeah, I live on the West side of Michigan about 7 miles from Lake Michigan. Don't get a ton of snow, average only 100" a year here. Better than the 20 years I lived in Northern Maine, or the years sent in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Jeeze, those areas can get some real snowfall amounts.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:43 PM

12,700 posts, read 10,548,522 times
Shovelling snow really isn't that big of a deal. If snow's that heavy and there's a lot of it, you use a snowblower and shovel your stairs if you have them. Really not the end of the world. You can salt your own steps and driveway, too. It's not like it snows endlessly in the winter, at least where I live. There's a passing storm and whether it dumps 1 inch of snow or 3 feet of snow, it's done snowing in 3 days at the very most. You shovel or snow blow in intervals while the town/city plows and salts your street and there you go. It's all most dangerous when it's actually snowing.

I've skidded out before driving in snow. Once most recently I did so twice in the same trip, it had rained then snowed so there was some ice beneath a dusting of snow and it really is terrifying. One of the two times on this night I skidded out I was going downhill which nearly gave me a heart attack but you just have to be careful. Drive very slow, keep a lot of space between you and the person in front of you. And most importantly, if it's that bad you don't drive. If it's that bad most things will be shut down anyway so what are you driving to?

I think people exaggerate winter and snow in the NE and other snowy areas. It's not that awful IMO and it's not like we shovel snow all day every day. I think people not used to it, not from the area or an area used to snow, like to moan about it as if it's the end of the world when it snows. It's funny, I have family in SC and when it snows a couple inches there, school is cancelled and kids go out to play. They say it's usually gone by the afternoon when the sun comes out but the town literally will shut down for the tiniest bit of snow. How cute, right?

And call me stupid but I really don't know what you mean by "doors jamming"

EDIT: Just realized, this did happen recently - blizzard of 2010 when my area got 32 inches. We had to go out through our garage door to clear our front and back doors. It wasn't that bad, though.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:27 AM

6,531 posts, read 7,487,675 times
People up north, at least those who live in snow belts are used to snow so things like snow removal are second nature. Most people up there own big snow blowers which can cost upward of 1000 dollars or more. Tools like that make the job far more bearable.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:28 AM

21,393 posts, read 21,961,490 times
I live in Minnesota and spend a fraction of the time shoveling or snow blowing in the winter as I do mowing the yard in the summer. Haven't tried door jam but I don't get over to Wisconsin very much.

I've considered moving south one day once I'm retired as I've generally liked what I've seen of Iowa when I travel through.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 AM

4,327 posts, read 2,543,789 times
Drive slower in snow, yes, but to the asshat driving 35 in a 60 in front of me this morning I say, go home. You don't belong in Montana in November.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:04 AM

11,194 posts, read 22,419,385 times
If it snows regularly people will just grab a snowblower and be done with it in 10-15 minutes - no sweat (literally). Here in Chicago you can normally count on one hand how many times it snows enough you have to mess with shoveling or blowing. No idea what you mean about doors jamming. Snowblowers start at a few hundred dollars and last for years - or just get one at a garage sale.

Of course here most people with houses have an alley out back that gets plowed, and then the cars are in a garage just off the alley or out in front (in which case you have to shovel out a bit to clear a path for the car). Most of the time someone on the block has a snowblower and if you're halfway nice to your neighbors they'll just do the quick up and down the block (sidewalk is two snowblower widths - two passes) and get multiple houses in less than 10 minutes. Some people make an art out of snowblowing and get these big snowblowers and get all amped up to blow the whole damn block, haha. Or if you have older neighbors, I know my dad in Iowa will just go ahead and do the neighbors sidewalk and their driveway many times, then they'll get him back when it snows again a few weeks or a month later.

I think a lot of southerns have this thought that it snows every day or many times a week - I don't think that's true anywhere in the Midwest or Northeast unless I don't know about some weather patterns in the far northeast or something. Also this thought of shoveling snow all winter is very untrue. Unless you're down south where it hardly snows or have a very small walk out front just get a snowblower. Everyone in my neighborhood had one growing up and we were just in a lower-middle class area.

As someone else said, mowing the lawn and other yard work in the summer is many times longer than I can see anyone spending clearing snow in the winter.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:30 AM

4,178 posts, read 4,634,838 times
Here in Indianapolis, we usually only have to shovel snow 3 or 4 times a year. Other snows are typically an inch, maybe two. Even if we get 4 or 5 inches, if I see a warmup coming in a couple days, I won't bother shoveling. Just let it melt. And how hard shoveling is depends on the temperature. If it's close to freezing, it's going to be a wet, very heavy snow. That's the kind of snow that can make roofs collapse and is difficult to shovel. If it's really, cold, like lower 20s or colder, the snow is more likely to be very light, fluffy snow. Then it's a breeze to shovel but if there's much of a wind, it can blow right back onto the driveway.

I don't think I've ever head of door jamming so I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean car locks icing up? I've had that problem, especially when I lived in an apartment and had to park outside. I eventually learned to keep a small can of lock de-icer in my coat pocket. This is back before I had a car with keyless entry and I had to use the key to unlock it. I've had my car doors ice up to the point I have to really yank to get them open and many times I've had my windows refuse to roll down because they're iced shut.

Snow can be difficult to drive in, you just have to get used to it. Ice is a million times worse than snow and just an inch of snow seems to create ice buildup at intersections here in the city. I prefer 4 or 5 inches or snow over just an inch or less because snowplows can't do anything about an inch or less of snow and roads are more likely to get icy thanks to cars driving over the little bit of snow. I'd love to take public transportation to my job on snowy days but there is no public transportation where I live or where my job is (at least not without taking a 2 hour, one-way trip to somewhere 25 minutes away). But you just learn to drive slower, leave plenty of room between you and the car in front of you, and don't make sudden maneuvers. Don't swerve, don't slam on the brakes, don't suddenly press the accelerator. If you have anti-lock breaks, don't pump the breaks.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:47 PM

548 posts, read 657,417 times
I personally enjoy shoveling snow. I grew up in Central Wisconsin and think shoveling is actually kind of therapeutic. There are of course some annoyances, like finishing up shoveling the driveway only to have a snowplow create a giant wall between the driveway and the street. Or when its a rain snow mix so the snow is REALLY heavy. But overall it's an easy thing to do.

Driving in winter is not terrible either. Just go low and plan for ice.

Regarding public transit. I went car free 7 years ago when I was living in Milwaukee. I thought that winter would be miserable without a car, but I quickly learned that winter is the best time of year NOT to own a car. Snow emergencies suck when you have a car. Everyone has to get off the streets and there's nowhere to park. Inevitably your car will get plowed in. I also don't miss having to go outside in the cold to warm the car up. Walking out the door and jumping on a bus is SO much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.