Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 03:53 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Cities where people are waking around naked and reeks of **** is not sophisticated.
What cities are those again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 04:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Link?
It's pretty obvious going to these cities along with the numerous cultural and educational institutions there. The very fact these places exist and are doing well means a sophisticated populous must support them.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:19 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
What cities are those again?
Whatever city in you live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It's pretty obvious going to these cities along with the numerous cultural and educational institutions there. The very fact these places exist and are doing well means a sophisticated populous must support them.
But Houston has one of the most successful museum and theater districts in the country, yet were not sophisticated??? I don't what's more hilarious, your ignorance or the fact that unsophisticated CD people have become the judge of what's consider sophistication LOL

Old 11-09-2013, 06:33 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:

But Houston has one of the most successful museum and theater districts in the country, yet were not sophisticated??? I don't what's more hilarious, your ignorance or the fact that unsophisticated CD people have become the judge of what's consider sophistication LOL
Not really. Houston has "big" stuff like big steaks and burritos, big trucks, a big complex, an over inflated theater #'s , not relevant stuff.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:42 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The person who doesn't include Los Angeles, Chicago, and Phoenix as sophisticated I believe has unreasonably high standards. Same with Austin and Denver which I think are very cosmopolitan and sophisticated cities.

For cosmopolitan but unsophisticated I think large cities with a blue collar reputation like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Newark, Baltimore, Oakland, etc.
Phoenix?REALLY?Sophisticated?Let me guess:You are either from Phoenix or you live there?Either way you are way off the mark.This is true for Denver and Austin also.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:09 AM

Quote:
I don't see anything sophisticated about Philadelphia. It is known for cheesesteaks, rioting, trashy sports fans and a bell that was made in the 1700s. Both Philly and nearby Camden NJ are known for urban decay. I don't think there is anything sophisticated about Philly. As a region, Baltimore is more sophisticated than PHiladelphia.

Wheras Denver and Austin are white collar cities, and Austin is also a college town with lots of research as well as a major IT industry based there.
Let me see.
In The Rodin Museum is a museum which contains the largest collection of sculptor Auguste Rodin's works outside Paris.
The best-known of Rodin's works, The Thinker

Also In Philly
The Franklin Institute (named after the noted American scientist and statesman Benjamin Franklin) is a museum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and one of the oldest centers of science education and development in the United States, dating to 1824. The Institute also houses the Benjamin Franklin National Memorial.
Schukyll River and Boathouse Row is where the tradion of Rowing with the many Crews off the banks of the Schukyll River.Very old money.

The Main Line and Rittenhouse Square with families that are with genrational wealth.

Ivy League schools that date back centuries.

Not to mention an over $400B GDP economy that is either #1 or #2 in Pharmesutical research,huge Biomedicine and a huge higher education center.

Now please tell me how Austin,Denver or any other city you have mentioned can compare?
The ONLY thing they have is a more educated populace but without the arts,industry and higher end shopping and top hotels and resturants.

Not to mention they lack the diversity and multicuturalism of Philly.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:18 AM

Quote:

It lacks a highly educated populace,and the higher end shopping and dining scene are lacking.
It also lacks in its nightlife options.

Its arts and theater district might be the tops in the South but it still pales in comparison to NYC,Boston,D.C.,Philly,L.A.,Chicago,SF.

It is not a very walkable city that evokes some type of special feeling due to its tunnels in its core that detract from streetlife where and its opressively hot and humid,Cosmopolitan yes.Sophisticated...NOT so much.Not at all.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:59 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not really. Houston has "big" stuff like big steaks and burritos, big trucks, a big complex, an over inflated theater #'s , not relevant stuff.
Houston is one of only five cities in america to house all five proformace art

.opera sympony..ballet..teather..arts..year round
And one of only a few cities in the us to have it opera house. Win a tony....ocarand grammy

Old 11-10-2013, 09:19 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
I don't see anything sophisticated about Philadelphia. It is known for cheesesteaks, rioting, trashy sports fans and a bell that was made in the 1700s. Both Philly and nearby Camden NJ are known for urban decay. I don't think there is anything sophisticated about Philly. As a region, Baltimore is more sophisticated than PHiladelphia.

Wheras Denver and Austin are white collar cities, and Austin is also a college town with lots of research as well as a major IT industry based there.
If you think Philly is known for urban decay, then you obviously know nothing about the city past the 80's-90's.

No way Baltimore is more sophisticated than Philadelphia. And Austin is a college town with lots of research, but Philly blows Austin out of the water when it comes to higher ed, easily.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
It lacks a highly educated populace,and the higher end shopping and dining scene are lacking.
It also lacks in its nightlife options.

Its arts and theater district might be the tops in the South but it still pales in comparison to NYC,Boston,D.C.,Philly,L.A.,Chicago,SF.

It is not a very walkable city that evokes some type of special feeling due to its tunnels in its core that detract from streetlife where and its opressively hot and humid,Cosmopolitan yes.Sophisticated...NOT so much.Not at all.
OK, coming from the guy from Atlanta. Home of STDS and trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Houston is one of only five cities in america to house all five proformace art

.opera sympony..ballet..teather..arts..year round
And one of only a few cities in the us to have it opera house. Win a tony....ocarand grammy
None of that matters. Grapico will find some way to make all of that irrelevant. Maybe he'll get clever again and use one of this uber cool "yo mama" jokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.